[rec.video] HDTV and ATV Glossary

poynton@vector.Sun.COM (Charles A. Poynton) (08/11/89)

Here's a contribution that may unravel some of the confusion surrounding
HDTV, ATV. IDTV, EDTV, and so on.  The most important point is that HDTV
relates to production and exchange of programs, and has immediate
relevance to computer graphics.  Advanced television (ATV) concerns the
delivery of entertainment programming to consumers, and has very little to
do with computing.

To me it is ludicrous to suggest that is strategically important for the
U.S. to resurrect domestic colour television receiver manufacturing.  Even
more ridiculous is the suggestion (by George Gilder in Fortune) that the
U.S. can, in a year or two, leapfrog current [Japanese] HDTV technology.

Let's get on with exploiting HDTV technology in computing, where we've
ALREADY got a vital and profitable industry!  (Or should I say, WHILE
we've still got it?)

The preceeding was my opinion.  What follows is fact.

C.

p.s.  1250/24, 2048-by-1152, 74.25 MHz.  Dare to be square!

-----
Charles A. Poynton			Sun Microsystems Inc.
<poynton@sun.com>			2550 Garcia Avenue, MS 8-04
415-336-7846				Mountain View, CA 94043

"Japan has no laws against damage to its flag, but it has strict laws
forbidding the burning of foreign flags lest this give offense to the
country in question." -- The Economist, July 1, 1989, p. 19.
-----

High Definition Television (HDTV) and Advanced Television (ATV) Glossary

Charles A. Poynton, Sun Microsystems, Inc.         TN32  89/08/07  18:26

525-LINE, 625-LINE  TELEVISION TERMS

525/59.94/2:1.  A raster scanning standard used primarily in North
America and Japan, having 525 total lines (of which approximately 483
contain picture information), a field rate of 59.94 Hz, and interlace.
Without the "/2:1" notation, interlace is implicit.  Colour in 525/59.94
systems is commonly encoded using the NTSC method.  Often colloquially
referred to as 525/60, and often incorrectly denoted NTSC.

625/50/2:1.  A raster scanning standard used primarily in Europe and
Asia, having 625 total lines (of which 575 contain picture information),
a field rate of 50 Hz, and interlace.  Without the "/2:1" notation,
interlace is implicit.  Colour in 625/50 systems is usually encoded
using the PAL method (although France, the USSR, and certain other
countries use SECAM).  Often incorrectly denoted PAL or SECAM.

NTSC,  National Television Systems Committee.  (1) The group which in
1953 established 525-line, 2:1 interlaced, 59.94 Hz field rate,
composite colour television signals in the U.S.  More properly referred
to as NTSC-II.  [The original NTSC, now properly referred to as NTSC-I,
established 525-line, 2:1 interlaced, 60.00 Hz field rate monochrome
television in the U.S. in 1943.]  (2) A method of composite colour
encoding based on quadrature modulation of U and V colour difference
signals onto a colour subcarrier.  Used only in 525/59.94 systems, with
a subcarrier frequency of about 3.579455 MHz.

PAL, Phase Alternate Line.  A method of composite colour encoding
similar to NTSC, except that the phase of the V-axis colour difference
signal inverts at the horizontal line rate.  Commonly used in 625/50
systems with a subcarrier frequency of about 4.433618 MHz, but also used
with a subcarrier of about 3.579455 MHz in the PAL-N system (e.g.
Argentina), and with 525/59.94 scanning and a subcarrier frequency of
about 3.575611 MHz in the PAL-M system (e.g. Brazil).

SECAM, Sequential Couleur avec Memoire.  A method of composite colour
encoding using line-alternate U and V colour difference signals,
frequency modulated onto a subcarrier.  Used only in 625/50 systems
(e.g. France, USSR).

Component.  A video system which conveys colour using three separate
signals.  Examples are RGB, YUV, MAC.

Composite.  A video system which uses the spectral interleaving (or
frequency interleaving) technique to encode (combine) luminance and
colour information into a single signal.  Examples are NTSC, PAL, SECAM.

S-video, S-connector, YC3.58, YC4.43.  An interface which conveys
luminance, and quadrature modulated chrominance, as two separate signals
on a specific 4-pin mini-DIN connector.  There are only two types of
S-video:  YC3.58 which has a 525/59.94 raster and chrominance modulated
as in NTSC, and YC4.43 which has a 625/50 raster and chrominance
modulated as in PAL.  S-video is a form of component video, in that the
three components are completely separable.

MAC, Multiplexed Analog Component.  A video system which transmits three
colour components, usually YUV, in time-compressed serial analog form.

Interlace.  A video signal in which alternate raster lines of a frame
are separated into two fields displaced in time by half the frame time.
Also called 2:1 Interlace.  Examples are 525/59.94/2:1, 625/50/2:1,
1125/60.00/2:1.

Progressive.  A video signal in which all scan lines of a complete frame
are closely related in time.  Also called 1:1 Interlace, Sequential,
Non-interlaced, Pro-scan.  Examples are 525/59.94/1:1, 1250/24/1:1.

