[rec.video] U.S. HDTV STANDARDS DELEGATION SCUTTLES 1920x1080 COMMON IMAGE FOR

ms6b+@andrew.cmu.edu (Marvin Sirbu) (03/07/90)

 Before anyone jumps all over the US delegation to CCIR, they ought to
be sure they understand all aspects of this issue.  For example, Poynton
claims the delegation rejected the recommendations of the ATSC on this
issue.  In previous years, the ATSC position has been dominated by
the television networks and video producers.  They don't care very much
how a standard affects the US computer or consumer electronics industry--
simply having any standard helps them to export video productions.
The US is in the midst of a major study led by the FCC on appropriate
standards for HDTV. Within the next year, at least half a dozen proposed
systems will undergo extensive comparative testing.  It makes perfect
sense for the US to delay taking a position while this process is
underway.

Marvin Sirbu
Carnegie Mellon University

poynton@vector.Sun.COM (Charles A. Poynton) (03/07/90)

I'm encouraged to see Marvin Sirbu's note and what might be the beginning of a
discussion here.  I'll follow this posting with my HDTV/ATV Glossary.

> ... Within the next year, ...

It's been pushed back.  Testing won't begin until September 1990.  Faroudja's
SuperNTSC is up first.  The complete suite of tests will take about a year, 'til
about Sept. 1991, then the process of deciding commences.

> ... half a dozen proposed systems will undergo extensive comparative testing

The ATSC has a dual role.

The ATSC advises the FCC on standards for _domestic_ Advanced Television
transmission, *ATV*.  Consumer entertainment.

The ATSC advises the US CCIR National Comittee on standards for *HDTV* studio
production and _international_ program exchange.  It's HDTV production equipment
that's applicable to the computer industry.  This has little or nothing to do
with entertainment.

The CCIR delegation is addressing only HDTV production and exchange.  The
testing of domestic terrestrial transmission systems is irrelevant to
international exchange.

> ... the ATSC position has been dominated by the television networks ...

The ATSC has been dominated by broadcasters.  Remarkably the interests of the
computer industry are beginning to be acknowledged by them.  Also, there is an
increasing awareness among broadcasters that they can make use of computer
technology, so much so that the ATSC agreed six months ago to officially endorse
square pixels!  However the representative from the Media Lab encouraged the
State Department to nix that position at the last CCIR meeting:  despite ATSC's
endorsement, the U.S. offered no position on that issue.

Now the ATSC is in a position to promote a two megapixel HDTV production
standard internationally.  Frame rate and interlace are not on the agenda:  the
sole issue is picture format.  The three choices on the table are:

(a)    1920x1080 [2 Mpx],
(b)    2048x1152 [2 1/4 Mpx] or
(c)    do nothing for four more years.

> ... They don't care very much how a standard affects the US computer ...

HDTV equipment will not be embraced by the computer community until it is
standardized.  The BROADCASTERS on the ATSC reached agreement on 1920x1080 --
two megapixels -- and square ones at that!  What's ironic is that the US CCIR
delegation perceives that the COMPUTER INDUSTRY is against this proposal!  Wild.

> ... It makes perfect sense for the US to delay ...

Although the interests of some U.S. organizations are best served by delaying
the adoption of the technology, the computer industry needs to exploit it.  We
can contribute to acceptance of a standard that will give U.S. computer
manufacturers access to the display technology of the [near] future, or we can
sit around for four more years and watch certain other nations continue to work
feverishly to build computers with great big high-quality displays.  These
nations progressed from building the majority of our television sets to
providing virtually ALL computer displays.  They progressed from providing the
vast majority of DRAMs to supplying a huge fraction of our PC-class computers.

Now they want to computers.  BIG computers.  Workstations.  Mainframes.

The meaning of HDTV in the United States is not the "rejeuvenation of the
domestic consumer electronics manufacturing industry."  It's the continued
health of the COMPUTER industry.  Let's not botch this one.

