[net.unix-wizards] acronyms

mark.umcp-cs@UDel-Relay (12/25/82)

From:     Mark Weiser <mark.umcp-cs@UDel-Relay>
Date:     21 Dec 82 13:31:09 EST  (Tue)
I am the acronym offender with ECU's.  An ECU is an Error Correcting Unit
manufactured by ACC (don't know what that stands for) which is used when
connecting to the arpanet so both the IMP (box that connects you to the
net) and your machine think they are right next to each other, when
in fact they can be arbitrarily far away (like across the country).

hampton@ACC (12/25/82)

Date: 23 Dec 1982 at 2151-PST
"ACC" stands for

	Associated Computer Consultants
	720 Santa Barbara Street
	Santa Barbara, CA  93101
	(805) 963-9431

We make the ECUs and other ARPAnet gear.

			Hampton G. Miller
			"Member of the Technical Staff"
----

solomon (12/26/82)

It seems to me that I heard somewhere (don't remember where) that ACC
originally stood for "A Consulting Company", but that when the company
got big and serious, someone felt that the name was too flippant.
A similar story applies to NBI, a manufacturer of word processors,
which simply uses its initials in advertisements, omitting mention of
the fact that NBI originally stood for "Nothing But Initials".
I can think of many other cases, but this discussion should probably
be moved to net.nlang.  Please don't reply to this article on
net.unix-wizards.

	Marvin Solomon
	Computer Sciences Department
	University of Wisconsin, Madison WI
	solomon@uwisc
	...!seismo!uwvax!solomon

mike@lbl-unix (12/30/82)

From:     Mike.Caplinger <rice!mike@lbl-unix>
Date:     Mon, 27 Dec 82 23:41:54 CST
I'd like to thank everybody who responded to my plea for acronym
explanation, especially Chris Torek.  I wonder if all Unix-Wizards
submissions could be in poem form?

Keep up the good work!