[rec.video] Box to connect laserdisk player to Mac?

davidl@leonardo.intel.com (David D. Levine) (12/20/89)

I just acquired a laser videodisk/CD player (Pioneer CLD-1070).  Is there a
box that can connect this player to my Macintosh (IIcx) as a CD-ROM reader?
(I would bet there isn't, since there doesn't appear to be a digital output
on the back of the player.)

Failing that, how about a box that just lets the Mac control the disk player?
I bet this one does exist; I have seen HyperCard software that uses XCMDs to
control a disk player to give a video tour of the National Museum of Art (or
was it the Louvre), although I haven't actually seen it in action.  Of
course, I would also be looking for laser disks and software to use with
this box.

Please respond by mail.  However, if your mail bounces or you do not receive
an acknowledgement, please post to rec.video.  Thanks in the proverbial
advance.

- David D. Levine, Intel IMSO Tech Pubs
  davidl@leonardo.intel.com
  "We control the horizontal; we control the vertical."

moriarty@tc.fluke.COM (Jeff Meyer) (12/21/89)

In article <764@gandalf.littlei.UUCP> davidl@leonardo.intel.com (David D. Levine) writes:
>I just acquired a laser videodisk/CD player (Pioneer CLD-1070).  Is there a
>box that can connect this player to my Macintosh (IIcx) as a CD-ROM reader?
>(I would bet there isn't, since there doesn't appear to be a digital output
>on the back of the player.)

Just an addition; I have a Mac and a new LD player WITH a digital output (a
Philips player), and would also be interested in such a critter.

                           "Baldrick, you wouldn't see a subtle plan if it
                            painted itself purple and danced naked on top of a
                            harpsichord singing 'Subtle Plans Are Here
                            Again'."
---
                                        Moriarty, aka Jeff Meyer
INTERNET:     moriarty@tc.fluke.COM
Manual UUCP:  {uw-beaver, sun, microsoft, hplsla, uiucuxc}!fluke!moriarty
CREDO:        You gotta be Cruel to be Kind...