[rec.video] closed caption decoding circuits?

toad@nl.cs.cmu.edu (Todd Kaufmann) (12/17/88)

I'm looking for a/some simple circuits for decoding closed caption info from
the `dark area' of the video image which is generally available from video
signals.  Pointer to articles in generally available magazines/books would
be probably be best.  Detailed descriptions of the video signal helpful too
(do SMPTE reference books exist & have this?).

Where's the best place for an enterprising video experimenter to start from?
The best thing would be the video equivalent of radio's ``ARRL handbook''.

How about companies that sell simple kits to get one started in such things?

Cheap, education video effect boxes would be fun too---something like
inverting color signals (i'm easily amused).  Time to take apart the set...

Please send mail; I'll summarize if there's enough interest.

-todd--
internet: toad@cs.cmu.edu
us snail: Pobox 81795-UN, Pittsburgh PA 15217  (mail-art exchange)
``In Xanadu, to be an individual one must be a clone.''   -future proverb
--

sef@druco.ATT.COM (Scott E. Farleigh) (12/19/88)

Please post the source of said circuitry.

Thank-you
Scott Farleigh
AT&T IS Denver

markz@ssc.UUCP (Mark Zenier) (12/20/88)

In article <3887@pt.cs.cmu.edu>, toad@nl.cs.cmu.edu (Todd Kaufmann) writes:
> I'm looking for a/some simple circuits for decoding closed caption info from
> the `dark area' of the video image which is generally available from video
> signals.
> How about companies that sell simple kits to get one started in such things?

Dick Smith Electronics had both closed caption and Videotext decoders.
See Radio-Electronics  November 1986 for the closed caption decoder,
April 1986 for the videotext decoder.

Does anyone know if any of these kits are available in the US?

> Cheap, education video effect boxes would be fun too---something like
> inverting color signals (i'm easily amused).

See Radio-Electronics September 1987.

Mark Zenier    uunet!nwnexus!pilchuck!ssc!markz    markz@ssc.uucp
                      uw-beaver!tikal!

dmt@ptsfa.PacBell.COM (Dave Turner) (12/21/88)

In article <1595@ssc.UUCP> markz@ssc.UUCP (Mark Zenier) writes:

>Dick Smith Electronics had both closed caption and Videotext decoders.
>Does anyone know if any of these kits are available in the US?

Dick Smith is back in business in the US. Some outfit in Indiana
bought the US distribution rights.  There is an ad in the latest
issue of 73 magazine; send $2.00 for a catalog....

--
Dave Turner	415/542-1299	{att,bellcore,sun,ames,pyramid}!pacbell!dmt

dmt@ptsfa.PacBell.COM (Dave Turner) (12/22/88)

In article <4624@ptsfa.PacBell.COM> dmt@ptsfa.PacBell.COM (Dave Turner) writes:

The Dick Smith ad is in the Dec 1988 issue of Ham Radio.
The address is:

	Dick Smith Electronics
	Sherry Blum, Catalog Subscriptions
	P.O. Box 468
	Greenwood, IN 46142

	Phone (317) 888-7265
	FAX   (317) 888-7368

The catalog costs $2.00.

--
Dave Turner	415/542-1299	{att,bellcore,sun,ames,pyramid}!pacbell!dmt