[rec.video] Define "interactive fiction"

jellinghaus-robert@CS.YALE.EDU (Rob Jellinghaus) (04/25/89)

In article <511@orawest.UUCP> brian@ore.UUCP (Brian kahn) writes:
>Can anyone comment on the immediate future of interactive video on
>CD-ROMs?  I know that potential exists (has been demo'd) and that
>plans surface occasionally for home CD-ROM players w/ interactive
>video, what about practical application?  Will production of disks
>and players remain prohibitive for another five years?

The latest and greatest hope of interactivity and CD-ROM technology
was (and is, as far as I know) Compact Disc-Interactive, a standard
proposed by Phillips and Sony to merge computer, video, and CD-ROM/
CD Audio technology into a single home unit.  The power of every CD-I
unit will be quite adequate for a wide range of applications, and
the amount of video, sound, and program information that would fit
onto one CD would be very great indeed.

My question:  what's the scoop with CD-I?  When will the first players
be out?  What kind of discs (games!!) are being developed?  Will I
be able to get one by this Christmas?  (I'm saving up already...)

>Brian Kahn   {rutgers!sri-unix | hplabs!sri-unix | unix.sri.com}!orawest!brian

Crossposted widely because I wanted to reach the people who'll know.
(Sorry it's not strictly applicable to rec.arts.int-fiction as defined
by Adam Engst, but oh well...)

Rob Jellinghaus                | "Next time you see a lie being spread or a
jellinghaus-robert@CS.Yale.EDU |  bad decision being made out of sheer ignor-
ROBERTJ@{yalecs,yalevm}.BITNET |  ance, pause, and think of hypertext."
{everyone}!decvax!yale!robertj |     -- K. Eric Drexler, _Engines of Creation_