[tor.news] drought?

Seems to be a news drought in progress locally -- anybody have any idea
why?  There are so many redundant feeds into the Toronto area that this
is a bit ridiculous -- what's going on?

(The outside world verifiably has not gone away -- traffic in "alt", which
comes into Toronto by a couple of extra routes, remains brisk.)
--
Welcome to Mars!  Your         |     Henry Spencer at U of Toronto Zoology
passport and visa, comrade?    | uunet!attcan!utzoo!henry henry@zoo.toronto.edu

bar@dptcdc.datapoint.com (Brian Ruptash) (04/20/89)

In article <1989Apr19.173049.1553@utzoo.uucp> henry@utzoo.uucp (Henry Spencer) writes:
>Seems to be a news drought in progress locally -- anybody have any idea
>why?  There are so many redundant feeds into the Toronto area that this
>is a bit ridiculous -- what's going on?

A drought?  Quite the contrary; over the past week, I've received
between 2K and 5K articles a day, averaging about 3K.

Where is your feed coming from these days?  It's not utgpu or attcan
(which I had assumed it should be after our shuffle), as they've
both been receiving regular volumes, and don't seem to be feeding
to you (you appear to be a redundant feed to attcan).  It could be
yunexus, but they don't post their stats, and besides, I thought
you were feeding them.

Perhaps you should start posting your news statistics...

Geoff, is it time for another Toronto USENET map?
--
Brian Ruptash                |  Internet: bar@datapoint.com
Principal Architect          |  UUCP:     {uunet, utzoo}!dptcdc!bar

bdb@becker.UUCP (Bruce Becker) (04/20/89)

In article <1989Apr19.173049.1553@utzoo.uucp> henry@utzoo.uucp (Henry Spencer) writes:
|Seems to be a news drought in progress locally -- anybody have any idea
|why?  There are so many redundant feeds into the Toronto area that this
|is a bit ridiculous -- what's going on?

	To add insult to injury, there seems to be a recirculation
	of week-old to 10-day-old news in parts of the local feeds.
	Since some news implementations expire history entries at
	the same time as articles, these won't be seen as duplicates.

|Welcome to Mars!  Your         |     Henry Spencer at U of Toronto Zoology
|passport and visa, comrade?    | uunet!attcan!utzoo!henry henry@zoo.toronto.edu

Cheers,
--
O .		Bruce Becker	Toronto, Ont.
  o  _///_ //	Internet: bdb@becker.UUCP, bruce@gpu.utcs.toronto.edu

da@bvax.UUCP (Dave Sellers) (04/20/89)

In article <1989Apr19.173049.1553@utzoo.uucp>, henry@utzoo.uucp (Henry Spencer) writes:
> Seems to be a news drought in progress locally -- anybody have any idea
> why?  There are so many redundant feeds into the Toronto area that this
> is a bit ridiculous -- what's going on?

I thought the trouble might be local, but if utzoo is not getting much news,
there must be a serious problem somewhere. Watch out for the flood!!!!!!

Dave

In article <423@dptcdc.datapoint.com> bar@dptcdc.toronto.datapoint.com (Brian Ruptash) writes:
>>Seems to be a news drought in progress locally...
>
>Where is your feed coming from these days?  It's not utgpu or attcan
>(which I had assumed it should be after our shuffle), as they've
>both been receiving regular volumes, and don't seem to be feeding
>to you ...

It's supposed to be *both* utgpu and attcan.  The utgpu problem seems
to have been a sys-file mistake; attcan I'm not sure about, although
I get a strong sense that things are in transition there and there may
be some confusion.

>Perhaps you should start posting your news statistics...

I should.  Trouble is, that's one of a number of network-admin issues
that have been in the "to be done as soon as the more urgent stuff is
out of the way" for quite some time...
--
Mars in 1980s:  USSR, 2 tries, |     Henry Spencer at U of Toronto Zoology
2 failures; USA, 0 tries.      | uunet!attcan!utzoo!henry henry@zoo.toronto.edu

In article <1989Apr20.202152.21101@utzoo.uucp> I wrote:
>[Our feed is] supposed to be *both* utgpu and attcan.  The utgpu problem seems
>to have been a sys-file mistake; attcan I'm not sure about, although
>I get a strong sense that things are in transition there and there may
>be some confusion.

