[tor.news] map of Toronto netnews distribution?

dave@lsuc.UUCP (01/08/87)

Would anyone care to pull all of the #U lines out of
mod.map's u.can.on.1 file and contruct a visual map that
shows the news paths within Toronto? I've lost track of
what the major sites are. I wonder whether we might also
consider introducing some in-Toronto redundancy by picking
two far-apart nodes in this map and have them exchange
some newsgroups.

(A number of sites already exchange tor.* and ont.* with UUCP
neighbours who aren't news neighbours, by the way.)

David Sherman
--
{ ihnp4!utzoo  seismo!mnetor  utai  watmath  decvax!utcsri  } !lsuc!dave

don@clunk.UUCP (Don McKillican) (01/10/87)

In article <1497@lsuc.UUCP>, dave@lsuc.UUCP (David Sherman) writes:
> Would anyone care to pull all of the #U lines out of
> mod.map's u.can.on.1 file and contruct a visual map that
> shows the news paths within Toronto?

I wouldn't know how to isolate the news paths, but here is a first attempt
at a map of Toronto's uucp connections in general.

I should explain a few things.  The first difficulty encountered by your
would-be map-maker-of-toronto is that everybody and their Apple ][ has
connections to one (and usually more) of {utai,utcs,utcsri,utzoo}.  I saw
so many machines with connections to both utcs and utzoo that I am beginning
to suspect they are really the same machine :-).  Anyway, rather than try to
put these machines in the middle of a spider-web of lines, I decided to
indicate with the machine name which of these four U of T sites they
connect to.  So "ms(a)" means that machine "ms" has a connection to utai,
in addition to any other lines you see on the map.  And "lsuc(crz)" means
that lsuc has connections to utcs, utcsri and utzoo, respectively.  Thus
if you see no easy connection between lsuc and "darwin(cz)", you can also
connect via lsuc!utcs!darwin.  And I believe you should be able to get from
any of the four U of T sites to any other of the four, so you can get from
lsuc to ms via lsuc!utcs!utai!ms.  The connections involving these four U of T
sites are summarized at the bottom.

Secondly, since this map is quite likely going to be used by people (like
me) trying to figure out how to get mail from mysite to yoursite, I have
tried to include only "good" paths.  A "good" path is basically either
HOURLY or better, or the only path there is, for machines with very few
connections.  I have also left out what looked to me to be "internal"
machines like hcrvx1, and represented the site only by its "external"
node hcr.  I don't personally think that internal machines should have
map entries in u.can.on.1 in the first place, but that's another issue.
I have also left off all the internal U of T sites, just because I haven't
figured out how to make a map for them yet.  I am still trying, and I'll
post it as a supplement when I figure it out.  Sorry folks.

Thirdly (this will be a shock), there are Errors in this map.  I'm sure
I don't have the most recent u.can.on.1, I'm sure that the most recent
u.can.on.1 has errors too, and I'm extremely sure that I wouldn't get
the whole map right the first time even if my u.can.on.1 was perfect :-).
(I even painted myself into a corner with my own machine: clunk has a good
connection to lsuc (as of a week ago), and I couldn't find a way to get it
on the map.  sniff)  But I would be more than happy to accept corrections
to this map and maintain it: this was FUN!  So look at your part of the
map and tell me where I goofed.  Maybe in the process we can even lick
u.can.on.1 into shape :-).

Okay, 'nuff said.  Presenting....

                         The Usenet Map of Toronto
		         =========================

(legend: a-utai, c-utcs, r-utcsri, z-utzoo. Capitals indicate out-of-city sites)

                                     GANDALF
                                        |     rhodnius(cz)
                                        |         |
     ms(a)     sq(cs)----parkridge---hcr(cz)---dciem(rz)-----------NRCAER
       |      /  |   \                        /   |\                 /
       |     /   |    \                omnitor    | \               /
   darwin(cz)--chp(z)--trigraph(crz)      |       |  per---zorac   /
     msitxt    ontmoh       ryesone(crz)------lsuc(crz)----------
                 |              |                 |    \
        jdpsys   |   ---geac  tmsoft  logics(c)   |     radha
              \  |  /       \                \    |     /
       mmainc--lethe---------yetti(cz)--------mnetor(cz)------------SEISMO
              /  |  \       /   |     \      /    |     \
      eclectic  dmh  tsdc  /    |      toram(z)   |      syntron(cz)
                          /     |         |       |
                         /   utrc-2at   cmq1---genat(c)---clunk---bcosi
              methods    |           \        /   |         |
                     \   |             braegen    |         |
                      \  |                        |         |
                       MACCS----------------------+     forgene(c)

   aesat(z)           romwa(c)           sickkids(cz)           suncan(z)

