[rec.video] Television turning itself off

gedwards@ncratl.Atlanta.NCR.COM (Gordon Edwards) (09/13/90)

I have a Sony TV that has a really bad habit of turning off at
random times while your watching it.  Sometimes it will stay on
for a half hour or an hour but other times it will only stay on
for about a minute.  I tried using a surge protector but that
didn't help.

Anyone have suggestions as to why it may be doing this?

Thanks

--
Internet: Gordon.Edwards@Atlanta.NCR.COM                  NCR Corporation
UUCP: uunet!ncrlnk!ncratl!gedwards                        2651 Satellite Blvd.

reddy@mips.COM (T.S. Reddy) (09/13/90)

In article <595@ncratl.Atlanta.NCR.COM> gedwards@ncratl.Atlanta.NCR.COM (Gordon Edwards) writes:
>I have a Sony TV that has a really bad habit of turning off at
>random times while your watching it.  Sometimes it will stay on
>for a half hour or an hour but other times it will only stay on
>for about a minute.  I tried using a surge protector but that
>didn't help.
>
>Anyone have suggestions as to why it may be doing this?
>
>Thanks
>
>--
>Internet: Gordon.Edwards@Atlanta.NCR.COM                  NCR Corporation

     I had the same problem with my KV27XBR10 (I had posted it to this
newsgroup a few months ago). The problem was traced to a faulty relay
on the power supply board. The Sony serviceman replaced it and my
set's been working fine since.
--
T.S.Reddy
e-mail: reddy@mips.com

rainer@boulder.Colorado.EDU (Rainer Malzbender) (09/14/90)

In article <595@ncratl.Atlanta.NCR.COM> gedwards@ncratl.Atlanta.NCR.COM (Gordon Edwards) writes:
>I have a Sony TV that has a really bad habit of turning off at
>random times while your watching it.  Sometimes it will stay on
>for a half hour or an hour but other times it will only stay on
>for about a minute.  I tried using a surge protector but that
>didn't help.
> ... (plea for help deleted and ignored)

Hey, consider it a blessing. A few years ago my TV went on the fritz and
I didn't bother to fix it. Haven't gotten as much reading and other stuff
done before or since. Now I gotta watch Twin Peaks, though.
--
Rainer Malzbender           "Having a deep aversion to useless complication,
Dept. of Physics             God naturally chose the antisymmetric tensor

romeo@argus.Tymnet.COM (Michael Stimac) (09/14/90)

In article <595@ncratl.Atlanta.NCR.COM> gedwards@ncratl.Atlanta.NCR.COM (Gordon Edwards) writes:
>I have a Sony TV that has a really bad habit of turning off at
>random times while your watching it.  Sometimes it will stay on
>for a half hour or an hour but other times it will only stay on
>for about a minute.  I tried using a surge protector but that
>didn't help.

Our Sony TV has exactly the same symptons.

?????

michael stimac

os9john@gkcl.ists.ca (John Beveridge) (09/14/90)

I'd rather suspect something in the power supply is getting a tad too
warm and shutting itself down. (Don't some regulator chips have
tempurature protection circuits?)  Or, there just might be a "cold"
solder joint somewhere.

Undoubtedly, some techno-wizard will supply the correct answer, and
soon.

.....jb

  I claim full responsibilty | What goes around, comes around.
                            -*-
      - os9john@gkcl.ists.ca - ists!gkcl.ists.ca!os9john -

robin@uhccux.uhcc.Hawaii.Edu (Robin Amano) (09/14/90)

In article <3802@tymix.UUCP> romeo@argus.Tymnet.COM (Michael Stimac) writes:
>In article <595@ncratl.Atlanta.NCR.COM> gedwards@ncratl.Atlanta.NCR.COM (Gordon Edwards) writes:
>>I have a Sony TV that has a really bad habit of turning off at
>>random times while your watching it.  Sometimes it will stay on
>>for a half hour or an hour but other times it will only stay on
>
>Our Sony TV has exactly the same symptons.
>michael stimac

Maybe someone opened a beer can near by!  Sorry couldn't resist.

Does your TV have a sleep switch?  Sometimes I hit mine by accident, one hour
later zap it turns off.  I'm not saying you're hitting it by accident but maybe
your remote control is faulty and setting it off or maybe the sleep circuitry
is faulty.  My Sony has a sleep light on the front to say that it is on.  But,
something could be wrong with that too.  Ask Sony they are usually good at
selling schematics or giving tips.

john@qip.UUCP (John Moore) (09/14/90)

In article <3802@tymix.UUCP> romeo@argus.Tymnet.COM (Michael Stimac) writes:
]In article <595@ncratl.Atlanta.NCR.COM> gedwards@ncratl.Atlanta.NCR.COM (Gordon Edwards) writes:
]>I have a Sony TV that has a really bad habit of turning off at
]>random times while your watching it.  Sometimes it will stay on
]>for a half hour or an hour but other times it will only stay on
]>for about a minute.  I tried using a surge protector but that
]>didn't help.
If it has a remote control, the following story may be of some help.

I used to get cable (back when I lived in town) and had a remove control
cable box. It would occasionally change channels on its own. Replacing
a defective flourescent light in the room cured the problem.

If you know where the remote sensor is, try covering it with something
for a while and see if it is still stopping.
--
John Moore HAM:NJ7E/CAP:T-Bird 381 {ames!ncar!noao!asuvax,mcdphx}!anasaz!john
USnail: 7525 Clearwater Pkwy, Scottsdale,AZ 85253 anasaz!john@asuvax.eas.asu.edu

michael@fe2o3.UUCP (Michael Katzmann) (09/15/90)

In article <595@ncratl.Atlanta.NCR.COM> gedwards@ncratl.Atlanta.NCR.COM (Gordon Edwards) writes:
   >I have a Sony TV that has a really bad habit of turning off at
   >random times while your watching it.

Could be a power supply problem related to the flyback - switchmode.
Try powering the logic stuff of a separtate supply for a while and
see what happens.

Perhaps you should get one of those TV sets that fix themselves.....

	a  "christian science monitor"

email to
UUCP:       uunet!mimsy!{arinc,fe2o3}!vk2bea!michael
 	Amateur	|    VK2BEA	(Australia)      ' ) ) )      /           //
 	Radio	|    G4NYV	(United Kingdom)  / / / o _. /_  __.  _  //
	Stations|    NV3Z	(United States)	 / ' (_<_(__/ /_(_/|_</_</_

Michael Katzmann
Broadcast Sports Technology.
2135 Espey Ct. #4
Crofton Md. 21114 USA