IMPROVED, EXTENDED, ADVANCED, HIGH DEFINITION TELEVISION TERMS

IDTV, Improved Definition Television.  A television system which offers
picture quality substantially improved over conventional receivers, for
signals originated in standard 525-line or 625-line format, by
processing which involves the use of field store and/or frame store
(memory) techniques at the receiver.  One example is the use of field or
frame memory to implement de-interlacing at the receiver, to reduce
inter-line twitter compared to that of an interlaced display.  IDTV
techniques are implemented entirely at the receiver, and involve no
change to picture origination equipment and no change to emission
standards.

EDTV, Extended Definition Television.  A television system which offers
picture quality substantially improved over conventional 525-line or
625-line receivers, by employing techniques at the transmitter and at
the receiver which are transparent to (and cause no visible quality
degradation to) existing 525-line or 625-line receivers.  Examples are
improved luminance/colour separation made possible by pre-combing the
transmitted signals such as has been suggested by Faroudja, Central
Dynamics, and Dr William Glenn, in order to reduce or eliminate NTSC
artifacts such as dot crawl and hanging dots.  Another example is the
use of progressive scanning at the camera, interlaced transmission, and
reconstruction of a progressive display at the receiver to reduce or
eliminate interlace artifacts, as in the Faroudja SuperNTSC system.
EDTV systems require changes in picture origination equipment, but are
completely compliant with current emission regulations.

Picture Aspect Ratio.  The ratio of picture width to picture height.
Usually abbreviated to Aspect Ratio.  Current 525-line and 625-line
systems both have a picture aspect ratio of 4:3.

Letter-box.   A television system which limits the recording or
transmission of useful picture information to about three-quarters of
the available vertical picture height of the distribution format (e.g.
525-line), in order to offer program material which has a wide aspect
ratio.

Wide-screen.  A television system which offers a picture aspect ratio
substantially wider than 4:3, using the full vertical picture area
afforded by the distribution signal format (e.g. 525-line).  Emission
regulation changes are required for wide-screen TV transmission. Wide-
screen may or may not be combined with EDTV; wide-screen is inherent in
ATV and HDTV.

ATV, Advanced Television.  A system which distributes wide-screen
television signals with resolution substantially improved over 525-line
and 625-line systems.  Terrestrial ATV broadcasting (VHF/UHF) would
require substantial changes to current emission regulations.  There is
general acknowledgement that any ATV distribution system should offer at
least stereo (two channel) audio, of CD quality.

HDTV, High Definition Television.  A system which has approximately
twice the horizontal and vertical resolution of current 525-line and
625-line television, a frame rate of at least 24 Hz, component colour
coding (e.g. RGB or YUV), and a picture aspect ratio of 16:9.

PRODUCTION, EXCHANGE, DISTRIBUTION TERMS

HDTV Production. The original creation and editing of HDTV program
material.

HDTV Exchange. The interchange of HDTV program material among
production, distribution, and transmission organizations.  Editing at
the exchange stage is limited to insertion of segments such as
commercials, and lengthening or shortening the duration of program
material up to 5%.

ATV Distribution. The distribution of ATV program material to the
ultimate viewing audience.  Distribution may be by physical media such
as videotape or videodisc, or by transmission (see below).

ATV Transmission. The distribution of ATV program material to the
ultimate viewing audience through RF media such as terrestrial VHF/UHF
broadcasting, cable television (CATV), or direct broadcast satellite
(DBS).

ATV TRANSMISSION TERMS

Channel-compatible ATV.  A system for transmitting ATV through VHF/UHF
or CATV media which has carrier-frequency assignments conformant to
current 525-line or 625-line television transmission.  According to FCC
Docket 87-268, terrestrial VHF/UHF ATV transmissions in the U.S. are
constrained to be channel-compatible with 6 MHz channels.  Channel-
compatibility does not necessarily require single-channel transmission.

Receiver-compatible ATV.  An ATV transmission system which provides ATV
program material, possibly with reduced aspect ratio, to current
525-line or 625-line receivers.  According to FCC Docket 87-268, ATV
transmissions in the U.S.  are constrained to be receiver-compatible.
Receiver-compatibility can be accomplished by single-channel ATV,
augmentation-channel ATV, or simulcasting.

Single-channel ATV.  An ATV transmission system which alters the
525-line or 625-line broadcasting standard by the addition of
augmentation signals within the channel bandwidth of the current
standard.  Such systems may degrade reception of current signals.
Sarnoff ACTV-I is an example of a single-channel ATV system.

Augmentation-channel ATV.  An ATV transmission system which transmits an
augmentation signal associated with a main channel 525/59.94 or 625/50
signal, in order that signals from both channels can be combined in an
ATV receiver to form an ATV signal.  Augmentation-channel systems
provide receiver-compatibility by default.  Augmentation channels of
3 MHz and 6 MHz have been proposed for the U.S.  Examples of
augmentation-channel ATV systems are N.A. Philips HDS-NA, and NYIT
VISTA.  Sarnoff ACTV-II is an example of a hybrid single-
channel/augmentation-channel system, because it transmits augmentation
information in both the main NTSC channel and a separate augmentation
channel.

