[rec.video] ***Call for discussion: Rec.video.software***

kanefsky@umn-cs.CS.UMN.EDU (Steve Kanefsky) (11/21/89)

In article <48512@bbn.COM> rshapiro@BBN.COM (Richard Shapiro) writes:
>In article <17100@umn-cs.CS.UMN.EDU> kanefsky@umn-cs.cs.umn.edu (Steve Kanefsky) writes:
>>This is a formal call for discussion on the formation of a new newsgroup
>>to be called rec.video.software (the name is also up for discussion, for
>>those who may be opposed to the use of "software" in this context).
>>
>>This unmoderated group would be for the discussion of video software in any
>>currently available format, including VHS, S-VHS, Beta, ED-Beta, 8mm, and
>>Laserdisc, as well as past and future video formats.
>

>                                              I would say, though,
>that the charter should explicitly exclude discussions about the
>artistic and/or entertainment merits of a movie or video. These belong
>on r.a.m.

Yes, I failed to state explicitly that I believe that rec.video.software
should be devoid of any discussion which doesn't pertain directly to
the video transfer.

Here's one thing I haven't worked out yet, though:  Should spoilers be
ok with no warning in this group, should there be a complete ban on
spoilers, or should the same rules apply as in Rec.arts.movies?  I
would much rather have either free-for-all spoilers or no spoilers at
all. I don't think putting "(spoilers)" in the subject line would be
feasable in this group.

>I'm not crazy about the name, but it is self-explanatory and I can't
>come up with anything better. I would support the proposal under this
>name.

Bob Niland suggested Rec.video.titles, but I still favor Rec.video.software
at this point.

--
Steve Kanefsky
kanefsky@umn-cs.cs.umn.edu

rshapiro@bbn.com (Richard Shapiro) (11/22/89)

In article <17200@umn-cs.CS.UMN.EDU> kanefsky@umn-cs.cs.umn.edu (Steve Kanefsky) writes:
>Here's one thing I haven't worked out yet, though:  Should spoilers be
>ok with no warning in this group, should there be a complete ban on
>spoilers, or should the same rules apply as in Rec.arts.movies?

If a transfer screwup happens to take place during a spoiler scene, we
need to know. I agree that spoiler warnings are tedious in this
situation, so I'd say we should simply ignore the whole "spoiler"
issue altogether. People can just skip over articles about movies they
haven't seen (which might suggest that the subject line should always
contain the title of the video in question).

>Bob Niland suggested Rec.video.titles, but I still favor Rec.video.software
>at this point.

Given this choice, I'd go with "software". The naming issue doesn't
seem to be all that serious in this case -- no hierarchy confusions or
bizarre acronyms to deal with. Let's just stick with "rec.video.software".

oc@vmp.UUCP (Orlan Cannon) (11/23/89)

In article <7970038@hpfcso.HP.COM> rjn@hpfcso.HP.COM (Bob Niland) writes:
>re: "...call for the discussion of a new newsgroup called rec.video.software"
>re: "rec.video.software"
>
>...I suggest we
>avoid the suffixes:  "software" and "programming".
>
>May I once again suggest:  rec.video.titles

Throughout the video industry, which extends to those misty shores
known as the video rental and purchase customer, the stuff that is
stored on videotape is called "software."  This may indeed be confusing
to a computer programmer.  But it should be very familiar to anyone
who regularly reads a group called "rec.video.*".

Discussing pre-recorded video software is what I do all day.  I
welcome a group that would help me cut through the hardware information
(which is of very little interest to me) in rec.video.

--
--Orlan Cannon                            ...!uunet!vmp!oc
  Video Marketing & Publications, Inc.    vmp!oc@uunet.uu.net

oc@vmp.UUCP (Orlan Cannon) (11/26/89)

I am posting this for Mathew, who cannot post to the net.

In article <2717@vmp.UUCP> you write:
>In article <7970038@hpfcso.HP.COM> rjn@hpfcso.HP.COM (Bob Niland) writes:
>>re: "...call for the discussion of a new newsgroup called rec.video.software"
>>re: "rec.video.software"
>>
>>...I suggest we
>>avoid the suffixes:  "software" and "programming".
>>
>>May I once again suggest:  rec.video.titles
>
>Throughout the video industry, which extends to those misty shores
>known as the video rental and purchase customer, the stuff that is
>stored on videotape is called "software."  This may indeed be confusing
>to a computer programmer.  But it should be very familiar to anyone
>who regularly reads a group called "rec.video.*".

Throughout the UNITED STATES OF AMERICA, perhaps. In this country I have NEVER
heard anyone describe the contents of a video cassette as "software", and I
have never seen it described in such a way in any catalogue or published
promotional material. My father and uncle both work in the UK film industry,
so I'm talking about press releases and the like, not just magazines from the
local newsagent.

I will vote in favour of rec.video.titles or rec.video.releases. I will most
definitely vote AGAINST rec.video.software if it is proposed. Usenet is no
longer the exclusive province of the United States; you may be quite happy
to butcher the English language, but don't try to foist your ill-chosen trendy
jargon on us.

Sorry if this seems a little irate; it's not really a personal attack - I can't
post to the net, unfortunately, so I'm hoping someone else will make the point
for me. Permission is given to quote any of this if you feel like it.

mathew.
--
mathew.   Undergraduate, Computer Lab, Cambridge University, United Kingdom.
JANET:       smm12@uk.ac.cam.cl      EAN:         smm12%cam.cl@ean-relay.ac.uk

In article <2718@vmp.UUCP>, mathew writes:
| In article <2717@vmp.UUCP> you write:
| >In article <7970038@hpfcso.HP.COM> rjn@hpfcso.HP.COM (Bob Niland) writes:
| >>re: "...call for the discussion of a new newsgroup called rec.video.software"
| >... the stuff that is
| >stored on videotape is called "software."
|
| Throughout the UNITED STATES OF AMERICA, perhaps. In this country I have NEVER
| heard anyone describe the contents of a video cassette as "software"
|
| I will vote in favour of rec.video.titles or rec.video.releases. I will most
| definitely vote AGAINST rec.video.software if it is proposed. Usenet is no
| longer the exclusive province of the United States; you may be quite happy
| to butcher the English language, but don't try to foist your ill-chosen trendy
| jargon on us.

Mathew is quite correct that I am unfamiliar with British usage.  The
largest video industry group in the U.S. is called the "Video Software
Dealers Association."  Are there equivalents in other countries?