[tor.news] bit.* and list.* news hierarchies

wcm@geac.com (W Christopher Martin) (01/06/90)

I've seen a couple references to news hierarchies that appear
to be gatewayed to/from BITNET mailing lists.  Are there any
Toronto area sites that are willing to pass these on via
uucp?

wcm
--
W. Christopher Martin  wcm@geac.com or {uunet!jtsv16,utgpu,yunexus}!geac!wcm

bdb@becker.UUCP (Bruce Becker) (01/06/90)

In article <1990Jan5.195044.6085@geac.com> wcm@geac.com (W Christopher Martin) writes:
|I've seen a couple references to news hierarchies that appear
|Toronto area sites that are willing to pass these on via
|uucp?

	You can inject mailing lists directly into
	news yourself. Just subscribe to the list
	using a suitable alias, and in your "/usr/lib/aliases"
	file send the mail to a script that injects
	into a newsgroup. Make the newsgroup moderated
	and put the newsgroup's address in the
	"/usr/lib/news/mailpaths" file.

	If you're running "smail", I have a patch
	which allows piping of mail into a program
	or script, if you need it.

Cheers,
--
  \\\\	 Bruce Becker	Toronto, Ont.
w \66/	 Internet: bdb@becker.UUCP, bruce@gpu.utcs.toronto.edu

lamy@cs.utoronto.ca (Jean-Francois Lamy) (01/06/90)

wcm@geac.com (W Christopher Martin) writes:

|I've seen a couple references to news hierarchies that appear
|to be gatewayed to/from BITNET mailing lists.  Are there any
|Toronto area sites that are willing to pass these on via
|uucp?

Many of the bitnet LISTSERV mailing lists into corresponding bit.listserv.*
newsgroups, and jarvis.csri.toronto.edu gets those.  Some tend to be a bit
esoteric and specialized, but not more so than some of the rather narrow
comp.* groups.  We could let the bit.* groups out (the volume is not that
high), but since we only feed torsqnt the other sites on campus that feed
local sites would have to accept and redistribute bit.* in the first place.
There is a slight coordination problem here: gpu.utcs used to do the same
sort of gatewaying with bitnet.* newsgroups that were local to UofT, and
at this point it is not clear how the two will be merged.

The title of your message mentions list.* newsgroups.  These UofT newsgroups
consist of direct subscriptions to mailing lists from the Internet and Bitnet.
As it turns out, all but 4 of the list.* that we were getting from Bitnet are
now bit.listserv newsgroups, and so most of those might go.  The other lists
are Internet lists that are not gatewayed into newsgroups.

One problem with letting the list.* newsgroups out is that Usenet is like
a soggy diaper and leaks from all sides.  Next thing we'll know they'll reach
Australia and people will complain.  So I'm not too hot on letting them out
in that form.

I've included the list of bit.* and list.* newsgroups at the end, so people
can make up their minds on how much interest there is (remember that leaking
bit.* is easy, and the list.* newsgroups would require thinking about it)

bdb@becker.UUCP (Bruce Becker) writes:

>	You can inject mailing lists directly into
>	news yourself. Just subscribe to the list
>	using a suitable alias, and in your "/usr/lib/aliases"

Remember that the Internet and Bitnet traffic to the US still travel on a
single 56Kbps link (38.4Kbps for the Internet side) and that it is very
congested.  Given that the articles are already making it up north, and until
which time we can swim in network bandwidth (not for the foreseeable future),
it makes more sense to get the articles from a source North of the border.
In particular, vm.utcs.utoronto.ca seems to get most of the Bitnet listserv
stuff on their own listserv, so that would be a preferred source for getting
bitnet lists (assuming we don't get the bit.listserv groups out)

