[tor.news] forwarding moderated group postings

John_M@spectrix.UUCP (John Macdonald) (07/20/87)

(This text is being sent as a mail message to a number of site
news/mail administrators, as well as being posted to tor.news.)

About twice a week for the last two months, we have been getting
messages sent to our system addressed to a moderated newsgroup
name.  They originate from a number of sites.  They all came to
us via ...!{utgpu,utzoo,yetti}!mnetor!spectrix!<modgroup>.

Clearly, one or more systems thinks that Spectrix is a backbone
with an up-to-date moderator list.

Judging from the common portion of the address, ...!mnetor!spectrix,
I would guess that there is a widespread belief that mnetor is a
backbone, while mnetor merely sends things to us.

I will add the moderators list to our mail aliases file within the
next few days here, so that these posting will be passed on, but I
cannot give any sort of guarantee that our moderators list will be
regularily maintained.  I would suggest that people in the Toronto
area (particularily on the systems that originate or pass any of the
messages below) check how moderated postings are sent from their
system, and how they are propagated through (this requires knowing
what they look like as they arrive from your neighbour - the first
analysis above).  For best results, you should probably have your
local postings turned into mail sent to either seismo or (watmath?
- one of the U of Waterloo machines anyhow).  These are the two
closest moderator-list-backbone systems.

The distinct paths we have received are:

The following is the heading of messages of this form (only one
from each different route).  I have the full text of all the
messages for the last month in case that would be of value to
anyone.  Our local mailer claimed to have returned each of these
messages to the originator, so the original host sites should have
been informed in each case; since they have continued for a while
and since they come from a variety of locations, I decided that I
should inform a larger audience.

============== Message follows =============
To: comp-unix
Date: Thu Jun 18 22:54:09 1987

Date: 19 Jun 87 02:54:07 GMT
To: comp-unix
Subject: Submission for comp-unix
Responding-System: spectrix.UUCP

From: rompub@gpu.utcs.toronto.edu (Mark Dornfeld)

============== Message follows =============
To: rec-music-gaffa
Date: Sun Jun 21 17:15:16 1987

Date: 21 Jun 87 21:15:13 GMT
To: rec-music-gaffa
Subject: Submission for rec-music-gaffa
Responding-System: spectrix.UUCP

From: chai@utflis.UUCP

============== Message follows =============
To: comp-society
Date: Fri Jul 17 14:20:31 1987

Date: 17 Jul 87 18:20:28 GMT
To: comp-society
Subject: Submission for comp-society
Responding-System: spectrix.UUCP

From: mmt@dciem.UUCP (Martin Taylor)

============== Message follows =============
To: comp-laser-printers
Date: Sat Jul 18 04:08:11 1987

Date: 18 Jul 87 08:08:09 GMT
To: comp-laser-printers
Subject: Submission for comp-laser-printers
Responding-System: spectrix.UUCP

From: henry@utzoo.UUCP (Henry Spencer)

============== Message follows =============
To: comp-sources-misc
Date: Sun Jul 19 17:15:42 1987

Date: 19 Jul 87 21:15:33 GMT
To: comp-sources-misc
Subject: Submission for comp-sources-misc
Responding-System: spectrix.UUCP

From: mike@yetti.UUCP (Mike Clarkson )
--
---------  .signature eater food ---------
John Macdonald   UUCP:    {mnetor,utzoo} !spectrix!jmm

dave@lsuc.UUCP (07/22/87)

Interesting. I wonder whether it's the result of some unexpected
interplay between B news and C news.

I get notified by internal mail of any error messages resulting
from unpacking of news, and about twice a week I get a message
about some posting (usually from mnetor) which we are forwarding
to watmath to send to the right moderator.  I assume it's from
all the pre-2.11 sites floating around, whic don't know about
moderated groups that don't begin with "mod.".

Seems to be that there's a mini unmoderated net within
Toronto, of all the sites that talk to each other but
don't run 2.11, and they freely exchange postings to
moerated groups, until finally it hits a 2.11 site like
ours which sends it off to the moderator. Yecch.
--
{ uunet!mnetor  pyramid!utai  decvax!utcsri  ihnp4!utzoo } !lsuc!dave