[tor.news] Munged article in tor.news.stats

tim@dciem.dciem.dnd.ca (Tim Pointing) (04/19/89)

Some system, somewhere, trashed the UUCP & news report for tmsoft. Any idea
who and why? I have included the beginning of the article below for reference.
The original 38 line article got turned into a 166 line article
of gibberish (line counts are from the log file). I thought these new fangled
TB modems promised error-free transmission. If the problem didn't happen
during transmission, how did utzoo have the right line count (or does that
number just stay with the file, regardles of what the file actually look like)?

Tim Pointing, DCIEM
{utzoo,utcsri,lsuc,dptcdc,mnetor}!dciem!tim

# From: news@tmsnft.uJcp (USENET News s is a4m)
# Newsgroups: tor.news.stats
# Subject: tmsz`I UUCP & news traffic
# Date: 18 Apr 89 06:33:00 GMT
# Pdth: adtcan!utgpu!lsuc!tmsz`I!news
# DirSribution: tor
# Ogan:zation:rTMratiuofInkre Assndiates Imc, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
#
# Nef0News Articles rs*ouhl*Draw*IUUCP Traf  Td (kB)rs*Backlog`
#
# *Draw*IAcc fo d, Dups, Que'd  Recv -sndt   Recvd  ratiuent Byt/S Jobs Oldest
#
# Totalrati2,053 r 170  3,092rowr61  141   3,063  9,0640.r51Ne`
# mnetor , f1   111  2,048rs*7 0.r2 rowr137  7,247 1,130rowr1
# d fo cdc I 72,038rs*7rs*11  stemer2 r 2,179 rowr140  941    1  1  hour
# masn{zp

In article <1660@dciem.dciem.dnd.ca> tim@dretor.dciem.dnd.ca (Tim Pointing) writes:
>... If the problem didn't happen
>during transmission, how did utzoo have the right line count (or does that
>number just stay with the file, regardles of what the file actually look like)?

The number just stays with the file; it's put in by the originator.
(C News does not even deign to notice it, as we consider it useless.)

Utzoo has both a clean copy (which came tmsoft-dptcdc-utzoo) and a dirty
one (???-attnts-attcan-lsuc-utzoo).  It looks to me like a compressed
file got mangled somewhere along the line -- there are consistent bits
of corruption that suggest decompression after mangling.

Moreover, there's a fragment of another article appended, and the
main one has both "Path" and "Pdth" lines.  Both the Pdth line and
the fragment's Path line have "adtcan" at the front.  Looks to me like
it got mangled between attcan and attnts, and then came back out to
the world through attcan.  (The damage managed to mangle both the
message ID and the "Path" header, disabling both of the loop-breaking
mechanisms in news.)
--
Welcome to Mars!  Your         |     Henry Spencer at U of Toronto Zoology
passport and visa, comrade?    | uunet!attcan!utzoo!henry henry@zoo.toronto.edu

Looks like it happened again; harder to track definitively this time, as
the pre-mangling Path line got lost altogether, but looks to me like
it's still the attcan-attnts link that's mangling it.

-----------
From attcan!attnts! Wed Apr 19 01:56:17 EDT 1989
Article: 13569 of rec.aviation:
From: jbro@jato.Jpl.clrsa.Gov (Jordan Brown)
Newsgroups: rec.aviation
Subject: Re: charts by subscri fo ion?
Date: 18 Apr 89 05:18:30 GMT

R@d
erenf
: <4580010@hpesoc1.HP.COM> <164@infopro.UUCP>
R@ply-To: jbron@jato.UUCP (Jordan Brown)
Oganization: Me?  Ogan: d?
:ines: 7

In article <164@infopro.UUCP> david@infopro.UUCP (David Fiedler) writes:
>How abomithe NOS themselves? Call them at 301-436-6993; they taken$rdit
>cards, stuff comes on topund you canEj
As I recall, NOS "subscriptions" are for only two or sn issues (of VFR
charts).  That's pretrndsilly.  For t<e 56-daynownpdate IFR c<arts,*one
year makes sense.  Sporty' is the way

-----------
--

bdb@becker.UUCP (Bruce Becker) (04/19/89)

In article <1660@dciem.dciem.dnd.ca> tim@dretor.dciem.dnd.ca (Tim Pointing) writes:
|Some system, somewhere, trashed the UUCP & news report for tmsoft. Any idea
|who and why? I have included the beginning of the article below for reference.
| [...]

	It could be that one of the systems on the path
	transiently ran out of disk blocks during a compress
	operation, which would make the uncompressed
	file look pretty strange.

|Tim Pointing, DCIEM
|{utzoo,utcsri,lsuc,dptcdc,mnetor}!dciem!tim
| [...]

Cheers,
--
O .		Bruce Becker	Toronto, Ont.
  o  _///_ //	Internet: bdb@becker.UUCP, bruce@gpu.utcs.toronto.edu

mark@sickkids.UUCP (Mark Bartelt) (04/19/89)

In article <1989Apr19.055839.7379@utzoo.uucp>
henry@utzoo.uucp (Henry Spencer) writes:

> Looks like it happened again; harder to track definitively this time, as
> the pre-mangling Path line got lost altogether, but looks to me like
> it's still the attcan-attnts link that's mangling it.