Jean-Francois Lamy               lamy@cs.utoronto.ca, uunet!cs.utoronto.ca!lamy
Department of Computer Science, University of Toronto, Canada M5S 1A4
bit.general             General BITNET info.  NETMONTH, SERVERS.
bit.listserv.advise-l   For user services people, advisors, consultants, etc
bit.listserv.aidsnews   Discussions about AIDS
bit.listserv.aix-l      IBM AIX discussion list
bit.listserv.apple2-l   Apple II discussions
bit.listserv.applicat   Identification and Documentation of Bitnet applications
bit.listserv.asm370     IBM System/370 Assemble Language
bit.listserv.billing    Chargeback of computer resources
bit.listserv.bitnews    News from BITNIC
bit.listserv.candle-l   Candle products discussion list
bit.listserv.christia   Practical Christian life
bit.listserv.cmspip-l   VM/SP CMS Pipelines Discussion List
bit.listserv.comm-l     Communication Networks - technical & non-technical
bit.listserv.confer-l   Discussions about an academic conferencing system
bit.listserv.cumrec-l   Administrative computer users and programmers
bit.listserv.cyber-l    CDC Cyber support, announcements and reviews.
bit.listserv.dbase-l    dBase programming language and dialects
bit.listserv.domain-l   Bitnet support of Domain names
bit.listserv.drp-l      Disaster Recovery Plan for Computing Services
bit.listserv.earntech   Earn technical list
bit.listserv.edi-l      Electronic Data Interchange Issues - ANSI X12 and EDIFACT
bit.listserv.edtech     Educational technology
bit.listserv.envbeh-l   Forum on Environment, Design, and Human Behavior
bit.listserv.erl-l      Educational Research List
bit.listserv.ethics-l   Ethical discussions
bit.listserv.film-l     Film making and reviews
bit.listserv.frac-l     Fractals
bit.listserv.future-l   Future developments in Bitnet
bit.listserv.games-l    Computer Games list.
bit.listserv.gddm-l     About IBM's GDDM graphics product
bit.listserv.gguide     Guide to creating a Bitnet guide.
bit.listserv.gutnberg   Machine Readable Texts
bit.listserv.hellas     Hellenic Discussion List
bit.listserv.helpnet    Network Emergency Response Planning
bit.listserv.history    General history discussions
bit.listserv.i-amiga    Info-Amiga List
bit.listserv.ibm-main   IBM Mainframe topics
bit.listserv.ibm-nets   IBM networking
bit.listserv.ibmtcp-l   TCP/IP on IBM equipment.
bit.listserv.ibm7171    The 7171 protocol converter
bit.listserv.info-gcg   Computer aided molecular biology
bit.listserv.infonets   No description
bit.listserv.ioob-l     Industrial Psychology
bit.listserv.isn        The AT&T ISN system
bit.listserv.jes2-l     JES2 discussion list
bit.listserv.jnet-l     For discussion about JNET
bit.listserv.l-hcap     Issues related to handicapped people
bit.listserv.l-vmctr    VMCENTER software discussions
bit.listserv.liaison    For user services people at Bitnet sites
bit.listserv.license    Software licensing issues
bit.listserv.linkfail   Bitnet link failure topics and announcements
bit.listserv.literary   Discussions about literature
bit.listserv.lstsrv-l   About Listserve machines
bit.listserv.mail-l     Mail systems, user agents, etc.
bit.listserv.mailbook   Rice's MAILBOOK system
bit.listserv.media-l    Media Services - Video, Audio, etc.
bit.listserv.ministry-l Careers in religious ministry
bit.listserv.minix      Minix operating system
bit.listserv.mon-l      Network monitoring
bit.listserv.netmon-l   The NETMON program for monitoring the network
bit.listserv.netnws-l   NETNEWS topics
bit.listserv.new-list   Announcements of new discussion lists
bit.listserv.newsb-l    College news bureau issues
bit.listserv.next-l     NeXT Computer List
bit.listserv.nodmgt-l   Node management
bit.listserv.notis-l    NOTIS/DOBIS discussions
bit.listserv.novell     NOVELL Lan Interest Group
bit.listserv.omrscan    Optical scanners
bit.listserv.online-l   JBH Online
bit.listserv.ozone      Save Nature list
bit.listserv.pacs-l     Library systems - CDROM, CAI, AI etc.
bit.listserv.page-l     IBM 3812/3820 Tips and Problems Discussion
bit.listserv.pmdf-l     Pascal Memo Distribution Facility for VAX/VMS
bit.listserv.policy-l   BITNET policy issues
bit.listserv.redist-l   Redistribution of ARPA lists and digests
bit.listserv.relusr-l   Relay users forum
bit.listserv.rexxlist   The REXX interpreter
bit.listserv.rscsmods   Mods to RSCS
bit.listserv.rscsv2-l   RSCS version 2
bit.listserv.s-comput   Supercomputing topics
bit.listserv.sas-l      SAS (Statistical Analysis System) discussions
bit.listserv.script-l   IBM and Waterloo Script
bit.listserv.scuba-l    SCUBA Diving list
bit.listserv.servers    Network file servers
bit.listserv.simula     The simula language
bit.listserv.snamgt-l   SNA networks
bit.listserv.sos-data   Social Science Data discussions
bit.listserv.spires-l   SPIRES Information Retrieval system
bit.listserv.sportpsy   Exercise and Sport Psychology
bit.listserv.spssx-l    The SPSSX Statistical package
bit.listserv.sqlinfo    SQL system and language
bit.listserv.stat-l     Statistical Consulting
bit.listserv.std-l      BITNET "standard" environments
bit.listserv.tech-l     Technical working groups list for Preshare meetings
bit.listserv.tex-l      The TEX typesetting language
bit.listserv.tn3270-l   TN3270 protocol discussion list
bit.listserv.trafic-l   Network traffic
bit.listserv.trans-l    File tranfer topics for Bitnet sites
bit.listserv.travel-l   About travel and tourism
bit.listserv.ucp-l      The University Computer Project in SHARE
bit.listserv.ug-l       Usage Guidelines - network abuse & etiquette.
bit.listserv.urep-l     Discussion about UREP - the UNIX/RSCS emulator
bit.listserv.usrdir-l   User directory services/servers.
bit.listserv.valert-l   Virus Alert - Urgent Virus Warnings
bit.listserv.vector-l   IBM 3090-VF vector facility topics
bit.listserv.vfort-l    VS FORTRAN discussion group
bit.listserv.virus-l    Computer viruses
bit.listserv.vmxa-l     Installation, operation, maintenance of VM/XA
bit.listserv.wp50-l     Word Perfect 5.0
bit.listserv.xcult-l    International intercultural newsletter
bit.listserv.xerox-l    The Xerox Discussion List
bit.listserv.xmailer    Crosswell Mailer issues
bit.listserv.x400-l     X-400 mail topics
bit.listserv.9370-l     IBM 9370 family and VM/IS packaging system
bit.netmonth            Monthly newsletter
bit.servers             Lists of servers accessible via BITNET
bit.test                Simply for testing