Sayonara [sp?],

C.

I wrote:

> Now the ATSC is in a position ...

The ATSC already agreed.  The **United States** is in a position ...

Sorry!

C.

mikemc@mustang.ncr-fc.FtCollins.NCR.com (Mike McManus) (03/10/90)

In article <132618@sun.Eng.Sun.COM> poynton@vector.Sun.COM (Charles A. Poynton) writes:
>   The meaning of HDTV in the United States is not the "rejeuvenation of the
>   domestic consumer electronics manufacturing industry."  It's the continued
>   health of the COMPUTER industry.  Let's not botch this one.

Amen.

We can't afford to sit around and be followers.  It's bad enough that we've
lost our advantage of being a nation that produces a large chuck of the world's
technological advances, but to now say we should sit around and become
followers instead of leaders... Ooh, makes my skin crawl!

(Sorry for the commentary, but I had to get my $.02 in...)
--
Disclaimer: All spelling and/or grammer in this document are guaranteed to be
            correct; any exseptions is the is wurk uv intter-net deemuns.

Mike McManus (mikemc@ncr-fc.FtCollins.ncr.com)
NCR Microelectronics
2001 Danfield Ct.                   ncr-fc!mikemc@ncr-sd.sandiego.ncr.com, or
Ft. Collins,  Colorado              ncr-fc!mikemc@ccncsu.colostate.edu, or
(303) 223-5100   Ext. 360           uunet!ncrlnk!ncr-sd!ncr-fc!garage!mikemc

mfolivo@sactoh0.UUCP (Mark F. Newton) (03/11/90)

Well, I would suggest that we use the MUSE system. Why wait years
and years for a system that hasn't even be finalized, and settle
for something that will most probably be inferior. (re: American
MTS system. Japan had theirs before ours, and we got stuck with
Zenith's system, and they got rich.)

Billions spent on competing systems, and for what? Pride?
Selfishness? Come on, even some of the major Japanese manufacturers
(Matsushita, Sony, Toshiba, for example) built their TV sets in
American facilities.

Money spent, while we have to wait on the wayside, while Japan
begins HDTV broadcast satellite (BS) service.

OUr companies should save the money, and come up with better and
less expensive HDTV sets, rather than spend money onsomething
completely different, thus making early HDTV sets incredibly
expensive, as the US companies try to recoup development costs,
thus making the sets very unpopular.

Sure MUSE is not perfect, but Sony and NHK surely has made the
system expandable, it's available *now*. By the way, I believe NHK
and Sony is working on an NTSC compatible MUSE system.

--
                             Mark Newton-John
   (ames att sun)!pacbell! \      Sakura-mendo, CA

pshen@atrp.mit.edu (Paul Shen) (03/13/90)

In article <2694@sactoh0.UUCP> mfolivo@sactoh0.UUCP (Mark F. Newton) writes:
>OUr companies should save the money, and come up with better and
>less expensive HDTV sets, rather than spend money onsomething
>completely different, thus making early HDTV sets incredibly
>expensive, as the US companies try to recoup development costs,
>thus making the sets very unpopular.
You are right. We have to develope low cost HDTV sets. But this will be
possible, only if we knows about the detail of the technology. It is
doubtful that we can easily get them from them. After the cold war,
the only market can keep our semiconductor industry running is the
consumer market. I don't think we can afford to lose it.
| Email:        pshen@atrp.mit.edu                  |       Paul Shen       |
| Address:      MIT, 36-665, Cambridge, Ma 02139    |  Tel. (617) 864-3210  |

wen-king@cit-vax.Caltech.Edu (King Su) (03/13/90)

In article <1990Mar13.023805.24765@athena.mit.edu> pshen@atrp.mit.edu (Paul Shen) writes:
>In article <2694@sactoh0.UUCP> mfolivo@sactoh0.UUCP (Mark F. Newton) writes:
<>OUr companies should save the money, and come up with better and
>>less expensive HDTV sets, rather than spend money onsomething
<>completely different, thus making early HDTV sets incredibly
>>expensive, as the US companies try to recoup development costs,
<>thus making the sets very unpopular.
<You are right. We have to develope low cost HDTV sets. But this will be
>possible, only if we knows about the detail of the technology. It is
<doubtful that we can easily get them from them. After the cold war,
>the only market can keep our semiconductor industry running is the
<consumer market. I don't think we can afford to lose it.