                         U of T Summary
LOCAL SITES:
   UTAI            UTCS            UTCSRI            UTZOO
   lsuc            darwin          dciem             aesat
   ms              logics          hcr               chp
                   lsuc            lsuc              darwin
                   mnetor          rhodnius          dciem
                   oscvax          ryesone           lsuc
                   romwa           trigraph          mnetor
                   ryesone         suncan            oscvax
                   sickkids                          parkridge
                   sq                                rhodnius
                   syntron                           ryesone
                   trigraph                          sickkids
                   yetti                             sq
                                                     syntron
                                                     toram
                                                     trigraph

REMOTE SITES:
   UTAI            UTCS            UTCSRI            UTZOO
   ucb-vision      bnr-vpa         deepthot          bnr-vpa
   watmath         cbosgd          mbcsd             deepthot
                                   mcgill-vision     ihnp4
                                   sask
                                   uw-beaver

dave@lsuc.UUCP (David Sherman) (01/11/87)

Hmm. Thanks, Don. I didn't even suggest anyone try doing
a UUCP map, because (1) pathalias can give routings and (2)
the map would be so complex. Your attempt is nice, but is
(just for example) missing lsuc's connections to parkridge,
hcr, nrcaer, toram, maccs and sickkids, all of which have been
in u.can.on.1 for a while. (We also have connections to sq, tmsoft
and clunk, but those are relatively new, plus mkv020 which isn't on
your map, and a few out of town sites.)

I think a UUCP map of Toronto is probably not doable in two dimensions.

The Usenet map would be simpler. Read the #U line for each site
from u.can.on.1, and that tells you who it exchanges newsgroups with
(not necessarily all netnews, but at least some). I would think sites
that exchange only "tor,ont" or whatever wouldn't list each other
as #U (I only list, for lsuc, sites with which we have a significant feed).

David Sherman
The Law Society of Upper Canada
--
{ ihnp4!utzoo  seismo!mnetor  utai  watmath  decvax!utcsri  } !lsuc!dave

rayan@ai.toronto.edu (01/12/87)

In article <104@clunk.UUCP> don@clunk.UUCP (Don McKillican) writes:
# I don't personally think that internal machines should have
# map entries in u.can.on.1 in the first place, but that's another issue.

The policy until now is that any host that might possibly send out mail
(and therefore may receive mail from far away places) may put a map entry
in u.can.on. Hopefully, when sites with internal hosts are able to either
do hostname hiding, or switch to domain-based addresses, map entries for
internal machines will go away. In a place the size of UofT, there will still
be various separate clusters of machines where is makes sense that each
cluster have an entry in the map; I have already started doing that with
various natural clusters within UofT. Other sites should feel free to copy
that model in their future map entries (see utecfa for a good example).

# I have also left off all the internal U of T sites, just because I haven't
# figured out how to make a map for them yet.  I am still trying, and I'll
# post it as a supplement when I figure it out.  Sorry folks.

Don't be sorry; we have a real hard time keeping track ourselves. See below
for an approximate model.

# Thirdly (this will be a shock), there are Errors in this map.  I'm sure
# I don't have the most recent u.can.on.1, I'm sure that the most recent
# u.can.on.1 has errors too, and I'm extremely sure that I wouldn't get
# the whole map right the first time even if my u.can.on.1 was perfect :-).

Speaking of which... I have started weekly postings to mod.map of the u.can.*
files (distribution: can) that have been changed since the last posting. This
is in response to confusion arising from out-of-date maps appearing in the
monthly mod.map posting. I'd really have preferred to just post diffs, but
that involves various logistical problems for the people who want to make use
of this info. I would also have liked to use another group (can.map ?) to
avoid mixing older maps from the monthly posting with newer maps from the
local weekly posting. Any preferences?