list.386users		People using/interested in machines based on the 80386
list.ailist		comp.ai.digest in digest format
list.auto-sports	Automobile sports
list.big-lan		Large network administration
list.bind		Berkeley name server discussions
list.british-cars	British Cars
list.bug-g++		GNU C++ implementation problems
list.bug-gcc		GNU C implementation problems
list.can-inet		Canadian IP over X.25 experimental Internet
list.ccnews
list.clp		Constraint Logic Programming
list.cray-l		Cray discussions.
list.csli-cal		Stanford CSLI Calendar and Newsletter
list.distributed-ai	Distributed Artificial Intelligence
list.dtp
list.egp-people		EGP protocol for IP routing
list.emacs-11		People interested in GNU Emacs running under X11
list.firearms		Guns
list.gated		IP routing daemon
list.hesiod		Discussions on the MIT-Athena Hesiod name server
list.humanist		Human sciences discussions
list.info-386ix		About Interactive Systems' Unix System V port to the 80386
list.info-andrew	About the Andrew Toolkit (BE2)
list.info-andrew-bugs	Bugs in the Andrew Toolkit
list.info-appletalk	AppleTalk and related protocols
list.info-nets		Questions about mail routing
list.info-sendmail	Berkeley sendmail discussions
list.interviews 	the InterViews and InterViews-announce mailing lists
list.linda-users	About the Linda operators for parallel programming
list.lispx 		X Windows and Lisp applications/toolkits/interfaces
list.macsyma		Macsyma symbolic algebra package
list.maple		Maple User Group mailing list
list.market-l
list.mh-users		MH mail system users mailing list
list.mh-workers		MH mail system implementation/porting issues
list.mush-users		Mail Users Shell stuff
list.namedroppers	Discussions about the Internet Domain structure
list.neuron		Neural networks and connectionism (restricted)
list.news-makers	NeWS windowing system (same as comp.windows.news)
list.nn			About the nn newsreader
list.nrcnet-l		Canadian National Research Council Network
list.ntp		Network Time Protocol discussions
list.ocean-policy	On ocean policy, law of the sea etc.
list.onet		Ontario regional Internet.
list.openbook		Open Book Interactive Encyclopedia
list.pc-token		IBM PC Token Ring
list.phys-l
list.skeptics
list.slug		Symbolics Lisp Machine Users Group
list.storm-l
list.sun-managers	Urgent questions for Sun workstation managers
list.sun-nets 		About networks of Suns
list.sun-spots		Sun Workstation mailing lists (digest format)
list.suns-at-home	People running Sun systems at home
list.sysadmin		Administrators of large Unix computer systems
list.texhax		TeX mailing list
list.texmag-l		Bitnet TeX "magazine"
list.tn3270		Discussion of the tn3270 emulation program for IBM3270
list.unix-sw
list.unix-tex		TeX under Unix.  Swallowed by texhax.
list.vision-list	Vision Digest.
list.x11-3d		3d extensions (PHIGS, PHIGS+) to the X Windows System
list.xpc		Implementation of X Windows on Personal Computers
list.xvideo		Video extensions to the X Windows System.
list.test		Testing for moderated newsgroups
list.allegro-cl		Discussion of Franz Inc. Allegro Common Lisp
list.unitex		United Nations headlines.