Simulcast ATV. A system which transmits a complete ATV signal within an
RF channel of the same bandwidth as current 525-line or 625-line
broadcasts, and which achieves receiver-compatibility through simulcast
of the same program material, possibly with reduced aspect ratio, in a
separate standard channel.  Zenith SC-TV is an example of such a system,
which in this case is optimized to exploit a currently-unused VHF/UHF
taboo channel to convey an entire ATV signal.  Sometimes confused with
Incompatible ATV.

Incompatible ATV.  A system which transmits a complete ATV signal in a
format not intimately related to existing broadcast standards.  An
example of an incompatible system is NHK MUSE-9.  An incompatible ATV
system is channel-compatible if it transmits the ATV signal within a
6 MHz channel. An incompatible ATV system is receiver-compatible if it
employs simulcast of the same program material, possibly with reduced
aspect ratio, in a separate NTSC channel.

DIGITAL HDTV TERMS

CIF, Common Image Format.  The standardization of the structure of the
samples which represent picture information in digital HDTV, independent
of frame rate and sync/blanking structure.

CDR, Common Data Rate.  The standardization of a single data rate for
digital HDTV, applicable to two or more different frame rates.

CFR, Common Frame Rate.  The standardization of a single frame rate for
digital HDTV.

Sample aspect ratio.  The ratio of horizontal sample pitch to vertical
sample pitch.  A sample aspect ratio of unity achieves square pixels.

Orthogonal sampling.  Sampling a digital HDTV picture with an array of
samples placed on a regular two-dimensional array.

Offset sampling.  Sampling a digital HDTV picture with an array of
samples where alternate rows of samples are displaced by half of the
pitch of the samples along that axis.  Offset sampling may be applied to
any combination of the horizontal/vertical/temporal sampling axes of a
video signal.  Also called Quincunx sampling.  Offset sampling in the
vertical/temporal plane is more commonly called interlace.

-----

poynton@vector.Sun.COM (Charles A. Poynton) (08/12/89)

A correspondent writes:

>> p.s. 1250/24, 2048-by-1152, 74.25 MHz.  Dare to be square!

> Why frame rate of 24? Given there is movement in the film industry to
> move to 30, ...

A few people in Hollywood proposed 30 Hz film, and SMPTE had a study group
on it, but there was never any popular support behind the idea.  Among
other things,

- 24 Hz is quite sufficient for motion rendition,

- 30 Hz consumes more film stock (tied to the price of silver!),

- international program exchange would suffer (3 G$ U.S. trade surplus
  in exported movies),

- few commercial projectors are capable of 30 Hz without modification.

All in all, just no good reason to do it.

> ... why burden TV with a slower rate.

Ah, wait a minute here, we want to burden TVs with a slower rate because
we can't afford the bandwidth to raise it!  Keep in mind that in the olden
days one had to choose a frame rate which simultaneously satisfied motion
rendition AND flicker constraints.  The fact of living rooms being (on
average) brighter than movie theatres forced television in 1941 to adopt a
30 Hz frame rate.  With framestore technology, these issues can be
separated.

> Look to the future, not the past.

The future is now.  Sony and Hitachi are recording digital HDTV on
one-inch magtape at 1.188 Gb/s, a full order of magnitude higher than the
best available U.S. technology (the Ampex D-2 machine at 114 Mb/s).  Sony
are shipping 2k-by-2k Trinitrons when the best Zenith can do is
640-by-480.  That's a factor of eight.  Sure we could glibly standardize
double the horizontal and vertical resolution of HDTV but that would be a
pointless theoretical exercise unless we can build the stuff.  The best
way for us to get back into building the stuff is to exploit the
commercially-available Japanese technology -- now.

C.

-----
Charles A. Poynton			Sun Microsystems Inc.
<poynton@sun.com>			2550 Garcia Avenue, MS 8-04
415-336-7846				Mountain View, CA 94043

"There's no offense where none is taken."  -- Ancient Chinese proverb
-----

A correspondent writes:

>> 1250/24, 2048-by-1152, 74.25 MHz.  Dare to be square!

> I don't understand how 1250 becomes 2048-by-1152, and what the active
> elements stuff is about and how 1250/24 becomes 74.25 MHz.

Well, briefly, you get to pick five numbers and the rest fall out of the
wash.  The best numbers to work with are sample rate, total and picture
samples per line, and total and picture lines per frame.  The best numbers
to publish comprise that set, except publish frame rate instead of total
samples per line.  Total samples per line needs to be roughly 15% more
than picture samples to accommodate horizontal scanning, Total lines per
frame needs to be roughly 4% more than picture lines per frame to
accommodate vertical scanning.  Frame rate just falls out as sample rate,
divided by total samples per line, divided by total lines per frame.  So
in my proposal, total samples per line would be 2475, about 20% greater
than 2048, but you can derive the 2475 from the five numbers I gave.  You
really need to see the trademark Poynton raster diagram to make this all
clear.  How much can I do with ASCII text ...

