[rec.video] Help with Video signal conversion and distribution

curtiss@umiacs.umd.edu (Phil J. Curtiss) (12/31/90)

	I need some help with converting RGB (sync signal on G) video output
from some frame buffers to some composite (NTSC most likely) signal and then
distributing the composite signal to various locations on our building.  Our
building is such that the composite video signal will need to run from the
distribution box through coax cables to its destinations.

	If anyone knows of any companies that sell converters and/or
distribution boxes (amps, etc) for video signals I would appreciate knowing
about these companies (phone number and contact person would be wonderful).
Also, if anyone out there has been through a similar project (I suspect some
of you media people have ;-), I would appreciate hearing your comments,
warnings and any advice you would be willing to share.

Thank you all in advance.
--
Domain: curtiss@umiacs.umd.edu		     Phillip Curtiss
  UUCP:	uunet!mimsy!curtiss		UMIACS - Univ. of Maryland

sheasby@dgp.toronto.edu (Michael C. Sheasby) (12/31/90)

curtiss@umiacs.umd.edu (Phil J. Curtiss) writes:

>	If anyone knows of any companies that sell converters and/or
>distribution boxes (amps, etc) for video signals I would appreciate knowing
>about these companies (phone number and contact person would be wonderful).
>Also, if anyone out there has been through a similar project (I suspect some
>of you media people have ;-), I would appreciate hearing your comments,
>warnings and any advice you would be willing to share.

Here at the University of Toronto we've got a computer-controlled video
network which offers bidirectional audio and video communication between
a set of geographically disparate nodes (each using a camera and monitor,
with a Mac controlling the central switch via ethernet)

the switches that we've settled on are the Akai DP2000 and DP3200. the
2000 gives 16x16 video and audio control, and the 3200 gives 32x32 audio
only control. We're using a sun to control the switches, communicating
through a Mac speaking midi (at a hacked speed) to the switches.

the switches are excellent; there is some image degradation but for
live video applications we haven't had any noticeable problems. If
you need sync while switching between sources, you'll need a TBC for
each one of your final nodes (if you can handle a slight jitter whenever
you switch sources, then I'm sure this won't be necessary; we make do
just fine without)

You can get a dedicated controller if you don't need the ability to
control the switch remotely. We put a lot of effort into making the
switch controllable via our Macs and Suns.

I'd recommend these switches for your application. if you need more
than a 16x16 switch, you might want to try and track down a paper
that Bill Buxton wrote for EuroPARC a few years back on multi-switch
configurations. If memory serves, he illustrates a way to get a 72x72
switch with 13 16x16 switches, with very few 'busy' lines.

Let me know if you have any other questions... video networks are fun stuff.

---Mike.

sheasby@dgp.toronto.edu
(416) 967-7223