[tor.news] Telebit vs. X.25

In article <1989May14.165359.21028@telly.on.ca> evan@telly.on.ca (Evan Leibovitch) writes:
>4) Can anyone confirm what I've heard as rumour, that Telebit
>   LD links for news feeds are actually cheaper than X.25?

Rick Adams of UUNET has pretty much said as much.  It may depend somewhat
on details, but the fact is that X.25 is an expensive way to ship bulk
data:  the connect charge does not look that high, but the per-packet or
per-byte charges get nasty for bulk transmission, and the throughput is
not that good.  A Trailblazer link after midnight is a pretty cheap data
pipeline.
--
Subversion, n:  a superset     |     Henry Spencer at U of Toronto Zoology
of a subset.    --J.J. Horning | uunet!attcan!utzoo!henry henry@zoo.toronto.edu

soley@moegate.UUCP (Norman S. Soley) (05/16/89)

>In article <1989May14.165359.21028@telly.on.ca> evan@telly.on.ca (Evan Leibovitch) writes:
>4) Can anyone confirm what I've heard as rumour, that Telebit
>   LD links for news feeds are actually cheaper than X.25?

The arithmetic is pretty simple, between two points in Ontario Datapac costs
between $3 and $6 per Kilo-packet or 256K, direct dial long distance rarely
exceeds $.30/minute. I won't bore anyone with the actual calculations, the
resulting costs end up looking something like:

	Datapac: 1.1 - 2.3 cents/Kilobyte
	TeleBit: 0.6       cents/Kilobyte

The Telebit costs go down even further if you use then after 11PM, the other
thing you can do with trailblazers that is not recommended with lesser modems
is run them on WATS lines.

The CRTC announced this morning that Bell has been ordered to stop subsidizing
data services from regular telephone service income, as a result prices will be
going up June 5th for DataPac, Inet2000, Envoy 100, Dataroute and more.

--
Norman Soley - The Communications Guy - Ontario Ministry of the Environment
Until the next maps go out:	moegate!soley@ontenv.UUCP

rayan@ai.toronto.edu (Rayan Zachariassen) (05/17/89)

In article <302@moegate.UUCP> soley@moegate.UUCP (Norman S. Soley) writes:
# 	Datapac: 1.1 - 2.3 cents/Kilobyte
# 	TeleBit: 0.6       cents/Kilobyte

This is for Datapac-3101 service (i.e. they do PAD work for you), not
Datapac-3000 (you do your own PAD).  For the latter, rates are about 0.60$/kp
within Ontario (location-sensitive), which changes the picture somewhat.
However, to the U.S. there is much more of a balance, at that point the
precise billing schemes on phone lines become very important -- for example
uunet charges for 3 minutes minimum per call.  Also remember that it is
more expensive to have an empty call with a Telebit (1-2 minutes) than with
UUCP/X.25 (50 packets?).  It gets complicated.  I think that with 1 minute
minimum and night rates, TB's win out.  Otherwise it gets pretty fuzzy which
is better.  Oh yes, remember to factor in the monthly charges if you do
your own PAD work, you need nontrivial volume for them to disappear in the
wash.