[rec.arts.startrek] * "There can be no peace..."

spock@hope.UUCP (Chris Ambler) (11/30/86)

This may draw the flames, but I am seriously of the opinion that there should
be a Star Trek film OR book dealing solely with the military aspects of a
direct and acknowledged confrontation with the Klingons. We all know that
is could happen, although perhaps as (un?)likely as a, say, nuclear
confrontation on Earth (no flames on that, please), so why not examine it
theatrically, and with the writers && creators giving it thought?

Your opinions?

--
/-------------------------------------------------------------------------\
|  -Spock!                          | Christopher J. Ambler,              |

jelkind@ruby.berkeley.edu (11/30/86)

In article <919@hope.UUCP> spock@hope.UUCP (Chris Ambler) writes:
>This may draw the flames, but I am seriously of the opinion that there should
>be a Star Trek film OR book dealing solely with the military aspects of a
>direct and acknowledged confrontation with the Klingons. We all know that
>is could happen, although perhaps as (un?)likely as a, say, nuclear
>confrontation on Earth (no flames on that, please), so why not examine it
>theatrically, and with the writers && creators giving it thought?
>
>Your opinions?

You seem to have forgotten one point.  Actually, the scriptwriters seem to have
forgotten it too.  Remember the Organians ("Errand of Mercy")?  Remember the
Organian Peace treaty?  Remember how if either side starts an armed conflict theOrganians will immediately disable that side's fleet?  In short, if there is to
be continuity with the series, there can be NO 'direct and acknowleged confron-
tation with the Klingons.  The best you'll get would be minor incidents a la
"A Private Little War" or "Friday's Child."

				Richard Schultz

kahless@samira.UUCP (Lord Kahless) (11/30/86)

From: ihnp4!ucbvax!ucdavis!ucrmath!hope!spock

> This may draw the flames, but I am seriously of the opinion that there should
> be a Star Trek film OR book dealing solely with the military aspects of a
> direct and acknowledged confrontation with the Klingons. We all know that
> is could happen, although perhaps as (un?)likely as a, say, nuclear
> confrontation on Earth (no flames on that, please), so why not examine it
> theatrically, and with the writers && creators giving it thought?

A complete military history of the Klingon Empire would be voluminous,
but surely would be a glorious thing...

Even an Earth audience would appreciate a record of those battles involving
Federation forces.  For example, a complete history of the battle of Donatu
Five, along with a full description of the D6 and D4 class ships, the hand
weapons used, the personalities of the commanders on both sides, the
economic conditions which lead to the confrontation, charts of the strategies
used in the fire fights, etc., surely could fill one text.  If nothing
else, Mr. Shatner could draw from history for Star Trek V, although Captain
Kirk was in short pants when the battle was waged...
--
	Kahless tai-Hazar
	{lll-crg,sdcsvax,ucbvax}!ucdavis!samira!kahless

		These views do not necessarily reflect those of
		The Imperial Propoganda Division, The Klingon Empire,
		or our Emperor.