[rec.video] Computer and monitor for 220V/50Hz

ashwin@gatech.edu (Ashwin Ram) (11/27/90)

I'm looking for a personal computer (preferably IBM PC, PC clone, or
Macintosh) and a corresponding monitor which I will be able to use both here
in the US (110V voltage, 60Hz line frequency, NTSC video format) as well as
in India (220V voltage, 50Hz line frequency, PAL video format (same as
Europe)).  I can buy a 220V->110V step down transformer if necessary, but of
course that will not convert the line frequency.

I saw a PC clone for sale which claimed to be "110/220V switchable" (no
mention of line frequency), which the saleman claimed would work fine.  Since
the video card is part of the machine, maybe that would also work.  However,
the salesman was less certain about the different video format and did not
know whether the Goldstar monitor that came with this machine would work with
the different supply (although the computer was switchable, the monitor did
not say it was).  I have not seen any Macintoshes with switchable 110/220V
inputs.

Does anyone know for certain whether these machines would work with a
220V/50Hz supply?  If so, what should I look out for to make sure I get a
configuration that will work?  Will the computer and monitor both work?

If not, can I buy the computer here and then hook up an Indian (or European)
monitor when I get to India?  Will I need a different video card?  Can I hook
it up to a TV set?  What other options do I have?

Any and all advice appreciated, especially from people who have successfully
(or unsuccessfully) tried this themselves.  Please e-mail me directly if you
can, although I will watch the net for replies as well.

Thanks a lot,

Ashwin Ram <ashwin@cc.gatech.edu>
College of Computing, Georgia Institute of Technology
Atlanta, Georgia 30332-0280

bosch@cs.utwente.nl (J. Christian A. Peper) (11/27/90)

Someone asked a question about switchable PCs/Macs.
Well, I bought one 2 yrs ago while I lived in the US and now I am back in
Holland, and it works great.

What you have to make sure of is to look for a switch on the back (mostly)
of the casing. It should be near the power connection, and should let you
switch between 120/240V. It is a small switch (?) and simply slides from
left to right and vice versa. Some computers also have self-switching
powersupplies, but these will probably out of your budget anyway. You also
might want to check inside the computer, and see what is says on the
powersupply. On mine it says "switchable", which means that YOU (!) have to
set the switch.

About the monitor, this is alittle harder. I looked thru the manuals that
came with it and it said that it needs to be done by "an expert" (I forgot
how they said that...:-) But I couldn't wait for one, so I said 3
hail-mary's and took a screwdriver. Inside there was, on the side, and
printout (you know the EE stuff with gates and diodes etc) and somewhere on
there there was a little jumper that one could set. I set it in the 240V
position, closed it up, prayed to god and turned it on....it worked.
BUT.....You have to make sure, when you buy the monitor, to ask them if it
can be used on 120/240V. (By the way, I had to put know plugs on the power
cords as well...)

 Anyway, you got to remember 2 things:

	- powersupply either switchable or self-switching (locate switch)
	- monitor switchable and read manual. Then open up...

Hope this helps. My system works fine, although the monitor makes a sound
whehn it "fires up". It didn't used to make that sound, but I assume it is
because of the new voltage...

Chris.
--
Christian Peper			| The speed of light...If not instantaneous,
bosch@utis15.cs.utwente.nl	| it is incredibly fast! - Gallileo

hp48sx@wuarchive.wustl.edu (HP48SX Archive Maintainer) (11/28/90)

I recently posted a querry for color cards for the SE/30, but as I got
very few responses I just try once more.

So if you use a colorcard on a SE/30 please tell me about your
experiences. I would also like the prices if available. This time I
would like to get mail from people using bundled card/monitor packages
as well. Also I would like to know if there is a 110V/220V switch on the
back of the monitor that your graphics card was bundled with.

Thanx in advance,

Povl H. Pedersen             hp48sx@wuarchive.wustl.edu
HP48sx archive maintainer

In article <499@mephisto.edu> ashwin@cc.gatech.edu (Ashwin Ram) writes:
>I'm looking for a personal computer (preferably IBM PC, PC clone, or
>Macintosh) and a corresponding monitor which I will be able to use both here
>in the US (110V voltage, 60Hz line frequency, NTSC video format) as well as
>in India (220V voltage, 50Hz line frequency, PAL video format (same as
>Europe)).  I can buy a 220V->110V step down transformer if necessary, but of
>course that will not convert the line frequency.

The Mac SE will work, as will the Mac II, IIci, IIcx, and IIfx (with
corresponding monitors-- The 13" high-res RGB, at least, takes 50-60Hz,
110-220V).  The video format is irrelevant-- as long as you aren't trying
to recieve TV pictures on your monitor, or use the machine for video
production.

phil@hansen.Berkeley.EDU (Phil Graham) (11/30/90)

|> In article <499@mephisto.edu> ashwin@cc.gatech.edu (Ashwin Ram) writes:
|> >I'm looking for a personal computer (preferably IBM PC, PC clone, or
|> >Macintosh) and a corresponding monitor which I will be able to use
both here
|> >in the US (110V voltage, 60Hz line frequency, NTSC video format) as well as
|> >in India (220V voltage, 50Hz line frequency, PAL video format (same as
|> >Europe)).  I can buy a 220V->110V step down transformer if
necessary, but of
|> >course that will not convert the line frequency.

All of the new IBM computers will work with either 110V 60Hz or 220V
50Hz power (or any combination of the above).

As for PC clones... It varies by each company.  If it has a switch on
the back then it is easy.... Just switch it to the correct voltage (it
will automatically work with 50Hz or 60Hz)  I know some comptuers and
monitor do not have an external switch but use a jumper in the PS to
switch to the correct voltage.

Make sure that any computer you consider has all of the proper agency approvals
(FCC level 'B' for the US, VDE level 'B' for Germany and most of
Europe).  If you don't it may be illegal for you to transport the
computer into the country that you are going...

Phil