[rec.video] Overhead's LP comments

gbrown@tybalt.caltech.edu (Glenn C. Brown) (03/17/90)

news@haddock.ima.isc.com (overhead) writes:

>I never liked LPs.  Even an audiophile LP has pops & klicks, even
>the first play.  It gets worse each play.  A low grade audio
>cassette doesn't have terrible distractions or sound degradation.
>We could have dumped LPs long ago.  The industry kept pushing
>vinal.  They kept saying that it was "better".

If you've got a $10k system (my dad does), then records sound better than
CD's.  Problem is you have to have a $10k system, wash your records w/
a special record vacuum machine, coat your stylus w/ stuff before each
record, Then you eliminate the pops & clicks and get depth & imaging that
CD's don't yet have (because the DAC's aren't yet good enough.)  I used
to doubt the truth of this, but listening to several Audiophiles systems
has converted me!

>If over-the-air quality could be brought to laser disk standards
>it would be an overnight success.  If it was cable-only, I'd
>probably buy a better TV & spend the $30-$40 a month.  Heck, I
>might even watch it.

I'm glad to see someone sees my point!  Thanx!

>Stephen.

--Glenn

thant@horus.esd.sgi.com (Thant Tessman) (03/20/90)

In article <1990Mar17.024048.9588@spectre.ccsf.caltech.edu>,
gbrown@tybalt.caltech.edu (Glenn C. Brown) writes:
> news@haddock.ima.isc.com (overhead) writes:

> If you've got a $10k system (my dad does), then records sound better than
> CD's.  Problem is you have to have a $10k system, wash your records w/
> a special record vacuum machine, coat your stylus w/ stuff before each
> record, Then you eliminate the pops & clicks and get depth & imaging that
> CD's don't yet have (because the DAC's aren't yet good enough.)  I used
> to doubt the truth of this, but listening to several Audiophiles systems
> has converted me!
[...]
> --Glenn

I've had this argument with people.  The depth and imaging stuff you
are talking about comes from reproducing accurately the phase information
in the recording.  I believe you when you say that (expensive) record
players image better than most CD players, but I would claim that it is
because DAC's on most CD players probably aren't very carefull about
preserving phase.  (This of course would only be noticeable with few
recordings anyway.)  However, having heard both, I would
claim that a $10k record player does not sound better than a $10k CD
player.

thant