[tor.news] Redundant feeds

kevin@jtsv16.UUCP (kevin) (05/08/89)

In article <1389@ncrcan.Toronto.NCR.COM> brian@ncrcan.Toronto.NCR.COM (Brian Onn) writes:
>Is there not a redundant full feed into the Toronto area?  I thought that
>both attcan and jarvis were bringing news in, and that most of the major
>sites were exchanging news with each other.

We bring a (nearly) full feed in from uunet, have been since last
August:

comp,sci,news,rec,soc,talk,can,tor,ont,gnu,alt,misc

We feed geac and a few leaf nodes.

--
Kevin Brighton                          kevin@jtsv16.jts.com
JTS Computer Systems Ltd.       { suncan | geac | uunet }!jtsv16!kevin

eric@geac.UUCP (Eric Dirks) (05/12/89)

In article <498@jtsv16.UUCP> kevin@jtsv16.jts.com (kevin brighton) writes:
>In article <1389@ncrcan.Toronto.NCR.COM> brian@ncrcan.Toronto.NCR.COM (Brian Onn) writes:
>>Is there not a redundant full feed into the Toronto area?  I thought that

>We bring a (nearly) full feed in from uunet, have been since last
>August:

>We feed geac and a few leaf nodes.

     Originally our main feed was yunexus however a while ago, there was a small
problem with smoke in the computer room there. This meant that yunexus became
somewhat unreliable for most of the holiday season. At this time we set up a
full feed to jtsv16 (it had been only local groups up to that time) and
afterwards left it as a redundant feed. Additionally the traffic to yunexus
was also restricted (to non-jtsv16 articles) because it seemed to be heavily
loaded with news traffic and an additional redundant inbound feed seemed
unnecessary.
    I anticipated that the news re-organization would change things later anyway
so I did not worry about the issue further. Since this has not happened, geac
is prepared to arrange redundant feeds to Trailblazer sites in order to provide
a backup for the regular feeds. If you are interested send me mail to work out
the details.

--
Eric Dirks 		Geac Computer Corporation, Markham, Ontario
eric@geac