Does anybody really believe that we (US) can get to keep an edge on a
new technology if the product can't be manufactured cheaply here?  If
the Japanese can make HDTV sets with higher quality and at a lower cost,
I would think that in as little as 2 to 3 years after we developed our
technology, the Japanese would be in the position to flood US market
with their HDTV sets.  Our HDTV manufacturing industry, already heavily
burdened by the large initial R&D investment and hindered by low consumer
demand (due to high prices), will certainly collapse in no time.  This
kind of thing has happened several times in the past.  What we need now
is to spend money to improve our manufacturing capabilities.  If we can
make them cheaper and better than the Japanese, the Japanese certainly
will move their manufacturing base (and thus technology) to US.  It is
the manufacturing sector that brings real cash to shore up the economy,
not the royalties from R&D.
--
/*------------------------------------------------------------------------*\
| Wen-King Su  wen-king@vlsi.caltech.edu  Caltech Corp of Cosmic Engineers |

roc@crg5.UUCP (Ron Christian) (03/14/90)

In article <14248@cit-vax.Caltech.Edu> wen-king@cit-vax.UUCP (Wen-King Su) writes:
>  It is
>the manufacturing sector that brings real cash to shore up the economy,
>not the royalties from R&D.

Exactly.  Why spend R&D bucks when a standard already exists?  It's money
spent for little long term gain.  The American company that embraces an
existing standard will be first to market in America, and will be less
far behind in the world market.  The companies that futz around trying to
reinvent the wheel will be, at least on the world market, introducing product
that competes with earlier, more firmly intrenched standards.  No single
American company is big enough to compete effectively in this fashion
anymore.  We lost the race to invent an HDTV standard.  We got started
too late.  Let's face up to that and see what we can do about getting
product out.

				Ron

thant@horus.esd.sgi.com (Thant Tessman) (03/14/90)

(Paul Shen) writes:
> In article <2694@sactoh0.UUCP> mfolivo@sactoh0.UUCP (Mark F. Newton) writes:
> >OUr companies should save the money, and come up with better and
> >less expensive HDTV sets, rather than spend money onsomething
> >completely different, thus making early HDTV sets incredibly
> >expensive, as the US companies try to recoup development costs,
> >thus making the sets very unpopular.
> You are right. We have to develope low cost HDTV sets. But this will be
> possible, only if we knows about the detail of the technology. It is
> doubtful that we can easily get them from them. After the cold war,
> the only market can keep our semiconductor industry running is the
> consumer market. I don't think we can afford to lose it.

This isn't the place for this, but I can't stand it anymore.

Reagan's (and now Bush's) protectionist measures benefit the
semiconductor industry, but only at the expense of the computer
industry as a whole.  Who cares if the Japanese are better at
building chips?  The U.S. still produces the best computers
(using Japanese chips) and the best software.  The cheaper and
better the chips (no matter where they come from) the better the
computers we can build.

The U.S. shouldn't try to redo what the Japanese have done (and
force the consumer to pay for it), but rather should leverage
off it.  For example, the potential HDTV industry doesn't just
stop at building consumer television sets.  There is a lot of
leveraging that the computer industry, as well as the
entertainment industry can be doing right now if it wasn't for
the FCC.

