[rec.video] New Sony Multi-standard Player

marc@porsche944.Eng.Sun.COM (Marc Schneider) (08/15/90)

Hey!

 We just got in the new Sony industrial disc player, nice machine!.
This thing will playback NTSC, & PAL/SECAM, handle 12" or 8"
discs and has composite or SCART connector output. The audio is
non-digital though (can't have everything).

 It comes with a standard RS-232 port (1200,2400,4800,9600 baud) and
is compatable with the other sony industrial player commands.

-Marc

*                          *                                        *
* Marc T. Schneider        * "By not saying no to facism, you're    *
* Sun Microsystems, Inc.   *  saying yes" -Consolidated             *
* 2550 Garcia Ave MS 21-01 *                                        *
* Mountain View, Ca 94043  * Ph:(415) 336-6747  Fax: (415) 336-3936 *
*                          *                                        *

CTIBIOL@LIVERPOOL.AC.UK (08/16/90)

Without wishing to attract 'me-too' flames, we have also recently acquired a
dual standard Sony player, the Lasermax LDP 3600D, and, of course, a dual
standard monitor.

We haven't done much with it yet as we are new to the field and awaiting
details of drivers etc.  The point I am wanting to make is that I have a
reasonable idea of what is available in the way of discs in the UK (at least as
far as Biology is concerned) but would very much appreciate any addresses that
might give me a lead into the USA.  (I appreciate that there is a chicken-and-
egg situation here but the dual standard option at least allowed us to keep our
options open).

Incidentally, while we are talking of kit, we have also recently acquired an
Epson VP-100PS.  Again, we haven't had much chance to examine it in detail but
so far we are pleased with it (in terms of bang-for-buck in the projector
market).  Unfortunately the model we have is only PAL/SECAM....

Peter Miller
CTI Centre for Biology

brwk@doc.ic.ac.uk (Bevis King) (08/16/90)

In article <140627@sun.Eng.Sun.COM>, marc@porsche944.Eng.Sun.COM (Marc
Schneider) writes:
|>  We just got in the new Sony industrial disc player, nice machine!.
|> This thing will playback NTSC, & PAL/SECAM, handle 12" or 8"
|> discs and has composite or SCART connector output. The audio is
|> non-digital though (can't have everything).

I believe the model you are talking about it the Sony LDP3600.  While I
think the general move towards multi-standard machines is good, I feel
Sony are being rather "cheapskate" in not adding digital sound to the
machine.  This rules out the possibility of playing any of the current
mainstream PAL disc releases, which are all digital sound ONLY.  There
is not enough room in the PAL waveform for both Digital and Analogue
sound so it has to be either/or.

This is made doubly stupid by the fact that only one of the four plants
capable of manufacturing PAL discs is still prepared to promote the fact
that they do analogue pressings.  One of the plants that will only do
digital PAL pressings is Sony's own plant in Japan.  Introducing a dual
standard IV player that will not do digital sound at this point is
stupid.

Regards, Bevis

Bevis King, Systems Programmer        |   Email:  brwk@doc.ic.ac.uk
Dept of Computing, Imperial College   |   UUCP :  brwk@icdoc.UUCP
180 Queens Gate, London, SW7 2BZ, UK. |   Voice:  +44 71 589 5111 x 5085
          "Never argue with a computer" ... Avon (Blake's 7)

marc@porsche944.Eng.Sun.COM (Marc Schneider) (08/17/90)

In article <2191@gould.doc.ic.ac.uk> brwk@doc.ic.ac.uk (Bevis King) writes:

>I believe the model you are talking about it the Sony LDP3600.

Quite correct. Sorry I forgot to mention it..

> I feel
>Sony are being rather "cheapskate" in not adding digital sound to the
>machine.  This rules out the possibility of playing any of the current
>mainstream PAL disc releases, which are all digital sound ONLY.  There
>is not enough room in the PAL waveform for both Digital and Analogue
>sound so it has to be either/or.

AHHH! this explains why the art-of-noise PAL disc I have outputs garbage
for sound! I had forgoten about the non-analogue sound on digital
machines.

>Regards, Bevis

regards,

Marc

*                          *                                        *
* Marc T. Schneider        * "By not saying no to facism, you're    *
* Sun Microsystems, Inc.   *  saying yes" -Consolidated             *
* 2550 Garcia Ave MS 21-01 *                                        *
* Mountain View, Ca 94043  * Ph:(415) 336-6747  Fax: (415) 336-3936 *
*                          *                                        *

wheeler@osiris.cso.uiuc.edu (Wes Wheeler) (08/18/90)

Names of a few distibution companies in the U.S. (I've had no experience or
connection with these folks):

	Starship Enterprises
	605 Utterback Store Road
	Great Falls, Virginia, 22066

	Videodiscovery
	1515 Dexter Avenue North
	Suite 400
	Seattle, Washington, 98109

	Teaching Technoligies
	P.O. Box 3808
	San Luis Obispo, CA  93403

	Optical Data Corporation
	30 Technology Drive
	Warren, New Jersey, 07060

Note:  12" laserdiscs; several also have interface software and hardware