74.25 MHz                  2475
       |                 V blank               |
       |       +-------------------------------+
       |       |           2048                |
       |       |                               |
       |       |                               |
  1250 |   H   | 1152     picture              |
       | blank |                               |
       |       |    (16:9 aspect ratio)        |
       |       |                               |
       |       |                               |
       +-------+-------------------------------+

Video monitors are usually specified by horizontal line rate (easily
derived as sampling frequency divided by total samples per line), and
frame rate.  Unfortunately many frame buffers (whoops, graphics cards)
specify some rounded versions of H and V rates, and it's a real
nuisance to work backwards to try to figure what the real parameters are.

My 1250/24, 2048-by-1152, 74.25 MHz HDTV proposal is, briefly,

- use 1250 total lines and 1152 picture lines, as in current Eu95
  proposals, to appeal to the Europeans;

- use the proposed Japanese [and semi-recommended SMPTE 240M] sampling
  frequency of 74.25 MHz;

- use 2048 samples per picture width and square pixels to appeal to the
  computer industry;

- use 24 Hz to be fully conformable to film, for the Hollywood
  production community and to utilize current film libraries
  which will be the source of 90% of the initial ATV programming, with
  ABSOLUTELY NO temporal artifacts;

- accomplish down-conversion to current broadcast standards in exactly the
  way it is done today from film, that is, 3-2 pulldown 0.1% slow for
  525/59.94 and 2-2 pulldown 4% fast for 625/50, with artifacts identical
  to those seen in today's film transfers; and

- display at 72 Hz to satisfy even the most flicker-sensitive,
  Euro-gonomic, high-ambient viewers, including computer workstation users.

Of course a 2048-by-1152 monitor at 72 Hz is quite a way off, so this
should mollify the U.S. broadcasters, who are concerned that an early
entry into ATV could cost them a lot of money.

Don't laugh about this being a political compromise.  This is serious
business!

C.

-----
Charles A. Poynton			Sun Microsystems Inc.
<poynton@sun.com>			2550 Garcia Avenue, MS 8-04
415-336-7846				Mountain View, CA 94043

"As at the ski resorts where girls go looking for husbands, and husbands
go looking for girls, the situation is not as symmetrical as it might
seem at first."                     --  attributed to Alan Kay
-----

bill@bilver.UUCP (Bill Vermillion) (08/12/89)

In article <121076@sun.Eng.Sun.COM> poynton@vector.Sun.COM (Charles A. Poynton) writes:
>A correspondent writes:
>
>> Why frame rate of 24? Given there is movement in the film industry to
>> move to 30, ...
>
>A few people in Hollywood proposed 30 Hz film, and SMPTE had a study group
>on it, but there was never any popular support behind the idea.  Among
>other things,

A friend of mine does film production for video.  The commercial industry is
using 30 fps film for video transfer.   Your other reasons (deleted for space
considerations) are definately valid for theatrical release.

There is (and has been demonstrated) a "Hi-Fi" film format (I forget the name)
that uses FILM at 60 FPS.  Results are said to be startling.  I would like to
see it, at least once.

--
Bill Vermillion - UUCP: {uiucuxc,hoptoad,petsd}!peora!tarpit!bilver!bill
                      : bill@bilver.UUCP

ggs@ulysses.homer.nj.att.com (Griff Smith) (08/14/89)

In article <121076@sun.Eng.Sun.COM>, poynton@vector.Sun.COM (Charles A. Poynton) writes:
> A few people in Hollywood proposed 30 Hz film, and SMPTE had a study group
> on it, but there was never any popular support behind the idea.  Among
> other things,
>
> - 24 Hz is quite sufficient for motion rendition,
> All in all, just no good reason to do it.

For years, I had wondered why motion looked `real' on television, and
artificial on film.  Then I began to see some film that had been done
at 30 Hz, and realized that the faster frame rate made the motion much
more realistic.  Furthermore, to me there is an additional dramatic
improvement in going from 30 Hz to 60 HZ.  50Hz television won't do, it
flickers too much.

> > ... why burden TV with a slower rate.
>
> Ah, wait a minute here, we want to burden TVs with a slower rate because
> we can't afford the bandwidth to raise it!

I assume this is part of the attempt to get rid of interlace so the
computer graphics folks can avoid motion artifacts.  I already have to
put up with motion artifacts while watching film on television, why do
I have to lose realistic motion on recorded television just so computer
graphics can look better?  What is so evil about interlace?

