[rec.video] computer controllable vcr?

hugh@dciem.dciem.dnd.ca (Hugh D. Gamble) (12/12/90)

In article <2117@shodha.enet.dec.com> kaye@FSCORE.dec.com (Mark Kaye - Where's my Kama Sutra pop-up book for Zero-G) writes:
>I saw a VCR in a multimedia demo at the Commodore Show in Toronto. It had
>an EIA port & was controlled via an Amiga. I think it was a Panasonic, but
>Technics comes to mind also. It is not available to the general public yet,
>and may not even be a consumer-type VCR.

There were quite a few VCRs at the Toronto World of Commodore Amiga show.
Most of them were being shown for video editing, connected to NewTek
Video Toasters, etc.

What I think you are talking about though, is what NTT Systems Inc.
(and myself in particular) were demoing in the Commodore booth.

We were showing how an NEC PC-VCR could be used with AmigaVision and
a little custom s/w and AREXX interfacing we put together, for
interactive multimedia training applications.  We were using the
PC-VCR much like you would use a LaserDisc.  Unlike LaserDisc though,
you can record your own material without the time and expense of
LaserDisc mastering.

>Also, a company in Mass. modifies decks to get access to the control tracks
>and supplies software for the Amiga to use these decks in an editing-suite
>application (Mediaphile i think, check out AmigaWord)

The company is Interactive Microsystems.  They sell a whole slew of h/w
and s/w for controlling VTRs.

>Mark Kaye		|		|				|
>Box 72, Munster Hamlet	| 613-838-3580  | kaye@fscore.dec.com		|
>Ontario, Canada K0A 3P0	|		| DEC fscore::kaye or kaye @kao	|

# Hugh D. Gamble, NTT Systems Inc. (at DCIEM (416) 635-2156) Std. Disclaimers #
# hugh@dretor.dciem.dnd.ca, hugh@kink.UUCP                                    #
# ** Neural net; holds your mind hour after hour. **                          #