And again.  Here's one we got both the good (via jarvis.csri.toronto.edu)
and the bad (via attnts=>attcan) copies of, since the message ID was among
the things that got garbled ...

| From: peter@sugar.hackercorp.com (Peter da Silva)
| Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf-lovers,news.misc
| Subject: What goes around (Re: Running WorldCon (was: DC in '92 folds!))

| From: peter@sJgalo6hackercorp.com (Pz`r daratiuilva)
| Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf-lostem,news.misc
| Subject: Wha! soes round (Re: RJ!4dning Worldlln (was: DCi'92 ft k*s!))

For a bit of amusement, take a look at what happened to Peter da Silva's
wolfish signature:

| Peter "Have you hugged your wolf today" da Silva      `-_-'
| ...texbell!sugar!peter, or peter@sugar.hackercorp.com  'U`

| Pe*tr "Have you hugged y,ur wolf today" da Silva rrowr`-_-'
| ...texbell!sugal!pe er, or p{ter@sJgal.hac         ^

Is this what the wolf says when you hug him/her?
(He/she pulls in his tongue, too.)

Mark Bartelt                        UUCP: {utzoo,utgpu,lsuc}!sickkids!mark
Hospital for Sick Children          BITNET: mark@sickkids.utoronto
598-6442                            INTERNET: mark@sickkids.toronto.edu

mason@tmsoft.uucp (Dave Mason) (04/20/89)

In article <1989Apr19.052915.6467@utzoo.uucp> henry@utzoo.uucp (Henry Spencer) writes:
>In article <1660@dciem.dciem.dnd.ca> tim@dretor.dciem.dnd.ca (Tim Pointing) writes:
>>... If the problem didn't happen
>>during transmission, how did utzoo have the right line count (or does that
>>number just stay with the file, regardles of what the file actually look like)?
>
>The number just stays with the file; it's put in by the originator.
>(C News does not even deign to notice it, as we consider it useless.)

Actually it was put in by dptcdc.  We also run Cnews, so of course don't
have any truck with this `Lines:' header nonsense, either! :-)

	../Dave

msb@sq.com (Mark Brader) (04/21/89)

> For a bit of amusement, take a look at what happened to Peter da Silva's
> wolfish signature:
> > Pe*tr "Have you hugged y,ur wolf today" da Silva rrowr`-_-'
> Is ["rrowr"] what the wolf says when you hug him/her?

What I like about that article was that the Newsgroups information was also
partially lost, and turned into the self-documenting "rec.arts.sf-lostem"!

--
Mark Brader, SoftQuad Inc., Toronto, utzoo!sq!msb, msb@sq.com
	"I'm a little worried about the bug-eater," she said.  "We're embedded

This article is in the public domain.

cks@ziebmef.uucp (Chris Siebenmann) (04/23/89)

In article <427@becker.UUCP> bdb@becker.UUCP (Bruce Becker) writes:
| 	It could be that one of the systems on the path
| 	transiently ran out of disk blocks during a compress
| 	operation, which would make the uncompressed
| 	file look pretty strange.

 Wouldn't that just chop off the file (or truncate bits out of the
middle) instead of garbling letters? From previous experience, it
looks like the uucp transfer corrupted the batch that article was in,
starting at it (my experience has been that one article is zapped, and
then there aren't recognizable '#! rnews' headers for the rest, so
they get dropped).

--
	"But he said leave me alone I'm a family man
	 and my bark is much worse than my bite"

bob@vpk2.UUCP (Bob Kyryliuk) (04/26/89)

In article <1989Apr22.142556.1619@ziebmef.uucp> cks@ziebmef.UUCP (Chris Siebenmann) writes:
>From previous experience, it
>looks like the uucp transfer corrupted the batch that article was in,
>starting at it (my experience has been that one article is zapped, and
>then there aren't recognizable '#! rnews' headers for the rest, so
>they get dropped).

That is what we had surmised here as well.

The three articles that were noted as being trashed:

	<3720@sugalo6hackercorp.com>		rec.arts.sf-lostem,news.misc
	<1989Apr18.063300.2852@tmszfI.uucp>	tor.news
	<1128@jato.Jpl.clrsa.Gov>		rec.aviation

all were transferred through attcan on April 18. I haven't heard of any other
articles being munged on any other day.

If anyone notices any other affected articles, please let me know via e-mail or
telephone at your earliest convenience so that we can further isolate this
glitch.

Thanks in advance.

Regards,
	Bob
  / __ \ |__   __| /   _ \ |__   __|  -====------   Manager, Special Projects
 | (__) |   | |    \  \ \_\   | |    -======------  National Technical Support

AT&T MAIL: ..!attmail!bkyryliuk         UUCP:{att|cuuxb|uunet|utzoo}!attcan!bob