[rec.video] A simple

neeraj@axon.siemens.com (Neeraj Bhatnagar) (08/20/90)

THE PROBLEM: The only TV signal that I get at my home is through a cable
connection. The setup is the following:

	Cable input ---> Cable box ---> VCR --->  TV.

The VCR is set to channel 3. If I have to program my VCR to record something
from cable channel 23  at 10:00 AM  to 10:30 AM (say), I do the following:

Set the cable box to channel 23.
Program the VCR to record channel 3 at 10:00 AM till 10:30.

This arrangement works fine but suppose in addition to the above I have to
record cable channel 25 (say) at 11:30 AM on the same day. For this I have to
program my VCR to record

1. Channel 3 at 10 AM for 1/2 an hour.
2. Channel 3 at 11:30 AM for what ever time I want.

But the problem is that between 10:30 (when the first recording ends) and 11:30
AM (when the next recording is supposed to start) I have to PHYSICALLY go to
my cable box to reset it to channel 25. This is always inconvenient and some
times impossible.

MY QUESTION IS THAT CAN I RECORD PROGRAMS FROM TWO DIFFERENT CABLE CHANNELS ON TWO
DIFFERENT TIMES WITHOUT TOUCHING TO THE CABLE BOX IN BETWEEN.

My VCR (Panasonic VHS PV-4800), to the best of my knowledge, is NOT "cable
ready" so I can not get rid of the cable box.

The customer service representative of the cable company did not even
understand my question.

I can think of the following possible solutions:

1. Are there any programmable cable boxes available? If these boxes have a
clock and can be programmed to send different channels at different times my
problem is solved. How much do they cost?

2. Can I buy some gadget that will convert a "non-cable ready" TV/VCR into a
"cable ready" TV/VCR? If so I can get rid of my cable box completely.

Any suggestions?

Neeraj
--

kanefsky@cs.umn.edu (Steve Kanefsky) (08/21/90)

In article <NEERAJ.GNUS17@axon.siemens.com> neeraj@learning.siemens.com writes:

>This arrangement works fine but suppose in addition to the above I have to
>record cable channel 25 (say) at 11:30 AM on the same day. For this I have to
>program my VCR to record
>
>1. Channel 3 at 10 AM for 1/2 an hour.
>2. Channel 3 at 11:30 AM for what ever time I want.
>
>But the problem is that between 10:30 (when the first recording ends) and 11:30
>AM (when the next recording is supposed to start) I have to PHYSICALLY go to
>my cable box to reset it to channel 25. This is always inconvenient and some
>times impossible.
>
>MY QUESTION IS THAT CAN I RECORD PROGRAMS FROM TWO DIFFERENT CABLE CHANNELS ON TWO
>DIFFERENT TIMES WITHOUT TOUCHING TO THE CABLE BOX IN BETWEEN.
>
>My VCR (Panasonic VHS PV-4800), to the best of my knowledge, is NOT "cable
>ready" so I can not get rid of the cable box.

There are some universal remote controls which have clocks and timer
settings built in.  If your cable box is remote-controllable, you could
program the remote to change the channels on your cable box at the
appropriate time.

--
Steve Kanefsky
kanefsky@cs.umn.edu

vfg2@PQE1.phx.mcd.mot.com (08/21/90)

In article <NEERAJ.GNUS17@axon.siemens.com> neeraj@learning.siemens.com writes:
>THE PROBLEM: The only TV signal that I get at my home is through a cable
>connection. The setup is the following:

>	Cable input ---> Cable box ---> VCR --->  TV.

>The VCR is set to channel 3. If I have to program my VCR to record something
>from cable channel 23  at 10:00 AM  to 10:30 AM (say), I do the following:
>
>My VCR (Panasonic VHS PV-4800), to the best of my knowledge, is NOT "cable
>ready" so I can not get rid of the cable box.
>
>I can think of the following possible solutions:
>
>1. Are there any programmable cable boxes available? If these boxes have a
>clock and can be programmed to send different channels at different times my
>problem is solved. How much do they cost?

I've never seen a programmable cable box, but I've seen programmable
remotes that can change channels at preset times. Radio Shack carries
one for about $100, identical to the Memorex I've seen at dept. stores.
This will only work if your cable box has remote control, of course.
You'll have to program the VCR and the remote, and make sure the
remote is aimed at the VCR before you leave...

>2. Can I buy some gadget that will convert a "non-cable ready" TV/VCR into a
>"cable ready" TV/VCR? If so I can get rid of my cable box completely.

Sort of. Radio Shack carries a device that will shift the cable box's channel 3 output up to a UHF frequency, so you can watch the lower cable channels on your
TV or VCR and switch to the UHF channel to see what the box is tuned to.

cable--------splitter------device------vcr-------tv
                |__cable box__|

Channels 2-13 will go through to the VCR unchanged, while whatever
the cable box is tuned to will appear on some unused UHF channel.
This will only do the trick if both shows that you want to record
unattended are not above channel 13, though. The picture quality
might leave something to be desired, too...

