[rec.video] NTSC viewing distance

tbarnes@Teknowledge.COM (Terry A Barnes) (02/27/90)

In article <1990Feb26.215623.9194@imax.com> dave@imax.com (Dave Martindale) writes:
> [...]
>NTSC television is intended to be viewed from a distance of about 10
>times the picture height. [...]

Is this true - I've read articles with varying ideal measures of how far the
eye should be from the screen - 5 times the diagonal, 8 times the height (which
is almost the same thing), >6 times the diagonal, etc.  Does anyone have a
definitive answer?

What are the effects of closer viewing - eye strain, visible scan lines, what?
I'm tempted to get a 30+ inch monitor when I upgrade, but what if the couch is
only 10 feet from the screen - would I be sorry I got a "too big" screen?

			Terry Barnes

INTERNET:  tbarnes@teknowledge.com
  USENET:  {hplabs|sun|ucbvax|decwrl}!tbarnes%teknowledge.com
HARDCOPY:  Cimflex Teknowledge, 1810 Embarcadero Road, Palo Alto, CA 94303
   PHONE:  (415) 424-0500 x416