> -----
> Charles A. Poynton			Sun Microsystems Inc.
> <poynton@sun.com>			2550 Garcia Avenue, MS 8-04
> 415-336-7846				Mountain View, CA 94043
--
Griff Smith	AT&T (Bell Laboratories), Murray Hill
Phone:		1-201-582-7736

twhlai@watdragon.waterloo.edu (Tony Lai) (08/14/89)

In article <120919@sun.Eng.Sun.COM> poynton@vector.Sun.COM (Charles A. Poynton) writes:
>Incompatible ATV.  A system which transmits a complete ATV signal in a
>format not intimately related to existing broadcast standards.  An
>example of an incompatible system is NHK MUSE-9.

This is rather trivial, but I think you are thinking of MUSE-E, which is
the incompatible system that NHK will transmit.  I think MUSE-9 is an
augmentation-channel system.

brown@astroatc.UUCP (Vidiot) (08/14/89)

In article <12027@ulysses.homer.nj.att.com> ggs@ulysses.homer.nj.att.com (Griff Smith) writes:
<
<For years, I had wondered why motion looked `real' on television, and
<artificial on film.  Then I began to see some film that had been done
<at 30 Hz, and realized that the faster frame rate made the motion much
<more realistic.  Furthermore, to me there is an additional dramatic
<improvement in going from 30 Hz to 60 HZ.  50Hz television won't do, it
<flickers too much.

The problem with transferring 24 fps film to video is the 59.94 Hz field
rate.  The result is known as the 3-2 pulldown method, whereby one frame
of film is scanned for three field of video and then the next frame of film
is scanned for two fields of video.  The process is repeated.  This results
in some of the jerkiness that you see.

You tend to see alot of videos shot using 30 fps and I've seen some TV
shows shot at 30 fps.
--
	        harvard\     att!nicmad\
Vidiot            ucbvax!uwvax..........!astroatc!brown

phil@diablo.amd.com (Phil Ngai) (08/14/89)

In article <278@bilver.UUCP> bill@.UUCP (Bill Vermillion) writes:
|There is (and has been demonstrated) a "Hi-Fi" film format (I forget the name)
|that uses FILM at 60 FPS.  Results are said to be startling.  I would like to
|see it, at least once.

Much as I hate to disagree with Charles, I'd like to add that there
have been experiments with faster frame rates. I personally saw
something at the Vancouver World Expo (Showscan?) and was impressed.

Does anyone know if IMAX or OMNIMAX use higher frame rates, or just
more film?

I would not disagree that it is quite questionable whether we can
afford such high data rates, I'm just saying that I don't think they
would be wasted if we could.

--
Phil Ngai, phil@diablo.amd.com		{uunet,decwrl,ucbvax}!amdcad!phil
"Nonviolence works! India hasn't had to use their nuclear weapons yet."

root@conexch.UUCP (Larry Dighera) (08/15/89)

In article <278@bilver.UUCP> bill@.UUCP (Bill Vermillion) writes:

>There is (and has been demonstrated) a "Hi-Fi" film format (I forget the name)
>that uses FILM at 60 FPS.  Results are said to be startling.  I would like to
>see it, at least once.

Showscan Film Corporation, 3939 Landmark Street, Culver City, CA  90232-2315,
(213) 558-0150 owns the patent on 60 frame per second cinematography.  They
market 70mm theaters with computer controled, hydraulically actuated seating,
as well as Imax theaters.  The realism is awesome!  I recently had the
opportunity to experience a demonstration film of a sports car racing down
hill in the rural European mountains.  I nearly wet the seat.

Larry Dighera

--
USPS: The Consultants' Exchange, PO Box 12100, Santa Ana, CA  92712
TELE: (714) 842-6348: BBS (N81); (714) 842-5851: Xenix guest account (E71)

mostelle@nprdc.arpa (Jim Mosteller) (08/15/89)

In article <26754@amdcad.AMD.COM> phil@diablo.AMD.COM (Phil Ngai) writes:
  (text deleted)
>Does anyone know if IMAX or OMNIMAX use higher frame rates, or just
>more film?
  (text deleted)

Both IMAX and OMNIMAX pass film at a "normal" 24 FPS, but strobe each
frame twice, giving an effective 48 images per second -- smoother,
less flicker to watch.

As I remember it, Showscan not only passes film at 60 FPS, but also
double-strobes for an amazing 120 images per second.  At that rate,
the eye never has to try to compensate for any flicker at all --
_very_ smooth; very impressive.

Disclaimer:  It's been a few years since seeing a Showscan demo; my
memory may be off, or not reflect their current art.

--
Jim Mosteller         mostelle@nprdc.navy.mil

malloy@nprdc.arpa (Sean Malloy) (08/15/89)

In article <26754@amdcad.AMD.COM> phil@diablo.AMD.COM (Phil Ngai) writes:
>Does anyone know if IMAX or OMNIMAX use higher frame rates, or just
>more film?

As I understand it from the information that the Fleet Space Theater
here in San Diego hands out, the Imax cameras use one of the stock
film sizes (70mm or 135mm), but with the frames turned sideways on the
film (so that instead of the frames being aligned top-to-bottom, they
are side-to-side), and each frame is several times the size of a
normal 70mm frame. The camera uses the normal film rates (although
they did have it cranked up for the ShowScan presentation some months
ago); they wind up using more linear feet of film because of the
larger frame size.