Turns out that there was a misunderstanding at attcan so we got only some
of the articles they got.  I'm going to have to start keeping a closer
eye on news statistics...
--

bdb@becker.UUCP (Bruce Becker) (04/21/89)

In article <1989Apr20.203915.21295@utzoo.uucp> henry@utzoo.uucp (Henry Spencer) writes:
| [...]
|Turns out that there was a misunderstanding at attcan so we got only some
|of the articles they got.  I'm going to have to start keeping a closer
|eye on news statistics...

	Does this mean (shudder) a flood of news to come,
	or has there been (gasp) news lost in transit?

|Mars in 1980s:  USSR, 2 tries, |     Henry Spencer at U of Toronto Zoology
|2 failures; USA, 0 tries.      | uunet!attcan!utzoo!henry henry@zoo.toronto.edu

In Suspense,
--
   __	 Bruce Becker	Toronto, Ont.
w \cc/	 Internet: bdb@becker.UUCP, bruce@gpu.utcs.toronto.edu

geoff@utstat.uucp (Geoff Collyer) (04/21/89)

> Geoff, is it time for another Toronto USENET map?

Gee, I sure hope not :-); it's a lot of work making a Usenet map: you
get stoned by mailed replies to your sendsys control message, then (in
the absence of automatic map-making software) you draw drafts and
finally draw the finished map in pain-staking detail.  During the data
collection phase, the shell's "you have mail" prompt is redundant and
novice news administrators phone you up and demand to know why you have
broken security on their machines and stolen their sys files. :-)

Then when you are done, people run around and rearrange all their
netnews connections and in three or four months your map is hopelessly
out of date and people ask you to make another one. :-)  It's such
satisfying work producing the map du jour. :-)

In the past I have made maps only twice and both times because Henry
asked for them in order to try to rationalise the Toronto news flow.
Fortunately for me, Henry hasn't needed them too often.  If this is
going to be a recurring need, I think it needs to be automated as much
as possible, which probably means someone with more spare time than me
finding or writing appropriate map-drawing software which needs only a
little advice to resolve ambiguous sys file information.  Henry has
given me an interesting paper describing how IBM draws maps of SNA
networks, but I haven't had a chance to read it in detail yet.  (I don't
have the bits so I can't e-mail it to you and we don't have a FAX.  I
can provide the reference to interested parties when I get to work.)
--
Geoff Collyer	utzoo!utstat!geoff, geoff@utstat.toronto.edu
It's all Henry's fault. (TM)

In article <433@becker.UUCP> bdb@becker.UUCP (Bruce Becker) writes:
>	Does this mean (shudder) a flood of news to come,
>	or has there been (gasp) news lost in transit?

Probably a little of both, if you're fed via utzoo.
--

bob@vpk3.UUCP (Bob Kyryliuk) (04/22/89)

In article <1989Apr20.203915.21295@utzoo.uucp> henry@utzoo.uucp (Henry Spencer) writes:
>In article <1989Apr20.202152.21101@utzoo.uucp> Henry writes:
>>[Our feed is] supposed to be *both* utgpu and attcan.  The utgpu problem seems
>>to have been a sys-file mistake; attcan I'm not sure about, although
>>I get a strong sense that things are in transition there and there may
>>be some confusion.
>
>Turns out that there was a misunderstanding at attcan so we got only some
>of the articles they got.  I'm going to have to start keeping a closer
>eye on news statistics...

Just to give a little more detail/confusion ... attcan was only giving utzoo
articles that hadn't gone through jarvis (ie both attcan and utzoo get copies
of articles from jarvis via utgpu), and attcan gets articles from uunet as
well. We had made this changequite a while back since at the time we were
somewhat overloaded from getting four redundant feeds (ie utzoo,dptcdc,utgpu
all via jarvis and uunet).

When utgpu recently didn't feed some of their jarvis articles to utzoo, they
naturally didn't get them from attcan either, and that's when we all realized
that there was a problem.