wcm@geac.com (W Christopher Martin) (01/07/90)

In article <90Jan6.091415est.2181@neat.cs.toronto.edu> lamy@cs.utoronto.ca (Jean-Francois Lamy) writes:
>We could let the bit.* groups out (the volume is not that
>high), but since we only feed torsqnt the other sites on campus that feed
>local sites would have to accept and redistribute bit.* in the first place.

We currently have a mail link with torsqnt.  I'll contact them to see
if some arrangement can be made for them to pass on these groups,
assuming jarvis.csri.toronto.edu will feed them.

>I've included the list of bit.* and list.* newsgroups at the end, so people
>can make up their minds on how much interest there is (remember that leaking
>bit.* is easy, and the list.* newsgroups would require thinking about it)

Thanks for the list.  Geac is definitely interested in obtaining as many
of these groups as you are willing to distribute.  As always, we'll pass
them along to any site to which we currently feed news.

>bdb@becker.UUCP (Bruce Becker) writes:
>
>>	You can inject mailing lists directly into
>>	news yourself. Just subscribe to the list
>>	using a suitable alias, and in your "/usr/lib/aliases"
>
>Remember that the Internet and Bitnet traffic to the US still travel on a
>single 56Kbps link (38.4Kbps for the Internet side) and that it is very
>congested.  Given that the articles are already making it up north, and until
>which time we can swim in network bandwidth (not for the foreseeable future),
>it makes more sense to get the articles from a source North of the border.

That was exactly the reason I posted my original query.  I had seen the
recent announcement in comp.archives about the availabilty of the
various Bitnet mailing lists, and had considered subscribing to several.
I thought it was ridiculous to subscribe if the messages were already
getting to Toronto, especially if someone was already gatewaying them
into USENET-style newsgroups.  Since I knew almost nothing about the
bit.* and list.* hierarchies, I intentionally kept my query short
to avoid spreading disinformation in case my assumptions about those
groups were wrong.  Jean-Francois has confirmed what I had guessed.

>In particular, vm.utcs.utoronto.ca seems to get most of the Bitnet listserv
>stuff on their own listserv, so that would be a preferred source for getting
>bitnet lists (assuming we don't get the bit.listserv groups out).

Assuming that jarvis.csri.toronto.edu and torsqnt agree to start
exchanging the bit.* groups, it would be still advantageous to have a
redundant link from the UofT to the outside world.  Are there other
UofT sites with external links (eg. utzoo) that would be willing
to volunteer?

wcm
--

In article <1990Jan7.032701.17438@geac.com> wcm@geac.com (W Christopher Martin) writes:
>Assuming that jarvis.csri.toronto.edu and torsqnt agree to start
>exchanging the bit.* groups, it would be still advantageous to have a
>redundant link from the UofT to the outside world.  Are there other
>UofT sites with external links (eg. utzoo) that would be willing
>to volunteer?

I think the feed from utgpu to utzoo is actually giving us those groups,
although they aren't in our active file and hence are getting bounced.
I'll check into this.  Provided volumes aren't horrendous, we have no
objection to passing them on to the folks we feed.
--
1972: Saturn V #15 flight-ready|     Henry Spencer at U of Toronto Zoology
1990: birds nesting in engines | uunet!attcan!utzoo!henry henry@zoo.toronto.edu