[rec.video] Mac II monitor--indispensable?

jellinghaus-robert@CS.Yale.EDU (Rob Jellinghaus) (05/03/89)

Well, I have a Mac II with Apple's color monitor, and it sure is beyootiful.
But it can't be a TV set.  And I don't want to buy a TV because having both
a Mac II monitor *and* a TV set in my small dorm room would be kind of silly.

I posted a while ago asking what I can do and the responses fell into three
categories:

1) Buy a box to convert NTSC into 66.7-Hz refresh analog RGB.  The only
problem: the boxes cost >$1,000.  Out of my range.

2) Buy a card for the II that will convert NTSC into Mac-displayable video.
(Like one of the image-capture cards.)  Problems: very expensive, and the
frame rate is only about 17 frames/sec.  Besides, I don't need my Mac II to
be able to capture video, so why pay more for the capability?  All I want
is to have one monitor that can both work with the II and behave as a TV
set.

3) Sell my Mac II monitor and buy a Sony KV1311-CR monitor, which has both
NTSC in and analog RGB in.  I'll have to build a custom cable, but a kind
soul sent me all the pinout info.  This looks like what I will do.  BUT:

Has anyone out there got a system like this?  How much worse does the display
get if you bag the Apple monitor and hook up a multisync monitor?  Would I
be able to live with it?  Anyone who has done this, please let me know what
your experience has been, before I go and sell my current monitor... thanks!
(And are there any other approaches I don't know about?  Tell me!)

Rob Jellinghaus                | "Next time you see a lie being spread or a
jellinghaus-robert@CS.Yale.EDU |  bad decision being made out of sheer ignor-
ROBERTJ@{yalecs,yalevm}.BITNET |  ance, pause, and think of hypertext."
{everyone}!decvax!yale!robertj |     -- K. Eric Drexler, _Engines of Creation_

folta@tove.umd.edu (Wayne Folta) (05/03/89)

Will somebody please correct me if I am wrong!  But, I have a Sony
KV-1311CR, and I DO NOT think it will work with a Mac II.  I originally
got it to use with an Amiga (since sold to get a Mac).  I have lost the
owner's manual, so I called Sony to find out if it would work.  The on-line
database that the guy consulted DID NOT list the Mac II--it only listed
the Apple II.  It even said something about 200 lines resolution, which
is far shy of the 480 needed (isn't it?).

If it will work, you will need to find a source for the cable to the Sony,
as it has a different, connector on it: two parallel rows of 17 pins.

If anyone out there can tell me that the KV-1311CR does, in fact, work with
Apple's color board, and where I can get a cable to make the connection, I
just might go out and buy a IIcx (or at least upgrade my SE to an SE030).

Wayne Folta          (folta@tove.umd.edu  128.8.128.42)

mp1u+@andrew.cmu.edu (Michael Portuesi) (05/04/89)

folta@tove.umd.edu (Wayne Folta) writes:
> Will somebody please correct me if I am wrong!  But, I have a Sony
> KV-1311CR, and I DO NOT think it will work with a Mac II.  I originally
> got it to use with an Amiga (since sold to get a Mac).  I have lost the
> owner's manual, so I called Sony to find out if it would work.  The on-line
> database that the guy consulted DID NOT list the Mac II--it only listed
> the Apple II.  It even said something about 200 lines resolution, which
> is far shy of the 480 needed (isn't it?).

The Amiga in its highest resolution mode can display 400+ vertical
lines of video.  Since the KV-1311CR works with the Amiga, there
should be no problem (resolution-wise) getting it to work with a Mac
II.  The only problem is one of signal compatibility.

My Commodore 1080 monitor makes a dandy TV monitor.  I have it
attached to my VCR, and I have gotten more than one comment from
visitors about how clear and sharp the picture is.  Why aren't
commercial TV monitors designed to the same specs?  The 1080 is even a
pretty mediocre monitor, by computer standards.

--
Michael Portuesi * Information Technology Center * Carnegie Mellon University
INET: mp1u+@andrew.cmu.edu * BITNET: mp1u+@andrew

bob@jacobs.CS.ORST.EDU (robert s. richardson) (05/05/89)

In article <YYLy=My00VsfA2ivZJ@andrew.cmu.edu> mp1u+@andrew.cmu.edu (Michael Portuesi) writes:
>folta@tove.umd.edu (Wayne Folta) writes:
>> Will somebody please correct me if I am wrong!  But, I have a Sony
>> KV-1311CR, and I DO NOT think it will work with a Mac II.  I originally
>> got it to use with an Amiga (since sold to get a Mac).  I have lost the
>> owner's manual, so I called Sony to find out if it would work.  The on-line
>> database that the guy consulted DID NOT list the Mac II--it only listed
>> the Apple II.  It even said something about 200 lines resolution, which
>> is far shy of the 480 needed (isn't it?).
>
>The Amiga in its highest resolution mode can display 400+ vertical
>lines of video.  Since the KV-1311CR works with the Amiga, there
>should be no problem (resolution-wise) getting it to work with a Mac
>II.  The only problem is one of signal compatibility.