We now feed everything to utzoo, even if it's an article that came via
jarvis->utgpu so this shouldn't happen again.

Regards,
	Bob
   ____   _______   _____   _______     -------     Bob Kyryliuk
  / __ \ |__   __| /   _ \ |__   __|  -====------   Manager, Special Projects
 | (__) |   | |    \  \ \_\   | |    -======------  National Technical Support
 |  __  |   | |    /   \ __   | |    --====-------  AT&T Canada Inc.
 | |  | |   | |   |  (\ / /   | |     -----------
 |_|  |_|   |_|    \_____/    |_|       -------     (416) 756-5183

AT&T MAIL: ..!attmail!bkyryliuk         UUCP:{att|cuuxb|uunet|utzoo}!attcan!bob

bar@dptcdc.toronto.datapoint.com (Brian Ruptash) (04/22/89)

In article <1989Apr21.154037.18237@utzoo.uucp> henry@utzoo.uucp (Henry Spencer) writes:
>In article <433@becker.UUCP> bdb@becker.UUCP (Bruce Becker) writes:
>>	Does this mean (shudder) a flood of news to come,
>>	or has there been (gasp) news lost in transit?
>
>Probably a little of both, if you're fed via utzoo.

I just completed feeding utzoo all the articles I received between
April 16th and 20th -- it amounted to roughly 8,000 articles.
--

cks@ziebmef.uucp (Chris Siebenmann) (04/23/89)

In article <429@becker.UUCP> bdb@becker.UUCP (Bruce Becker) writes:
| 	To add insult to injury, there seems to be a recirculation
| 	of week-old to 10-day-old news in parts of the local feeds.
| 	Since some news implementations expire history entries at
| 	the same time as articles, these won't be seen as duplicates.

 I suspect that we're getting close to having loops just over the
critical time, perhaps due to all the sites that have converted to
Cnews. I've seen a lot of duplicates in tor.news.stats and various
other groups; the late-arriving duplicates all have rather long paths.
Relatively central sites still running Bnews may want to up their
history retention times for tor.* groups to try and choke this off.

--
	"But he said leave me alone I'm a family man
	 and my bark is much worse than my bite"

cs3b3aj@maccs.McMaster.CA (Stephen M. Dunn) (04/23/89)

Oh well ... Monty Python instructs us to look on the bright side of life,
so I guess the bright side is that we get to see larger chunks of each thread
at once (although some article duplication occurs, and follow-ups are
generally stating things that somebody else said a week ago).
! Stephen M. Dunn, cs3b3aj@maccs.McMaster.CA ! DISCLAIMER:           !
! Goddamn exams!  I hate them!  I hate them! ! I'm only an undergrad !

In article <1989Apr22.142911.1685@ziebmef.uucp> cks@ziebmef.UUCP (Chris Siebenmann) writes:
>| 	To add insult to injury, there seems to be a recirculation
>| 	of week-old to 10-day-old news in parts of the local feeds.
>| 	Since some news implementations expire history entries at
>| 	the same time as articles, these won't be seen as duplicates.

Lest anyone wonder, C News expire now supports longer retention of history
entries.  (And it is very nearly finished -- I thought it was finished,
but Geoff found a few rough edges in my distribution.)
--

bdb@becker.UUCP (Bruce Becker) (04/25/89)

In article <1989Apr24.151015.15611@utzoo.uucp> henry@utzoo.uucp (Henry Spencer) writes:
|In article <1989Apr22.142911.1685@ziebmef.uucp> cks@ziebmef.UUCP (Chris Siebenmann) writes:
|>| 	To add insult to injury, there seems to be a recirculation
|>| 	of week-old to 10-day-old news in parts of the local feeds.
|>| 	Since some news implementations expire history entries at
|>| 	the same time as articles, these won't be seen as duplicates.
|
|Lest anyone wonder, C News expire now supports longer retention of history
|entries.  (And it is very nearly finished -- I thought it was finished,
|but Geoff found a few rough edges in my distribution.)

	Actually I wrote that,  in response to a point raised
	by Chris - the good news in any case is the hint that
	the release of C News is immenent, yay!

Cheers,