[net.news.group] New group: mod.comp-society

dat@hpcnof.UUCP (10/27/85)

	Hi!  I've recently started a mailing list called "Computers and
Society" and had much more of an enthusiastic turnout than I expected!!
(over 150 subscribers in the first two weeks!!)

	To avoid my being executed for monopolizing the communications
lines here in Fort Collins, I'd like to propose that I gateway the
digests into a NEW notes group called

	mod.comp-society
	mod.cas
	mod.comp-soc
	mod.c-and-society

	(or something else - vote on your favorite!)

Anyway, if we decide to do this (and perhaps even if not) the machine
that I'm posting on, hpcnof (Hewlett Packard, Colorado Networks Operation)
will be soon connecting directly to gatech (thanks to Gene Spaffords
generous offer!) so that the propagation times should be about 2 to 3
days from my original posting to being "out in the real world".

	(Why mention that?  Because currently the propagation delay to
get notes out of HP is terrible - at least 7 days - and that would be
too much of a time delay for the digest.)

	What I'd like to hear is what people think of YANG (Yet Another
News Group), and, if you like it, suggestions on a decent name.

		Thanks!

					--- Dave Taylor
					hplabs!hpcnou!dat

csg@pyramid.UUCP (Carl S. Gutekunst) (10/31/85)

In article <53200002@hpcnof.UUCP> dat@hpcnof.UUCP writes:
>I'd like to propose that I gateway the digests into a NEW notes group called
>
>	mod.comp-society
>	mod.cas
>	mod.comp-soc
>	mod.c-and-society
>
>	(or something else - vote on your favorite!)

Does the content of the computers & society mailing list differ significantly
from the existing ARPA-gatewayed group fa.risks? Can or should these lists be
merged or cross-gatewayed?
--
      -m-------   Pyramid Technology       Carl S. Gutekunst, Software R&D
    ---mmm-----   1295 Charleston Rd         {cmcl2,topaz}!pyrnj!

klick@ihuxa.UUCP (Vickie Klick) (11/05/85)

promises to continue to be an interesting digest.  I vote
for the creation of mod.comp-soc.
	Vickie Klick AT&T Bell Laboratories, Naperville, IL
	...ihnp4!ihuxa!klick

eduardo@dartvax.UUCP (Eduardo Hernandez) (11/05/85)

In article <55@pyramid.UUCP> csg@pyramid.UUCP (Carl S. Gutekunst) writes:
>In article <53200002@hpcnof.UUCP> dat@hpcnof.UUCP writes:
>>I'd like to propose that I gateway the digests into a NEW notes group called
>>
>>	mod.comp-society
>>	mod.cas
>>	mod.comp-soc
>>	mod.c-and-society
>>
>>	(or something else - vote on your favorite!)
>
>Does the content of the computers & society mailing list differ significantly
>from the existing ARPA-gatewayed group fa.risks? Can or should these lists be
>merged or cross-gatewayed?

I also would like to see a NEW group created from the current mailing list.
Or, if its easier, have the digest relayed to fa.risks.
Any means of allowing other USENET readers access to the digest would be very
much appreciated.

6243tes@whuts.UUCP (STERKEL) (11/06/85)

The computers and society mailing list has apparently
overwhelmed its host in less than one month of existance.
I believe that this unusual success clearly qualifies
it under the rules for "demonstrated interest".
In addition, the signal to noise ratio is at least
4 : 1!!!

this is a YES vote for mod.comp-society

ins_akaa@jhunix.UUCP (Kenneth Adam Arromdee) (11/08/85)

I support the creation of this group too.
If you know the alphabet up to 'k', you can teach it up to 'k'.

Kenneth Arromdee
BITNET: G46I4701 at JHUVM and INS_AKAA at JHUVMS
CSNET: ins_akaa@jhunix.CSNET
ARPA: ins_akaa%jhunix@hopkins.ARPA
UUCP: ...{decvax,ihnp4,allegra}!seismo!umcp-cs!aplvax!aplcen!jhunix!ins_akaa