[tor.news] lsuc becomes a leaf node

dave@lsuc.uucp (David Sherman) (05/02/89)

It is with some sadness that I report that lsuc has now become
a leaf node.  We stopped feeding ncrcan as of yesterday.  We
still supply a small feed to ecicrl, and forward "can,ont,tor"
to lots of local sites.

The change is a direct result of the volume of news.  Our kernel
can't handle input at >1200 baud, and we were tying up two telephone
lines almost permanently with our infeed (attcan) and ncrcan.
I'll be cutting out some high-volume groups as a way of reducing
the infeed phone time.

This change doesn't affect our ability to handle mail traffic
for the 51 sites we talk to (it'll improve it, in fact).

David Sherman
The Law Society of Upper Canada
--
Moderator, mail.yiddish
{ uunet!attcan  att  utzoo }!lsuc!dave          dave%lsuc@ai.toronto.edu

bob@attcan.UUCP (Bob Kyryliuk) (05/26/89)

In article <1989May2.164034.25078@lsuc.uucp>, dave@lsuc.uucp (David Sherman) writes:

> It is with some sadness that I report that lsuc has now become
> a leaf node.  We stopped feeding ncrcan as of yesterday.  We
> still supply a small feed to ecicrl, and forward "can,ont,tor"
> to lots of local sites.
>
> The change is a direct result of the volume of news.  Our kernel
> can't handle input at >1200 baud, and we were tying up two telephone
> lines almost permanently with our infeed (attcan) and ncrcan.
> I'll be cutting out some high-volume groups as a way of reducing
> the infeed phone time.
> This change doesn't affect our ability to handle mail traffic
> for the 51 sites we talk to (it'll improve it, in fact).

The upside to the recent departure of lsuc as a gateway is that ncrcan now gets
a full feed at 2400 baud directly from attcan rather than being at the end of
the 1200 baud transfers through lsuc.

Obviously, this means that ncrcan and its numerous downstream sites will get
news quicker.  The transfer from attcan to ncrcan will occur in one quarter the
time (ie one 2400 baud transfer rather than two 1200 baud transfers).

As time goes on, USENET continues to evolve, use newer technology, and get more
efficient, as it strives to support the ever-increasing volume of traffic :-)

Although I've not being a vocal USENET poster in the past, I'd like to thank
the Law Society of Upper Canada for the role that 'lsuc' has played in the
history of the Canadian news network and to Dave for his years of contribution
to that cause.

Regards,
	Bob
--