>Michael Portuesi * Information Technology Center * Carnegie Mellon University
>INET: mp1u+@andrew.cmu.edu * BITNET: mp1u+@andrew
>UUCP: ...harvard!andrew.cmu.edu!mp1u+
>MAIL: Carnegie Mellon University, P.O. Box 259, Pittsburgh, PA  15213

Woa!  The Amiga (My all time favorite machine, a must for video work),
displays its 480 hires lines in INTERLACED VIDEO--compatible with NTSC.
The original poster wanted to know about a device that would take such
video and remap it to the much higher bandwidth of the mac II's non-
interlaced 400 lines.  The sony monitor is not of the multiscan
variety and cannot lock (and will probably fry) with the high mac
resolution.  Sorry.

| Bob Richardson     (or, for you UNIX buffs: bob@jacobs.cs.orst.edu) |
| 220 NW 21st, Corvallis, OR 97330    503-758-5018    "We Never Open" |
| PLEASE NOTE NEW NETWORK NAME ABOVE (was richarr@nikola). MAIL TO    |
| OLD ACCOUNT MAY NOT REACH ME. THANK YOU.                            |

mp1u+@andrew.cmu.edu (Michael Portuesi) (05/05/89)

> Excerpts from ext.nn.rec.video: 4-May-89 Re: Mac II monitor--indispe..
> robert s. richardson@jac (2072)

> Woa!  The Amiga (My all time favorite machine, a must for video work),
> displays its 480 hires lines in INTERLACED VIDEO--compatible with NTSC.
> The original poster wanted to know about a device that would take such
> video and remap it to the much higher bandwidth of the mac II's non-
> interlaced 400 lines.  The sony monitor is not of the multiscan
> variety and cannot lock (and will probably fry) with the high mac
> resolution.  Sorry.

Oh, heck, I forgot about that.  Sorry for the misinformation.

There was a message thread on comp.sys.amiga a while back about
multiscan monitors that can take NTSC input.  I believe one of the
Mitsubishi DiamondScan monitors can handle both.

--
INTERNET: mp1u+@andrew.cmu.edu * BITNET: mp1u+@andrew

dan@Apple.COM (Dan Allen) (05/05/89)

In article <59206@yale-celray.yale.UUCP> jellinghaus-robert@CS.Yale.EDU (Rob Jellinghaus) writes:
>Has anyone out there got a system like this?  How much worse does the display
>get if you bag the Apple monitor and hook up a multisync monitor?  Would I
>be able to live with it?  Anyone who has done this, please let me know what
>your experience has been, before I go and sell my current monitor... thanks!

Just yesterday I saw a NEC MultiSync monitor hooked up to a Mac II.  It
looks like a TV, NOT like the beautiful Apple RGB Monitor.  By looking
like a TV, I mean it flickers, looks crummy, etc.  Colors looked washed
out.  I personally have a Sony 27" XBR TV at home that looks much better
than the MultiSync, but I only use it for TV, not for the Mac.  I have a
Apple RGB Monitor for my Mac II, and it is highly recommended.

You do have a problem.  It really would be nice to have high quality
both in one box.  And you can, but it costs $$$$.  My solution is, of
course, get a card that allows NTSC on the Sony/Apple RGB Monitor.

If this is not an option due to finances (and I can definitely
understand that), if I were back in college, I would keep the Apple RGB
Monitor and write great programs to use it, and the heck with TV.  It is
largely a bunch of low-budget movies anyway.  I went through all of my
college years without a TV and did fine, in fact, probably much better
than if I had watched TV.  College should be spend reading and studying
and in the library.  After all, your spending someone's hard earned
money to do that, so you might as well get the most bang for the buck.

Sorry for the "Fatherly" sounding advice, but bag the TV, and program
away!

Dan Allen
HyperCard Team
Apple Computer

In article <17242@mimsy.UUCP> folta@tove.umd.edu.UUCP (Wayne Folta) writes:
>Will somebody please correct me if I am wrong!  But, I have a Sony
>KV-1311CR, and I DO NOT think it will work with a Mac II.  I originally

Correct.  Sony TVs and monitors generally do not work with the Mac II.
Sony specifically made the Apple RGB Color Monitor for Apple as a high
quality color output device.  It has excellent resolution, color,
contrast, and does not flicker.  These characteristics are superior to
even the Sony "Monitors".

Dan Allen
Apple Computer