It was the television industry got the fucking FCC
to shoot a lot of new technology development in the foot in order
to save their own investments in older technology and get consumers
to pay for it whether they wanted to or not.  (It's exactly
as if the record industry outlawed CDs.  The difference is that
the record industry didn't have an FCC to do it for them.)

The U.S. industries are incredibly innovative when it comes to
creating new technology.  Almost everything is invented here:
the transistor, the VCR, the photocopier, Sony's trinitron
technology, all invented in the U.S.

Yes, the U.S. has to learn some things from the Japanese about
manufacturing, but it isn't what most people think.  There was
a Scientific American article (sorry, I can't be more specific)
that pointed out that a car designed in Japan and manufactured
in the U.S. has the same high quality and low defect rate that
one built in Japan has.  They are very good at designing things
with manufacturing in mind.  They are also very good at refining
technology (which realy is what their HDTV technology is).
These are the lessons that need to be learned, and are being
learned, from the Japanese.

The worst thing the U.S. could do is to set up retaliatory
trade barriers because they almost never work to reduce
foreign trade barriers.  (e-mail me for a more detailed article
on this.)

Also, government subsidizations of technological development
does more harm than good to the economy.  And just like
trade barriers, all it is is a thinly disguised subsidization
of a single industry or even a single corporation, at the
expense of the economy as a whole.

A much more healthy approach would be to just lower taxes so
consumers could afford all this technological development, and
investors would be more likely to invest.  And as a side-effect,
investors would invest based on potential consumer demand.  (Gee,
what a novel idea!)  (By the way, taxes during Reagan's
administration went up by 50%, not down.)

Canada holds far more investments in the U.S. than Japan does.
All this Japan bashing is a government/media fabrication,
because the government needs an enemy to use as a scapegoat
for what the government itself has done to the economy.

thant

gbrown@tybalt.caltech.edu (Glenn C. Brown) (03/15/90)

wen-king@cit-vax.Caltech.Edu (King Su) writes:

>[...]  Our HDTV manufacturing industry, already heavily
>burdened by the large initial R&D investment and hindered by low consumer
>demand (due to high prices), will certainly collapse in no time.  This
>kind of thing has happened several times in the past.[...]

Examples?

mikemc@mustang.ncr-fc.FtCollins.NCR.com (Mike McManus) (03/16/90)

In article <2694@sactoh0.UUCP> mfolivo@sactoh0.UUCP (Mark F. Newton) writes:
>   Well, I would suggest that we use the MUSE system. Why wait years
>   and years for a system that hasn't even be finalized, and settle
>   for something that will most probably be inferior. (re: American
>   MTS system. Japan had theirs before ours, and we got stuck with
>   Zenith's system, and they got rich.)
>
>   Billions spent on competing systems, and for what? Pride?
>   Selfishness? Come on, even some of the major Japanese manufacturers
>   (Matsushita, Sony, Toshiba, for example) built their TV sets in
>   American facilities.

IMHO, your analysis is correct: If we develop our own standard (read =>
different than the Japanese), then they will not be able to compete in our
market (not right away, at least).  And just like that, we have a U.S.
"monopoly" (of sorts).  And no need to go begging to Congress for import
restrictions.  Gee, isn't that clever!

>   Sure MUSE is not perfect, but Sony and NHK surely has made the
>   system expandable, it's available *now*. By the way, I believe NHK
>   and Sony is working on an NTSC compatible MUSE system.

And that's exactly the argument that folks will make, but I don't think it
holds up very well.  Sure, if you wait a while and let someone else work the
kinks out of a new system/standard/process, you can always improve on it later.
"Yeah, but then if we just waited a *LITTLE* longer, it could be even better!
And a little longer than that...  Heck, it'd be damn near perfect!"  At which
time the pace-setters have long since left you in the dust, and you are left
with a "perfect" obsolete system.  What a great idea!

As a disclaimer, I don't know much about the HDTV standards or controversy, I
just have a problem with the "but we must do it ourselves so that it will be
perfect..." mentality.