[rec.video] RGB ---> SuperVHS

I realize that this has probably been asked before, and if so I apologize, but
I still need some help, ok? :-)

I need to be able to convert analog RGB (from an Amiga computer) to be
displayed through the superVHS connector on a TV. Is there any cable/box/gizmo
available to do this? Has anyone built such an animal and can send me the
plans?

Please send email and I will summarize, rather than take up valuable space
here.

               Thanks,

--
John Sparks   |  {rutgers|uunet}!ukma!corpane!sparks | D.I.S.K. 24hrs 1200bps
[not for RHF] |          sparks@corpane.UUCP         | 502/968-5401 thru -5406

Ok, for all those who asked for it :-) Here is the summary of the responses
that I received on how to convert RGB to SuperVHS. I was hoping to get
plans on how to make a cheap converter, or something, but alas, no such
luck. Most people told me that I need an expensive converter ( $500 >)
Well then, without further ado:

-----

Date: Thu, 27 Apr 89 07:26:45 MDT
From: Don Middleton <don@bierstadt.UCAR.edu>
Subject: Re: RGB ---> SuperVHS
Newsgroups: rec.video,comp.graphics

I have a little box that transcodes between the various NTSC
composite, component, and SVHS signal formats. I believe
it is made by TrueVision and, while I haven't tried it
yet, I've had a couple of people tell me it does a fairly
good job for the $600 or so that is costs.

*  Don Middleton                                                 *
*  National Center for Atmospheric Research                      *
*  Scientific Visualizaton Group                                 *
*  PO Box 3000                                                   *
*  Boulder, Co. 80307-3000                                       *
*  don@ncar.ucar.edu                                             *

From: Hubey <hubey@pilot.njin.net>
To: sparks@corpane.uucp

There is a commercial "thinggy box" you can buy for about $50.00.

Since the A2000 and the A500 don't have composite color output, there
are electronic boxes out there (at least two that I can remember)
which will take the RGB output of the Amiga and output a composite
signal.  At least one of these boxes also outputs the Super VHS type S
and V(?) signals.

regards
mark

[ editors :-) note: Now this sounds promising. Any one know what box this is?]
[ not the composite only box, but the one with SVHS out?  JSparks]

     H.M. Hubey                     VOICE: 201-893-5269
 hubey@OSultrix.montclair.edu       hubey@pilot.njin.net
 hubey@apollo.montclair.edu

Date: Mon May 01 19:17:22 1989
From: "David M. Roe" <amidmr!dmr@uunet.uucp>
To: sparks@corpane.uucp
Subject: Amiga RGB to SVHS adaption!

     Hi John!
     I have before me a 1-page glossy brochure describing VIDtech's
     ScanLock Model VSL-1.  It claims broadcast-quality genlock of the
     Amiga to a reference (NTSC, PAL, or S-VHS video) and keys
     (superimposes) the Amiga video over the reference video.

     The Scanlock transfoms the Amiga RGB video into NTSC, PAL or
     S-VHS  (Y/C) format output.  It is equipped with independent FADE
     controls for reference and computer video.  It can be powered by
     the Amiga or externally.

     Front Panel Stuff:
          Power Selector/Bypass Switch  (amiga/off/external) w/led
          Reference video input selector (NTSC/S-VHS) w/led
          Reference video output selector  w/led
          Amiga Video Output Selector   w/led
          Keyed video output selector   w/led
          Fade function selector        w/led
          Reference Fade Controller    (slide control)
          Amiga Video Fade Controller  (slide control)
          Normal/Reverse Key Video Selector  w/led
          Normal Video Reference Indicator   w/led

          They look like membrane keyboard switches on a light grey panel.

     Back Panel Stuff:
          (power cord and fuse)
          RGB Out DB-23 connector
          RGB Load switch  (HI/75ohm)
          Key Out   (BNC connector)
          Remote    (14 pin DIN connector)
          Reference Inputs:
                    NTSC In  (BNC)
                    Load Switch (HI-75ohm)
                    NTSC LOOP (BNC)
                    S-VIDEO IN (S-VHS jack)
                    S-VIDEO Load Switch (HI-75ohm)
                    S-VIDEO LOOP (S-VHS jack)
          Video Outputs:
                    NTSC   (2 ea. BNC connectors)
                    S-VIDEO (2 ea. S-VHS jacks)

          Comes With:
          S-VHS cable, S-VHS to two RCA jacks cable, rack mount kit,
          user manual, 3-1/2 disk demo

          Compatible with 500, 1000, 2000, 2500 computers

     at:  Vidtech International Inc.
          2822 NW 79th Ave
          Miami, Fl  33122
          305-477-2228

     Jack, so far this is the only one I've heard of, but there should
     be more introduced soon if my guess is right.  I picked up the
     brochure at Amazing Computers in Dallas, but they did not have any
     in stock yet. (delivery date unknown)  (price unknown, assuming
     > $600.)  Looks like it does everything for the high-end pro video
     and low-end broadcast market, proper connectors, etc. but have not
     seen the quality yet.  Let me know if you find one somewhere, and
     what you think of it!

     Standard Disclaimer: I never heard of those guys before.  Just
                          looking for that functionality myself.

     [Imagine...being able to play F-18, OutRun, and Mean 18 on my new
       35" Mitsubishi TV via S-VHS  Y/C  inputs!   Yeah!
          oh, well...maybe Christmas 1992.

     See Ya!
     David
--                                           /
   David Roe                                / /
   Advanced Technology Laboratory          / / /
   Southwestern Bell Telephone Company    / / / /
   1010 Pine Street, Room 502            / / / / /
   St. Louis, Mo. 63102                 / / / / / [*]
   314-235-7200 (work)                 / / / / / [***]
   314-458-2412 (home)                / / / / / [*****]

Date: Thu, 27 Apr 89 15:30:29 edt
From: David Fisk <dfisk@hawk.ulowell.edu>
To: sparks@corpane.uucp
Newsgroups: rec.video,comp.graphics

CMI (Creative Microsystems) makes a box called the VI Video Interface. It
converts the Analog RGB signal to composite, separate chroma-luma, and
depending on the model, RF. I beleive that you can wire a cable to go from
the separate vidio to the SuperVHS connector. The picture quality out of the
box is very good from what I've seen. I believe that it comes in models with
or without the RF, with the more expensive RF version retailing for $99 (the
other is less). It comes in an external model and internal for the 2000
series.

Dave...
| dfisk@hawk.ulowell.edu (David Fisk) |                                   |
| University of Lowell                   |  still looking for a good quote...|
| Computer Science Dept. Student      |                                   |

=============== end of responses =======

Thank you all for responding. It has been most helpful.
If anyone else knows more, send me email and I will re-sumarize :-)

John Sparks
ukma!corpane!sparks

--
John Sparks   |  {rutgers|uunet}!ukma!corpane!sparks | D.I.S.K. 24hrs 1200bps
[not for RHF] |          sparks@corpane.UUCP         | 502/968-5401 thru -5406
As far as we know, our computer has never had an undetected error.