[rec.video] VCRs working with Amigas?

bwdavies@rodan.acs.syr.edu (01/01/91)

--------
I was playing with an Amiga 3000 in a local store last week, and in the
A3000 demo there is a picture of a VCR in use as a video source for the
Amiga/AmigaVision.  This was alongside cameras, videodisc players, and
scanners.

This machine did have a videodisc player hooked up with a control cable
going from the Amiga (serial port, I think), and video input through a
genlock card.

The question is: are there VCRs that work with the Amiga in a similar way?
(The graphic image of the VCR distinctly said "SONY" on it, and had a
jog-shuttle dial on one side.)

I'm looking into VCRs and TVs, and this would be a handy thing to know.

Thanks,

Sam Hill Cabal				"If there's anything insidious going
bwdavies@sunrise.bitnet			 on in the world, the media is behind
bwdavies@rodan.acs.syr.edu		 it!"	-T.J. Teru

jet@karazm.math.uh.edu ("J. Eric Townsend") (01/02/91)

In article <1991Jan1.042528.2441@rodan.acs.syr.edu> bwdavies@rodan.acs.syr.edu writes:
>The question is: are there VCRs that work with the Amiga in a similar way
>[that a laserdisk on a serial port does]?

There's a big difference beteen using a laserdisk and using a videotape
as source input.  You *can* use a VCR for input (and genlock over it),
but the amount of control (and granularity) you have over the tape deck
depends on how much money you want to spend.  I've seen devices that simply
use remote control commands to control the tape, and there are also high-end
decks that work with edit controllers to achieve more "profesisonal" results.

--
J. Eric Townsend     Internet: jet@uh.edu    Bitnet: jet@UHOU
Systems Mangler - UH Dept. of Mathematics - (713) 749-2120