[tor.news] Do we really need stats?

evan@telly.on.ca (Evan Leibovitch) (12/18/89)

The other day, a checkgroups message flew by here that included many
groups beyond the standard ones. Local groups from Atlanta, St. Louis,
San Francisco, New England, etc.

One thing I noticed was that no other local group exchanges uucp stats
via postings. It made me ask myself if these things were useful during
normal operation here, when they're not required elsewhere?

I create stats for this site and save them here, so I can make them
available if need arises. But is there a need to forward my 2K to
everyone's spool directory, especially as other traffic increases?

(Outside of the trivial pursuit of glancing at who's sending how much
to whom.)

We can easily know who's talking to whom through the maps. I suggest
that perhaps it is time to have a look at whether we really have to post
statistics daily.

(NOTE: I am fully aware of how to stop reading the stats or stop them
from going into or out of this site. That's not the point. I'm
addressing the bigger issue of whether this stuff even needs to be
propogated.)

I'm going to stop posting telly's, though anyone who wants them can have
them by mail. I'm sure they won't be missed much.
--
  Evan Leibovitch, Sound Software, located in beautiful Brampton, Ontario
          evan@telly.on.ca / uunet!attcan!telly!evan / (416)452-0504

lamy@ai.utoronto.ca (Jean-Francois Lamy) (12/18/89)

evan@telly.on.ca (Evan Leibovitch) writes:

>One thing I noticed was that no other local group exchanges uucp stats
>via postings.

"mn.traffic" is a Minnesota group that does just that.  Clyde.concordia.ca
leaked it to us (coming from uunet, the biggest leak in the world :-) for
about a day, along with all the Australian, Bay Area, New Joisey and all other
regional groups.  I did notice because "mn.traffic" had more traffic than all
the other combined.

Maybe those stats groups get created just to generate some traffic from which
stats can be gathered?

Jean-Francois Lamy               lamy@ai.utoronto.ca, uunet!ai.utoronto.ca!lamy
AI Group, Department of Computer Science, University of Toronto, Canada M5S 1A4

wcm@geac.com (W Christopher Martin) (12/18/89)

In article <258C150E.33F@telly.on.ca> evan@telly.on.ca (Evan Leibovitch)
 writes:
>One thing I noticed was that no other local group exchanges uucp stats
>via postings. It made me ask myself if these things were useful during
>normal operation here, when they're not required elsewhere?

They aren't required here either, but I find them useful.  I'm
surprised that other regions aren't doing the same thing.

>... But is there a need to forward my 2K to
>everyone's spool directory, especially as other traffic increases?
>(Outside of the trivial pursuit of glancing at who's sending how much
>to whom.)

Very rarely do I need the detailed information.  What I usually glance
at is the summary of how many articles passed through various major
sites.  When I compare these numbers to those for my own site, I can
detect whether fluctuations are localized or not.

There are lots of sites posting stats that I put in my kill file and
then ignore.  I don't mind carrying them in case someone out there is
interested.  On the other hand, there are some sites that I wish
would post useful stats.  Some don't post at all, and others post
numbers that I don't find useful (utzoo for example).

>I'm going to stop posting telly's, though anyone who wants them can have
>them by mail. I'm sure they won't be missed much.

They will be missed, but since there are enough other sites posting stats
for me to use as reference points, I won't bother asking to be put on
your mailing list.  I would just have to arrange to inject the mail
back into tor.news.stats (with a local distribution) so that I could
read your stats in context with everyone else's.

wcm
--
W. Christopher Martin  wcm@geac.com or {uunet!jtsv16,utgpu,yunexus}!geac!wcm

bdb@becker.UUCP (Bruce Becker) (12/18/89)

In article <258C150E.33F@telly.on.ca> evan@telly.on.ca (Evan Leibovitch) writes:
|[...]
|We can easily know who's talking to whom through the maps. I suggest
|that perhaps it is time to have a look at whether we really have to post
|statistics daily.

	If it ain't broke don't fix it...

|I'm going to stop posting telly's, though anyone who wants them can have
|them by mail. I'm sure they won't be missed much.

	I wonder why this is such a big problem
	when in comparison you might see in
	"comp.mail.maps" some 5 to 10 "u.gbr.?"
	maps posted per month all over the world,
	to give a trivial example. It seems like
	the stats are like a kind of local weather
	report which are of use on a day to day
	basis esp. when there are news droughts
	or floods...

Cheers,
--
   ^^ 	 Bruce Becker	Toronto, Ont.
w \**/	 Internet: bdb@becker.UUCP, bruce@gpu.utcs.toronto.edu

jmm@eci386.uucp (John Macdonald) (12/19/89)

In article <258C150E.33F@telly.on.ca> evan@telly.on.ca (Evan Leibovitch) writes:

> [ ... ]      It made me ask myself if these things were useful during
>normal operation here, when they're not required elsewhere?

I normally ignore stats completely - by unsubscribing or by a large kill
file depending upon the machine in question.  However, I appreciate
having them there.  It means that whenever there is a lull in incoming news,
I can look back up the feed chain to see whether it is a city-wide drought
or if a specific machine is having problems.  It can mean the difference
between a system administrator noticing a problem eventually, or having a
neighbour sound the alarm immediately.  I certainly appreciate getting
such alerts from my neighbours (I know, I know, its time I got ecijmm
running again...).
--
80386 - hardware demonstrating the fractal nature of warts.   | John Macdonald
EMS/LIM - software demonstrating the fractal nature of warts. |   jmm@eci386