[rec.video] Video Effects 3D

harald@leo.UUCP ( Harald Milne) (05/20/88)

	Personal evaluation follows:

	I've seen this package demonstrated at our local Amiga Video Users group,
and I was so impressed, I had to buy. So here's the scoop.

	VIDEFX3D is a new generation of video titling software for the Amiga.
Where previous video packages dealt with simple video overlay transitions,
this software does what is the equivelent of VideoScape3d, only much simpler.

	You can use stantard generated titles, use polyfonts, use chrome fonts,
etc. The fantastic thing about this package is the ability to move titles
in planes of 3 dimensions. Of course this takes some compute time, but the
playback is in realtime. The effects are very smooth and professional.

	You can view the motion of the titling effect in realtime via a wire
frame box surrounding the area of title. You can preview it realtime.

	This package has a very nice user interface, it is in fact unique for
the Amiga. Moving the mouse over various gadgets, you get instant help in
text. The help actually "moves" you into the proper steps to use this software.

	Another nice feature is you can extrude 2 dimensional titles and create
3 dimensional tittles.

	There are so many unique titling effects, it's hard to cover them all.
A few are:

	1) Hinge effects, you can spin or rotate titles as if they were hanging
on an abritrary "hinge" point.

	2) Shadow cast

	3) Zoom control

	4) Wipe transitions

	5) And best of all, Shatter.

	This software assumes you use tools such as Dpaint, etc.

	There are a few limitations.

	One, a maximum of 8 color palettes. One color is used for fade transition.
There is also a limition of the number of colors that can be used versus the
ability to playback in realtime. This especially effects chrome fonts.

	Well I could go on, but I'm out of time.

--
Work: Computer Consoles Inc. (CCI), Advanced Development Group (ADG)
      Irvine, CA (RISCy business!)

tnagreen@trillium.waterloo.edu (Lance Arthur 'Bones' Sibley) (05/24/88)

In article <3073@leo.UUCP> harald@leo.UUCP ( Harald Milne) writes:

>	VIDEFX3D is a new generation of video titling software for the Amiga.
>Where previous video packages dealt with simple video overlay transitions,
>this software does what is the equivelent of VideoScape3d, only much simpler.
>
>	You can use stantard generated titles, use polyfonts, use chrome fonts,
>etc. The fantastic thing about this package is the ability to move titles
>in planes of 3 dimensions. Of course this takes some compute time, but the
>playback is in realtime. The effects are very smooth and professional.

  Is there anything like this available for an Atari 1040ST? I am
  involved with a group called Slipshod productions which produces
  Star Trek parodies on video (NB this is for our own personal
  enjoyment, and *not* for profit; we don't plan on selling
  *anything* we produce, merely showing them at conventions, *free
  of charge*). Anyway, I have an Atari 1040ST, but I know next to
  nothing about graphics. It would be nice if I could get this
  package for my machine and then produce the credits for our
  projects.
  "Klingons appreciate strong women."           Lance A. Sibley
                     - Lt. Worf, "Angel One"    University of Waterloo
                                                Waterloo, Ontario

In article <6998@watdragon.waterloo.edu> tnagreen@trillium.waterloo.edu (Lance Arthur 'Bones' Sibley) writes:
>In article <3073@leo.UUCP> harald@leo.UUCP ( Harald Milne) writes:
>> [ VideoEffects 3D hype ]
>
>  Is there anything like this available for an Atari 1040ST?  [ ... ]
>  It would be nice if I could get this
>  package for my machine and then produce the credits for our
>  projects.

	Well, the obvious cheap-shot/snide remark/solution is to buy an
Amiga so you can run VideoEffects 3D on it.  Amigas are relatively cheap
(~$600 for an A500, ~$1800 for an A2000 (your mileage may vary)), are NTSC-
compliant in all video modes, is capable of overscan (borderless) video, and
has numerous genlocks available for syncing to external video.

	However, I'm trying to cut down on snide remarks, so I'd suggest
that you check out Antic's CyberPaint 2.0 package.  It's got zillions of
neat and interesting features, including ADO-style effects.  CyberPaint can
also play these "animations" back for you in real time.  It should address
your short-term needs.

	[ Actually, I'd recommend that you go out and buy an Amiga anyway,
and develop your titles on the ST with CyberPaint.  Antic may have a
pleasant surprise for you... ]

Leo L. Schwab -- The Guy in The Cape  ihnp4!pacbell -\
 \_ -_		Recumbent Bikes:	      dual ---> !{well,unicom}!ewhac