 Sean Malloy					| "The proton absorbs a photon
 Navy Personnel Research & Development Center	| and emits two morons, a
 San Diego, CA 92152-6800			| lepton, a boson, and a
 malloy@nprdc.navy.mil				| boson's mate. Why did I ever

tuna@athena.mit.edu (Kirk 'UhOh' Johnson) (08/15/89)

In article <26754@amdcad.AMD.COM> phil@diablo.AMD.COM (Phil Ngai) writes:

>Does anyone know if IMAX or OMNIMAX use higher frame rates, or just
>more film?

in the one OMNIMAX film i've seen (at the museum of science, in
boston), the temporal aliasing was easily noticable, so i would tend
to doubt that it uses a higher frame rate. just a very wide projection
angle.

kirk

ksbooth@watcgl.waterloo.edu (Kelly Booth) (08/15/89)

In article <3272@arctic.nprdc.arpa> mostelle@nprdc.navy.mil (Jim Mosteller) writes:
>Both IMAX and OMNIMAX pass film at a "normal" 24 FPS, but strobe each
>frame twice, giving an effective 48 images per second -- smoother,
>less flicker to watch.

Normal film is shown like this.  Sound film is 24 fps with each frame shown
twice (for 48/s) and silent film is 16 fps with each frame shown thrice (for
48/s).

ingoldsb@ctycal.COM (Terry Ingoldsby) (08/16/89)

In article <12027@ulysses.homer.nj.att.com>, ggs@ulysses.homer.nj.att.com (Griff Smith) writes:
> I assume this is part of the attempt to get rid of interlace so the
> computer graphics folks can avoid motion artifacts.  I already have to
> put up with motion artifacts while watching film on television, why do
> I have to lose realistic motion on recorded television just so computer
> graphics can look better?  What is so evil about interlace?

Interlace can be a real pain if you want to draw thin horizontal lines, or
diagonal lines that cause only a single pixel to be illuminated on a scan
line.  In these cases the refresh rate is only the frame rate (eg. 30 Hz),
not the field rate, and flicker becomes quite annoying.  You can
occasionally see this on poorly designed text overlaid during TV sports
programs.  The flicker can be very visible.
--
  Terry Ingoldsby                       ctycal!ingoldsb@calgary.UUCP
  Land Information Systems                           or

3ksnn64@pur-ee.UUCP (Joe Cychosz) (08/17/89)

In article <3273@skinner.nprdc.arpa> malloy@nprdc.arpa (Sean Malloy) writes:

>As I understand it from the information that the Fleet Space Theater
>here in San Diego hands out, the Imax cameras use one of the stock
>film sizes (70mm or 135mm), but with the frames turned sideways on the
>film (so that instead of the frames being aligned top-to-bottom, they
>are side-to-side), and each frame is several times the size of a
>normal 70mm frame.

Omnimax and Imax use 70mm film.  And yes the image is allong the sprocket
holes instead of across.  The size for the frame is approximately 70mm
by 50mm.  I have seen a longer format in which a frame was about 2.5
times longer than the standard Omnimax frame.  I believe that this was used
in the GE pavilion at Epcot Center.

ggs@ulysses.homer.nj.att.com (Griff Smith) (08/17/89)

In article <428@ctycal.UUCP>, ingoldsb@ctycal.COM (Terry Ingoldsby) writes:
> In article <12027@ulysses.homer.nj.att.com>, ggs@ulysses.homer.nj.att.com (Griff Smith) writes:
> > I assume this is part of the attempt to get rid of interlace so the
> > computer graphics folks can avoid motion artifacts.
> > ...  What is so evil about interlace?
> >
> Interlace can be a real pain if you want to draw thin horizontal lines, or
> diagonal lines that cause only a single pixel to be illuminated on a scan
> line.  In these cases the refresh rate is only the frame rate (eg. 30 Hz),
> not the field rate, and flicker becomes quite annoying.  You can
> occasionally see this on poorly designed text overlaid during TV sports
> programs.  The flicker can be very visible.
> --
>   Terry Ingoldsby                       ctycal!ingoldsb@calgary.UUCP
>   Land Information Systems                           or
>   The City of Calgary         ...{alberta,ubc-cs,utai}!calgary!ctycal!ingoldsb

I don't think I've ever noticed this.  If this is the kind of argument
that is being used, I think the industry is putting something over on
us.  I HAVE noticed the following:
1) When watching film on TV, pans get doubled (probably also tripled)
images because the stationary images get frozen on my retina while I
try to follow the apparent motion.  If a 24 fps HDTV standard is
adopted, with triple scanning of frames, I'm going to see tripled
images any time the image pans.

2) When watching film on film, pans are horribly blurred because the
image DOESN'T get frozen on my retina while I follow the apparent
motion.  IMAX is just as bad as the others.  Does anyone know of
attempts to build strobed theater projection systems that avoid this
problem?

