[tor.news] Takin' my mail down to Virginee...

evan@telly.on.ca (Evan Leibovitch) (05/14/89)

Upon redoing my paths file recently, I noticed that pathalias now considers
the fastest trip from here to uunet to be

telly!utzoo!utgpu!utai!watmath!uunet

rather than what it used to be, telly!attcan!uunet

This brought on a couple of curiosities:

1) What's changed in local connectivity to bring this about? Does watmath
   really talk to uunet every 1/2 hour?

2) I thought UofT also talks to uunet. If the waterloo connection is so
   good, why bother?

3) Has anyone else seen this change?

4) Can anyone confirm what I've heard as rumour, that Telebit
   LD links for news feeds are actually cheaper than X.25?

--

Evan Leibovitch, SA, Telly Online, located in beautiful Brampton, Ontario
   evan@telly.on.ca / {uunet!attcan,utzoo}!telly!evan / (416) 452-0504

mason@tmsoft.uucp (Dave Mason) (05/15/89)

In article <1989May14.165359.21028@telly.on.ca> evan@telly.on.ca (Evan Leibovitch) writes:
>Upon redoing my paths file recently, I noticed that pathalias now considers
>the fastest trip from here to uunet to be
>
>telly!utzoo!utgpu!utai!watmath!uunet
>
>rather than what it used to be, telly!attcan!uunet

I also noticed this yesterday, so I tried mail to:
	mason%tmsoft@uunet.uu.net
 and	mnetor!uunet!mason%tmsoft	(my previous best path)
to test the time it took via each path.

The one via mnetor worked fine (although it didn't go out of Toronto
until midnight (NOTE: I'm definitely NOT complaining) but it got
turned around immediately at uunet & was back here within 30 minutes).

The one via watmath translated into utcsri!utai!watmath!uunet!... but
it bounced off utgpu, yes gpu!  It seems that watmath's internet path
actually goes via utgpu (though why I don't know!) but it mangled the
bounce path to such an extent that gpu couldn't make sense of it and I
got some nice mail from Postmaster@gpu.  Needless to say, I re-ran
pathalias with -dwatmath!uunet.  Everything is now fine.

>This brought on a couple of curiosities:
>
>1) What's changed in local connectivity to bring this about? Does watmath
>   really talk to uunet every 1/2 hour?
See above.  Sort-of is my evaluation of this.

>2) I thought UofT also talks to uunet. If the waterloo connection is so
>   good, why bother?
My understanding is that UofT does not want to be the local mail hub
any more than they already are.  Note that the waterloo internet
connection PHYSICALLY (if not logically, see above) goes through UofT.
Moreover mail from Toronto will follow some UofT path to Waterloo,
then back to UofT to head on to uunet.  Not very efficient.  I thought
Rayan was going to control the costs so Waterloo would not look like
the path of choice from Toronto.  If anyone is going to advertise an
internet connection, it would make more sense for it to be UofT, but I
gather the politics of the situation prevent it.

>4) Can anyone confirm what I've heard as rumour, that Telebit
>   LD links for news feeds are actually cheaper than X.25?
Talk to ron@mnetor.

	../Dave

molnar@gpu.utcs.utoronto.ca (Tom Molnar) (05/15/89)

#
# telly!utzoo!utgpu!utai!watmath!uunet
#
# rather than what it used to be, telly!attcan!uunet

This does seem rather strange indeed.  The path is definitly not what
it should be.  As far as I can tell watmath calls uunet using the UofT
Internet connection. The utgpu <-> watmath link is over ONET.  The message
travels to UofT, thence to waterloo over ONET, back over ONET to UofT, and then
down to uunet.  The shortest path would be telly!utgpu!uunet but the appropriate
path should be telly!attcan!uunet -- utai is no closer to the Internet than
any other host at UofT.

My concern, however, lies elsewhere.  I'm sure the folks at Waterloo didn't
intend to advertise the NSFnet connection at UofT as the default path down
to uunet.  AT&T Canada have graciously offered to handle email traffic to
uunet.  It is not appropriate to use the NSFnet link at UofT for this.

--
Tom Molnar
Unix Systems Group, University of Toronto Computing Services.

rayan@ai.toronto.edu (Rayan Zachariassen) (05/15/89)

I strongly suggest everyone edit the watmath UUCP map entry and change
all DEDICATED costs to HOURLY, except for uunet which may be HOURLY/2,
and ubc-cs which should be DEMAND.  This should put the routes back to
normal (after you rerun pathalias).  I'll bring this up with Onet sites,
to be careful of such things in the future.

No local connectivity has changed, only the advertised costs from watmath.

clewis@ecicrl.UUCP (Chris Lewis) (05/15/89)

In article <89May14.165149edt.11598@neat.ai.toronto.edu> rayan@ai.toronto.edu (Rayan Zachariassen) writes:
>I strongly suggest everyone edit the watmath UUCP map entry and change
>all DEDICATED costs to HOURLY, except for uunet which may be HOURLY/2,
>and ubc-cs which should be DEMAND.

Or, you could do what we do - declare watmath dead.  (-dwatmath)
We've had enough trouble with watmath munging headers.
--
Chris Lewis, Markham, Ontario, Canada
{uunet!attcan,utgpu,yunexus,utzoo}!lsuc!ecicrl!clewis

evan@telly.on.ca (Evan Leibovitch) (05/15/89)

In article <89May14.165149edt.11598@neat.ai.toronto.edu>, Rayan writes:

>I strongly suggest everyone edit the watmath UUCP map entry and change
>all DEDICATED costs to HOURLY, except for uunet which may be HOURLY/2,
>and ubc-cs which should be DEMAND.  This should put the routes back to
>normal (after you rerun pathalias).

I can vouch for that. Brampton's paths file is back to normal, after
applying the above fix.

Now if I can only figure out what to do about those 16 "can't get there
from here" sites...

--

gamiddleton@watmath.waterloo.edu (Guy Middleton) (05/26/89)

In article <228@ecicrl.UUCP> clewis@ecicrl.UUCP (Chris Lewis) writes:
> Or, you could do what we do - declare watmath dead.  (-dwatmath)
> We've had enough trouble with watmath munging headers.

What, specifically, do you dislike about watmath's mailer?  If we are doing
something evil, we'll try to fix it.

 -Guy Middleton, University of Waterloo		gamiddleton@watmath.waterloo.edu

clewis@ecicrl.UUCP (Chris Lewis) (05/26/89)

In article <26562@watmath.waterloo.edu> gamiddleton@watmath.waterloo.edu (Guy Middleton) writes:
>In article <228@ecicrl.UUCP> clewis@ecicrl.UUCP (Chris Lewis) writes:
>> Or, you could do what we do - declare watmath dead.  (-dwatmath)
>> We've had enough trouble with watmath munging headers.
>
>What, specifically, do you dislike about watmath's mailer?  If we are doing
>something evil, we'll try to fix it.

Back in December, I was getting bounces from the following path:

	lsuc!utai!watmath!alberta!oha!tony

oha was bouncing back "can't send to .tony" (I *think*).  Didn't
get any response from watmath by posting/mailing about it at the time
other than from Rayan saying "it's watmath" twice.  (quite literally,
those were the only two words in his mail messages).  I had done some
testing and it appeared that watmath was doing it, alberta's log appeared
to show that it arrived with the mangulation in the uux command line.

There was some discussion in comp.mail.uucp or comp.sendmail or something
about a bug in sendmail header handling with "From:" lines.  I misremember
the details....

I'm sending a new test right now to see if it still happens and I'll send
you the header if it happens again.