[rec.video] Frame rate

nagle@well.UUCP (John Nagle) (08/14/89)

In article <12027@ulysses.homer.nj.att.com> ggs@ulysses.homer.nj.att.com
(Griff Smith) complains about TV frame rates.  This is a significant point.
The Showscan film work indicates that humans notice an improvement in
motion representation as frame rates are increased above 24FPS, and that
humans cease to notice an improvement somewhere between 60FPS and 80FPS.
In Showscan, frame rates in the 60-80 range are combined with 70mm film
and a wide screen to provide what might be called "improved definition film."
The various HDTV systems use frame rates well below this threshold, and it
may turn out that a second round of HDTV improvement will be necessary
at some later date.

Even "large screen" television, though, tends to occupy only a small percentage
of the visual field.  Showscan does attempt to provide a screen large enough
to fill the visual field, given a stationary head position.  Motion strobing
effects are most noticeable near the edge of the visual field, where the
motion-detection functions of peripheral vision dominate.  So the proposed
HDTV standards will probably be good enough for the small screen.

What they won't be good enough for, though, are video goggles.  Video goggles,
as used by the virtual reality types, attempt to fill the entire visual
field.  When the wearer turns their head, the image must pan accordingly.
That panning operation should not generate visible artifacts.  We can thus
expect that virtual reality systems will require frame rates in the Showscan
range before the wearer is comfortable moving at high speed in the virtual
environment.

					John Nagle

hades@pbinfo.UUCP (Detlef Siewert) (08/16/89)

In article <13130@well.UUCP> nagle@well.UUCP (John Nagle) writes:
> [...] Motion strobing
>effects are most noticeable near the edge of the visual field, where the
>motion-detection functions of peripheral vision dominate.  So the proposed
>HDTV standards will probably be good enough for the small screen.

:-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-)

I personally think that the visual attention of humans is attracted
by fast motions at the edges of the visual field. So when you notice
a motion beside you, you tend to look at it (an old reflex to protect
yourself from dangerous animals). That's the point why television
attracts your view also. So without flicker, nobody would look at
that old stuff in the telly anymore! That's why the frame rate of
HDTV is not raised.

	  /\
	 /  \
	/\   \
       /  \   \		Hans-Detlef Siewert
      /\ HaDeS \

Please don't start serious discussions about this!
It wasn't meant seriously!