[rec.video] Coax Surge Suppressors

scott@blueeyes.kines.uiuc.edu (scott) (12/11/90)

Is there such a thing as a surge suppressor for cable TV, similar to those
available for both household AC and telephone lines? Are they worthwhile?
Are there other/better ways to protect expensive TVs and VCRs from voltage
spikes which might come along the cable line? Finally, who sells these sorts
of things?

Thanks.

--
Scott Coleman                                                      tmkk@uiuc.edu
"Quoth the Raven: 'Eat My Shorts!'"  - Raven Bart, Simpsons' Halloween Special

lindh@uhasun.hartford.edu (Andrew Lindh) (12/12/90)

In article <1990Dec10.212621.10656@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu>, scott@blueeyes.kines.uiuc.edu (scott) writes:
> Is there such a thing as a surge suppressor for cable TV, similar to those
> available for both household AC and telephone lines? Are they worthwhile?
Yes you can buy them. Any thing you can do to help protect you equipment
is worthwhile. BUT....I had a problem with the ones I tried. They leaked
LARGE abounts of RF power. Loss was not the problem, Local TV stations
leaked into the cable and messed up several stations on the cable.
The one for the phone line did not help me....I still had a phone
exploed all over the room, maby it did help other times...who knows?

> Are there other/better ways to protect expensive TVs and VCRs from voltage
> spikes which might come along the cable line? Finally, who sells these sorts
> of things?
Radio Shack has some for sale. I don't know how good they are.

I have only had one problem with cable spikes in the last 10 or so years.
I have had much more problems with AC line spikes and noise. I have installed
a CV Transformer and several noise and spike filters, as well as a
1Kw FC UPS. I have had no problems since.....It is great fun to be
watching a movie buring a blackout!

--
Andrew Lindh, a student at the University of Hartford -- Computer Science
INTERNET: lindh@uhasun.hartford.edu | NOTE: All views here are MINE!!!