[rec.video] CYBER VCR

mike@pixar.UUCP (Mike Russell) (12/12/89)

This is a followup on my earlier request for information on using the
Atari ST as an edit controller.

Many thanks to Patrick (patrick@hpmcaa.mcm.hp.com) for providing
the name "CYBER_VCR".  I was able to discover this product at several
loacl Atari Dealers, and bought a copy at Berkeley's MicroWorld ~$60
after a 15% discount.

The product consists of a disk an adapter that connects the ST's
parallel port to a SONY control-L socket.  Being me, I popped open
the connector and found an NPN transistor and a couple of resistors.

I couldn't tell from the connector whether communication with the
computer is two way or not.  I suspect the software sits in a loop
and noodles a data or control bit to send packets.  I'd much prefer
communication via a standard serial port instead of the parallel port,
both for portability to other machines and for efficiency.

The software, written by Tom Hudson, wastes no time on pretty icons
but is still pretty nifty, allowing a color Atari ST to
record a sequence of images to video tape.  Unfortunately, you must have
a system with al least 1 meg of memory, AND the ability to generate
a composite video output.  Can you say oxymoron?  I have both a 1040 and
a 512st and neither one will run the software.  However they do give
a list of folks who provide 520 memory upgrades and/or 1040/Mega
RGB to composite converters.

I haven't used the product yet, but it claims to be able to display
animation loops, stills, and wipes, sourcing a long list of ST image
formats (neochrome, degas, CYBERPAINT0.  Alas, no spectrum 512.

The manual is written in Tom Hudson's usual direct, lively style,
and contains some good historical "anecdotes".  I must mention that
the definition of composite video he gives is only approximately
correct but good enough for software folks. (Composite really means
that sync and picture information are mixed, and does not refer to
mixing of color channel information).

Thoughts on Control-L:

CYBER VCR's timing is in units of frames, and this got me wondering if single
frame record is possible using control-L.  I suspect, however, that the
ST simply moves the video base address around to accomplish frame
accurate timing, and uses control-L to manage the less time-critical
functions of pausing the recorder.

So - I have some exploring and experimenting to do here.  The idea of
using a personal computer talking control-L to control video equipment
is something I bet we're going to hear a lot more about in the near future.
Maybe this will do for video what MIDI did for synths.
--
Mike Russell ucbvax!pixar!mike	When the vark gets ard,
				the ard get varking.

greg@sj.ate.slb.com (Greg Wageman) (12/16/89)

Opinions expressed are the responsibility of the author.

In article <8070@pixar.UUCP> mike@pixar.UUCP (Mike Russell) writes:

>The software, written by Tom Hudson, wastes no time on pretty icons
>but is still pretty nifty, allowing a color Atari ST to
>record a sequence of images to video tape.  Unfortunately, you must have
>a system with al least 1 meg of memory, AND the ability to generate
>a composite video output.  Can you say oxymoron?  I have both a 1040 and
>a 512st and neither one will run the software.  However they do give
>a list of folks who provide 520 memory upgrades and/or 1040/Mega
>RGB to composite converters.

I purchased Practical Solutions' Videokey box for my 1040.  Depending
on the quality you're aiming for, this may be "good enough"; the price
is right ($99).  Don't expect broadcast quality (not by a long shot).

>So - I have some exploring and experimenting to do here.  The idea of
>using a personal computer talking control-L to control video equipment
>is something I bet we're going to hear a lot more about in the near future.
>Maybe this will do for video what MIDI did for synths.

Well, it might- if Sony were still putting the jack on their
equipment!  The latest generation of Sony controllers use "Control-S",
not Control-L.  Control-S uses a 3-wire, stereo-mini-plug type
connection, rather than a 5-pin mini-DIN.  I have no idea how
compatible they are at either the protocol or electrical levels.

Copyright 1989 Greg Wageman	DOMAIN: greg@sj.ate.slb.com
Schlumberger Technologies	UUCP:   {uunet,decwrl,amdahl}!sjsca4!greg
San Jose, CA 95110-1397		BIX: gwage  CIS: 74016,352  GEnie: G.WAGEMAN
        Permission granted for not-for-profit reproduction only.