[rec.video] SONY CCD-V5000

multics@acm.rpi.edu (Richard Shetron) (05/05/91)

These are just a few initial comments on the SONY CCD-V5000 camcorder.
I can't find it now, but I believe the ccd imager has 380,000 elements..
The lux rating is 2 to 100,000 with 100 to 100,000 recommended.

I've only used the SONY E Metal HI8 tape and the results in good light
have been very good and even low light has been better then expected.
It has both the RCA inputs and outputs and the S-Video ports.
I just did a quick test with teh LD reference recording with the following
setup:
S-video to v5000, rca to SLHF-1000, and rf from slhf-1000 to TV (25 ft).

The LD player is the Panasonic LX-1000.

The multiburst test results were good.
The first 4 bursts .5 Mhz to 3Mhz are very clear., the fifth at 3.58 Mhz
is fuzzy, instead of the clear black and white lines they are white and
grey.  The 6th at 4.18Mhz can be found, but its murky light and dark
grey and just notibly different from the inter burst grey.
This was done from a quick jury rig of equipment and if I had taken the
hour or so needed to guarentee the best hookup I would expect better
results.

This camcorder is not a small unit, it weighs 6 lbs 10oz (according to
the manual)  Size wise its 7.5 x 9.375 x 17 (Its larger then many of the
pportable computers I've seen).

The biggest problem seems to be the standard hunting auto focus.
With autofocus on the batteries last about half the normal time.
It comes with a SONY NP-77H (2 hour battery) and several other accesories
including the batter cahrger and a cleaning tape.

Please feel free to email me with any questions.  I'll answer best I can.

--
A good bureaucracy is the best tool of oppression ever invented.
Richard Shetron   USERFXLG@mts.rpi.edu  multics@rpi.edu

phil@brahms.amd.com (Phil Ngai) (05/05/91)

The V5000 has a two hour battery? I find that hard to believe.
20 minutes, perhaps.

--

In article <1991May5.064617.20636@amd.com> phil@brahms.amd.com (Phil Ngai) writes:
>The V5000 has a two hour battery? I find that hard to believe.
>20 minutes, perhaps.

I've run the V5000 for at least an hour on the np-77H battery that comes
with it.  Its supposedly a 2 hour battery and battery life depends a lot
on which features you have turned on.  I normally run with digital effects
off unless I'm on the charger/power supply.  I also turn off the auto focus
and some of the other auto stuff to reduce the power consumed by the
auto-focus hunting.
I also bought an ambico 1.5 hour battery.  With only the
digital effects off and the autofocus/autolock on the 1.5 hour battery died
41 minutes into taping after its first charge.  The sony 2 hour battery
lasted at least an hour (I finished taping in about 65 minutes so I don't
know how long it might have lasted.  I also turned of the auto focus/lock
stuff when not needed, perhaps about 50% of the time).
I have purchased a second SONY NP-77H battery as it does consume batteries
quicker then other camcorders and I prefer to have charged an extra battery
then to run out of battery power before I'm finished.

--
A good bureaucracy is the best tool of oppression ever invented.
Richard Shetron   USERFXLG@mts.rpi.edu  multics@rpi.edu

hope@huracan.cr (Theodore Hope) (05/27/91)

Is there an external battery pack for the V5000?  The fact that the clip-on
battery lasts such a short time is a problem, and I'd like to know if there
is a larger battery or set of batteries (possibly worn like a belt) for
longer filming sessions on the run.

Thanks.

 -Theodore Hope
  CSUCA / PNUD