I'd buy a newer VCR and deep six the cable box, especially if you
are not using it to unscramble premium channels... I only use my
box to unscramble; it is switched out otherwise.

How old is that VCR? Many older models were cable ready but
came pre-tuned to just 2-13 (with the little tuning knobs for each channel -
what a headache!)

                  Dan Quella, vfg2@PQE1.phx.mcd.mot.com
International Feel / Interplanetary Deal / Interstellar Appeal / Universal Ideal

rshapiro@arris.com (Richard Shapiro) (08/21/90)

In article <NEERAJ.GNUS17@axon.siemens.com> neeraj@learning.siemens.com writes:
>1. Are there any programmable cable boxes available? If these boxes have a
>clock and can be programmed to send different channels at different times my
>problem is solved. How much do they cost?

Yes, there are programmable cable boxes. The local (Cambridge MA)
cable company uses a box that has six timers. The date/time are
apparently downloaded rather than being kept locally - a minor
problem, since the company clock is sometimes a little off.  Still,
it's a very handy bit of functionality. Lobby your cable company to
start using them. I think the box is made by General Instruments, but
I'll have to double-check that.

rshapiro@arris.com (Richard Shapiro) (08/22/90)

In article <1990Aug21.153405.4987@arris.com> I wrote:
>In article <NEERAJ.GNUS17@axon.siemens.com> neeraj@learning.siemens.com writes:
>>1. Are there any programmable cable boxes available? If these boxes have a
>>clock and can be programmed to send different channels at different times my
>>problem is solved.
>
>Yes, there are programmable cable boxes. The local (Cambridge MA)
>cable company uses a box that has six timers....
>.... I think the box is made by General Instruments

Actually it's a Jerrold STARCOM VI box. The remote control, which is
necessary for setting the timers, is a Jerrold SRC II, but it also
says General Instruments on it....

mfolivo@sactoh0.SAC.CA.US (Mark Newton-John) (08/23/90)

No, it is not possible to record another channel, if everything is
sent through the cable box. In other words, if you want to record
on another channel, you have to change the channel on the box.

There is one alternative, and this is about the only alternative,
short of buying a new VCR, and buying an illegal decoder.

Get the Memorex CP-6 or CP-8, or the Radio Shack clones. They have
a built in timer that would allow you to set the remote to change
the channel on the cable box at the appropriate time. The macro
capability of the remote is excellent.

However, if you box does not have remote capability, then you are
S.O.L. That is there is nothing you can do.

Ja ne da-cha

--
(ames att sun)!pacbell! \      Sakura-mendo, CA
           ucdavis!csusac! - sactoh0!mfolivo

brown@vidiot.UUCP (Vidiot) (08/24/90)

In article <NEERAJ.GNUS17@axon.siemens.com> neeraj@learning.siemens.com writes:
<
<
<THE PROBLEM: The only TV signal that I get at my home is through a cable
<connection. The setup is the following:
<
<
<	Cable input ---> Cable box ---> VCR --->  TV.
<
<MY QUESTION IS THAT CAN I RECORD PROGRAMS FROM TWO DIFFERENT CABLE CHANNELS ON TWO
<DIFFERENT TIMES WITHOUT TOUCHING TO THE CABLE BOX IN BETWEEN.

NO!!!!

<My VCR (Panasonic VHS PV-4800), to the best of my knowledge, is NOT "cable
<ready" so I can not get rid of the cable box.

Are you sure?  Have you read the manual?  It will inform you what channels
it can receive.

<1. Are there any programmable cable boxes available? If these boxes have a
<clock and can be programmed to send different channels at different times my
<problem is solved. How much do they cost?

If you also get pay channels, you cannot get a different box.  If you don't
get any pay channels, then you can find boxes out there.

But, if your cable system also scrambles non-pay channels, then you are still
stuck with their box.

<2. Can I buy some gadget that will convert a "non-cable ready" TV/VCR into a
<"cable ready" TV/VCR? If so I can get rid of my cable box completely.

There used to be VHF to UHF converters that took the 36 cable channels and
shifted them up to UHF.  This allows you to receive non-scrambled channels
on the UHF channels.  Worked pretty good too.

But, like I mentioned above, if other channels are also scrambled, you are
SOL.

My cable company, TCI Cablevision, is working toward addressable taps, or
some kind of system that will allow them to pass into the dwelling, all the
channels that the customer has ordered, without having to have a box.  This
will allow the customers cable ready stuff to work just fine.  Each of the
houses are being equipped with an interface box.  This box, will in the
future, contain this new equipment.  There is a little door that the user
opens and connects to.  A great, user-friendly, idea.

But, you really need to find out if 1) your existing VCR will handle cable
channels (read the manual) and 2) if the non-pay channels on the cable system
are scrambled or not.
--
      harvard\     att!nicmad\        spool.cs.wisc.edu!astroatc!vidiot!brown
Vidiot  ucbvax!uwvax..........!astroatc!vidiot!brown