Interlace seems to be an excellent way to cut the bandwidth in half
while avoiding flicker and motion artifacts.  Other than pressure
from the movie industry, what are the other arguments for eliminating
interlace?
--

dya@unccvax.UUCP (York David Anthony @ WKTD, Wilmington, NC) (08/18/89)

In article <12045@ulysses.homer.nj.att.com>, ggs@ulysses.homer.nj.att.com (Griff Smith) writes:

> Interlace seems to be an excellent way to cut the bandwidth in half
> while avoiding flicker and motion artifacts.  Other than pressure
> from the movie industry, what are the other arguments for eliminating
> interlace?

	1. Interlace causes a line crawl artifact which is extremely
obvious and highly annoying.

	2. Interlace lowers the vertical resolution for a given number
of TV lines.  This is principally due to intratarget leakage in tube
type cameras, and the precharge/decay time characteristics of the
CRT phosphour.  ("Deinterlacing" by using a long persistance phosphour
works, but screws up motion royally.)

	3. Interlace requires the ability to retrigger the vertical
oscillator with much greater precision than progressive scan, in
order that the "odd" lines fall exactly inside the "even" lines;

	4. Odd/even field housekeeping can sometimes be a pain in
the butt when it comes to designing things like time base correctors
and such.  Why bother?

	Yes, interlacing does save approximately half the bandwidth,
but it also cuts the information content in the diagonal and vertical
domain.

York David Anthony
BPH-880505OT (WRPL) Wadesboro, NC

brian@apt.UUCP (Brian Litzinger) (08/18/89)

From article <12045@ulysses.homer.nj.att.com>, by ggs@ulysses.homer.nj.att.com (Griff Smith):
> In article <428@ctycal.UUCP>, ingoldsb@ctycal.COM (Terry Ingoldsby) writes:
>> In article <12027@ulysses.homer.nj.att.com>, ggs@ulysses.homer.nj.att.com (Griff Smith) writes:
>> > I assume this is part of the attempt to get rid of interlace so the
>> > computer graphics folks can avoid motion artifacts.
>> > ...  What is so evil about interlace?
>> >
>> Interlace can be a real pain if you want to draw thin horizontal lines, or
>> diagonal lines that cause only a single pixel to be illuminated on a scan
>> line.  In these cases the refresh rate is only the frame rate (eg. 30 Hz),
>> not the field rate, and flicker becomes quite annoying.  You can
>> occasionally see this on poorly designed text overlaid during TV sports
>> programs.  The flicker can be very visible.
>
> I don't think I've ever noticed this.  If this is the kind of argument
> that is being used, I think the industry is putting something over on
> us.

I've noticed interlaced video flicker quite abit. I've been involved in
high resolution graphics (>1024x1024) since 1983.  Flicker from interlaced
video comes from two major causes.

One, horizontal lines or diagonal lines with long segments that are
horizontal tend to flicker because they are refreshed at have the
effective rate of the overall screen.  Blue usually flickers the most
followed by red, then green.

Two, the interfield registration of the two interlaced fields.  Some
people call this jitter.

Your ability to sense flicker is also affected by several things.

One, the persistence of the phosphers used in the display.  Long
persistence displays reduce flicker problems, but are generally
dimmer and lower your effective resolution because of the slower
response of the phospher.

Two, some companies, such as IBM, substitute a phospher which
produces a color called 'sky blue' rather than 'blue' in their
normal persistence monitors.  This reduces flicker problems in the
most  "flickery" color.

Three, the age of your eyeballs.  Older eyeballs often have a harder
time detecting flicker on displays.  Similar to how older ears can
have difficulty detecting higher frequency sounds.

Four, knowing what flicker looks like.  Often times people never
notice the flicker because no one ever pointed it out.  Similar to people
who have never noticed the panning that goes on in movies that have
been transfered to television.

> Interlace seems to be an excellent way to cut the bandwidth in half
> while avoiding flicker and motion artifacts.

There ain't no such thing as a free lunch.  You definitely give up
something with interlaced video.  Have you seen the TOSHIBA double
scanning television?

<>  Brian Litzinger @ APT Technology Inc., San Jose, CA
<>  UUCP:  {apple,sun,pyramid}!daver!apt!brian    brian@apt.UUCP
<>  VOICE: 408 370 9077      FAX: 408 370 9291

ggs@ulysses.homer.nj.att.com (Griff Smith) (08/18/89)

In article <1612@unccvax.UUCP>, dya@unccvax.UUCP (York David Anthony @ WKTD, Wilmington, NC) writes:
> In article <12045@ulysses.homer.nj.att.com>, ggs@ulysses.homer.nj.att.com (Griff Smith) writes:
>
> > Interlace seems to be an excellent way to cut the bandwidth in half
> > while avoiding flicker and motion artifacts.  Other than pressure
> > from the movie industry, what are the other arguments for eliminating
> > interlace?
[deleted some good arguments against interlace]
> 	Yes, interlacing does save approximately half the bandwidth,
> but it also cuts the information content in the diagonal and vertical
> domain.
>
> York David Anthony
> BPH-880505OT (WRPL) Wadesboro, NC