While I'm at it, the map entries for the following Toronto hosts are
more than 6 months out of date and possibly incorrect:

aesat:	#W	; Mon Mar 11 01:30:50 GMT 1985
braegen:#W	braegen!ken (Ken Marchant); Wed Mar 19 12:51:49 EST 1986
chpx:	#W	ian@darwin (Ian Darwin); Wed May 28 14:14:48 EDT 1986
hcradm:	#W	hcrvx1!mark (Mark Ashworth); Tue Dec 18 05:15:48 EST 1984
logics:	#W	logics!onn (Brian Onn); Thu May  1 21:34:47 EDT 1986
ms:	#W	ms!mts (Martin Stanley); Thu Sep 12 13:19:19 EDT 1985
omnitor:#W	omnitor!mherman (Michael Herman); Mon Dec  9 05:24:29 EST 1985
ontmoh:	#W	ian@darwin (Ian F. Darwin); Mon Mar 10 22:37:29 EST 1986
radha:	#W	radha!sanand (Sanand Patel); Fri Mar  7 10:03:34 EST 1986
rhodnius:#W	utcs!geoff (Geoff Collyer); Sat Jul 14 04:54:16 EST 1984
romwa:	#W	romwa!mark (Mark T. Dornfeld); Mon Jun 9 10:13:48 EDT 1986
ryesone:#W	ryesone!mason (Dave Mason);Sat Jan  4 00:23:51 EST 1986
sickkids:#W	cbosgd!ksh (paper form); Fri Jul 13 05:11:50 EST 1984
toram:	#W	toram!chris (Chris Robertson); Mon Dec 23 11:24:24 EST 1985
utcseri:#W	trigraph!bjf (Bruce Freeman); Tue Jan 15 04:55:57 GMT 1985
utfang:	#W	geoff@utcs (Geoff Collyer), Sat Jan 18 01:50:05 EST 1986
utflis:	#W	utai!path (Path Database); Tue Jan 14 04:53:40 EST 1986
utfyzx:	#W	utai!path (Path Database); Sat Sep 14 02:13:45 EDT 1985
utglg:	#W	utai!path (Path Database); Wed Dec 25 16:38:20 EST 1985
utjaws:	#W	geoff@utcs (Geoff Collyer); Sat Jan 18 01:50:05 EST 1986
utmolar:#W	geoff@utcs (Geoff Collyer); Sun Jan 19 07:11:45 EST 1986
utrim:	#W	utrim!ron (Ron Westerby); Thu Dec 19 19:00:00 EST 1985
utteeth:#W	geoff@utcs (Geoff Collyer); Sun Jan 19 07:11:45 EST 1986

The following hosts appear to be located in Toronto, but no information
on them exists (the second column lists the known links followed by a guess
at affiliation):

acgrph		mnetor				Acugraph Inc.
actel		dciem
array		dciem				Array Systems
bcosi		clunk, genat, mnetor		Bell Trinity Square
bml		spectrix, utecfa		Brown Manufacturing Ltd.
cmpscr		msitxt
cro		genat
eris		chp, sq
forgene		utcs
jdpsys		lethe
jupiter		sq
lsl		dciem
marcel		chp
megadata	utcsri				Megadata Inc.
mkv020		lsuc, utcs			AT&T ?
pedev		dciem				Philips?
pql		sq, chp
psddevl		dciem				Philips?
sandford	utcs
suncan		utcsri				Sun Canada
tsdc		lethe
uogvax2		elora				UofGuelph vax (is that T.O.?)
wild750		dciem
yup		chp, sq				York U. ?

Map entries for these hosts would be very welcome at utai!path.

Finally, UofT map:

                                                   utas2
        +------------------------------+             |
        |             utai,utcsri,utcs |---utzoo---utas1---uteuler
        |                              |     |       |       |
        |                utcs,utfraser |--utcsstat   |     utmars
        |   UofT LAN              utcs |---utglg     |
        |                     utfraser |-----------utas3
        |                         utcs |---utrim
        |                         utcs |---utfyzx
        |                       utcsri |---utornet  utmolar
        |                      utcsscb |---utscar      |
        +----+                  utecfb |---utvrg
        | sq |                  utecfb |---utpoole
        |    |                   utdgp |---utland

All the machines inside the big box are fully connected by virtue of being
on the local network. The connections going out on the right are hardwired
lines or phone connections to various hosts that can be considered part of
the UofT collection of machines. The hosts in the small box in the corner
are also directly reachable from all hosts in the big box, but are outside
UofT. The number of UNIX hosts in the big box hovers around 90 at the moment.

rayan