[tor.news] duplicate articles

bob@vpk3.UUCP (Bob Kyryliuk) (04/25/89)

In article <1989Apr22.142911.1685@ziebmef.uucp> cks@ziebmef.UUCP (Chris Siebenmann) writes:
>In article <429@becker.UUCP> bdb@becker.UUCP (Bruce Becker) writes:
>| 	To add insult to injury, there seems to be a recirculation
>| 	of week-old to 10-day-old news in parts of the local feeds.
>| 	Since some news implementations expire history entries at
>| 	the same time as articles, these won't be seen as duplicates.
>
> I suspect that we're getting close to having loops just over the
>critical time, perhaps due to all the sites that have converted to
>Cnews. I've seen a lot of duplicates in tor.news.stats and various
>other groups; the late-arriving duplicates all have rather long paths.
>Relatively central sites still running Bnews may want to up their
>history retention times for tor.* groups to try and choke this off.

I've noticed a small number of duplicate articles on attcan in tor.news.* that
actually were processed as separate articles ...

It can't be explained by expire times, since we don't expire tor.*
for 7 days, and yet some of the articles arrived on the same day, or
a day apart. The usual check of the Message-ID showed that they
were identical.

I've never heard of this problem before ... and nobody has reported the problem
to me internally on any but the tor.news.* groups.

We're still running B-News 2.11.14 (although we'll move up to C-News when it
becomes available).

Here's a sample duplicate article from mark@sickkids:

	article headers (note identical Message-ID's):

		148:Path: attcan!utgpu!lsuc!sickkids!mark
		148:Message-ID: <259@sickkids.UUCP>

		151:Path: attcan!utzoo!yunexus!maccs!lsuc!sickkids!mark
		151:Message-ID: <259@sickkids.UUCP>

	history.d entries (note that they arrived the same day):

		<259@sickkids.UUCP>	04/22/89 02:23	tor.news/148
		<259@sickkids.UUCP>	04/22/89 13:02	tor.news/151

As we often get numerous duplicate articles because of our multiple feeds
(ie 1000-10000 per day :-) which are handled correctly, it seems odd that
a few of the tor.news.* articles are slipping in past the B-News software.

Anyone have any clues?

Regards,
	Bob
   ____   _______   _____   _______     -------     Bob Kyryliuk
  / __ \ |__   __| /   _ \ |__   __|  -====------   Manager, Special Projects
 | (__) |   | |    \  \ \_\   | |    -======------  National Technical Support
 |  __  |   | |    /   \ __   | |    --====-------  AT&T Canada Inc.
 | |  | |   | |   |  (\ / /   | |     -----------
 |_|  |_|   |_|    \_____/    |_|       -------     (416) 756-5183

AT&T MAIL: ..!attmail!bkyryliuk         UUCP:{att|cuuxb|uunet|utzoo}!attcan!bob

bdb@becker.UUCP (Bruce Becker) (04/25/89)

In article <4777@vpk3.UUCP> bob@attcan.UUCP (Bob Kyryliuk) writes:
| [...]
|Here's a sample duplicate article from mark@sickkids:
|
|	article headers (note identical Message-ID's):
|
|		148:Path: attcan!utgpu!lsuc!sickkids!mark
|		148:Message-ID: <259@sickkids.UUCP>
|
|		151:Path: attcan!utzoo!yunexus!maccs!lsuc!sickkids!mark
|		151:Message-ID: <259@sickkids.UUCP>
|
|	history.d entries (note that they arrived the same day):
|
|		<259@sickkids.UUCP>	04/22/89 02:23	tor.news/148
|		<259@sickkids.UUCP>	04/22/89 13:02	tor.news/151
|
|As we often get numerous duplicate articles because of our multiple feeds
|(ie 1000-10000 per day :-) which are handled correctly, it seems odd that
|a few of the tor.news.* articles are slipping in past the B-News software.
|
|Anyone have any clues?

	I have duplicates consistently in my news, and not
	just in "tor" either. The reason why I ended up complaining
	was that a lot of the recirculated articles *ought* to
	have been rejected but weren't for some reason.

	I had put the problem down to a possible flaw in the
	port of dbm to this machine (which theory I have yet
	to test), but "history.d" sounds like the non-dbm type
	of history mechanism, so there may be a flaw in the
	logic of the B News history system (version 4.3.1.4).

	I have put off dealing with this problem until I upgrade
	my News software, which I'm told will be available RSN...

Cheers,
--
   __	 Bruce Becker	Toronto, Ont.
w \cc/	 Internet: bdb@becker.UUCP, bruce@gpu.utcs.toronto.edu