Thanks, I think I learned something.  This all seems familiar, though.
Back in the 1970's, people in the computer industry were moaning about
the evils of using NRZI encoding for magnetic data tapes: poor clock
recovery, no skew correction, etc.  The solution was (flourish of
trumpets) Phase Encoding.  Double the bit density, but reserve half the
bits for flux change references.  We all thought this was wonderful.
But the next revolution went back to NRZI.  In the interim, the
advances in electronics had made it possible to conquer the NRZI dragon.
They used GCR to make the flux change density high enough to ensure
proper clock recovery.

I would be delighted to see 60 hz progressive scan HDTV, but I assume
we can't afford the bandwidth yet.  Given a choice between using 30 Hz
progressive scan with motion artifacts caused by frame doubling, and
using 60Hz interlaced scan with alternate fields digitally synthesized
to eliminate twitter, I'll take the latter.  I think a lot of the
problems you describe will go away as more intelligent receiving
equipment becomes available.  24 Hz is a short-sighted standard, and
I'm annoyed that it's even being considered.
--

ingoldsb@ctycal.COM (Terry Ingoldsby) (08/19/89)

In article <12045@ulysses.homer.nj.att.com>, ggs@ulysses.homer.nj.att.com (Griff Smith) writes:
> In article <428@ctycal.UUCP>, ingoldsb@ctycal.COM (Terry Ingoldsby) writes:
> > In article <12027@ulysses.homer.nj.att.com>, ggs@ulysses.homer.nj.att.com (Griff Smith) writes:
> > > ...  What is so evil about interlace?
> > >
> > Interlace can be a real pain if you want to draw thin horizontal lines, or
> > diagonal lines that cause only a single pixel to be illuminated on a scan
> > line.  In these cases the refresh rate is only the frame rate (eg. 30 Hz),
> > not the field rate, and flicker becomes quite annoying.  You can
> > occasionally see this on poorly designed text overlaid during TV sports
> > programs.  The flicker can be very visible.
> I don't think I've ever noticed this.  If this is the kind of argument

The TV people are very careful to avoid this situation, so you won't see
it very often.  Once in a while they screw up and it is visible.
> Interlace seems to be an excellent way to cut the bandwidth in half
> while avoiding flicker and motion artifacts.  Other than pressure
> from the movie industry, what are the other arguments for eliminating
> interlace?

Interlace IS a good way to cut the bandwidth in half and still give relatively
good performance wrt flicker, etc..  It is not a *perfect* solution.
Interlace is not bad for low resolution images (ie, almost everything spans
two horizontal lines).  High res images, or those created by a computer can
be a pain with interlace.

These problems can be overcome at the receiver by taking the interlaced
info, storing it in a frame buffer, and clocking in out (non-interlaced)
at 60 frames per second.  Even though the odd/even info is only changing
every 1/30 of a second, it is refreshed more often and so it doesn't
flicker.  Motion artifacts might still be visible.  Note that this is
roughly equivalent to a CRT with a 1/30 sec persistence on the phosphor.

--
  Terry Ingoldsby                       ctycal!ingoldsb@calgary.UUCP
  Land Information Systems                           or
  The City of Calgary         ...{alberta,ubc-cs,utai}!calgary!ctycal!ingoldsb

paul@moncam.co.uk (Paul Hudson) (08/20/89)

Continuing the discussion ....

When we were discussing using interlace for a computer at my previous
work, we tried various lines& shapse in interlaced & non-interlaced
modes on a few people. One thing that came from this is that the
visibility of interlace flicker varies from person to person - I'm one
of those who find it very objectionable, ggs@ulysses.homer.nj.att.com
(Griff Smith) is presumably on the other end of the scale.

--
Paul Hudson	These opinions void where prohibited by law.
Until 23 August (but (e)mail will be forwarded for a while)

yost@esquire.UUCP (David A. Yost) (08/22/89)

In article <12611@pur-ee.UUCP> 3ksnn64@pur-ee.UUCP (Joe Cychosz) writes:
>Omnimax and Imax use 70mm film.  And yes the image is allong the sprocket
>holes instead of across.  The size for the frame is approximately 70mm
>by 50mm.  I have seen a longer format in which a frame was about 2.5
>times longer than the standard Omnimax frame.  I believe that this was used
>in the GE pavilion at Epcot Center.

The Epcot GE pavilion uses normal Omnimax format.
Imax and Omnimax are 70mm film traveling sideways, 15
perfs per frame.  (Traditional 70 mm travels vertically
with 5 perfs per frame.  Imax is 1.33 aspect ratio, and
the weird-shaped Omnimax image fits within that frame.

 --dave yost

<12611@pur-ee.UUCP>
Logged in usenet category "I'm not sure, but..."
as number 137,438 (for the month of August).