[rec.arts.startrek] Enterprise shuttle orbiter vehicle

rjnoe@uniq.UUCP (10/28/87)

In article <6629@ut-ngp.UUCP>, jcc@ut-ngp.UUCP (William Riker) writes:
> In article <477@netxcom.UUCP>, rkolker@netxcom.UUCP (rich kolker) writes:
> > . . . .  But the first shuttle orbiter was to be named
> > "Constitution" before the fans intervened, and NASA acknowleged this by
> > rolling out Enterprise to the theme from Star Trek with the cast and
> > Roddenberry present.
>
> Wrong, slightly.
>
> According to Jimmy Doohan, NASA had had Star Trek fans in mind all along.
> He tells of plans to name the first, NON-OPERATIONAL shuttle Constitution
> because NASA knew that it would never leave the atmosphere.
>
> They had planned on calling the second shuttle, the first ever SPACE
> SHIP, the Enterprise, and giving it all the glory.  Because of fans,
> whose intentions were sincere (our intentions, that is), the first space
> ship is the Challenger (I think--I get the names mixed up).
> 					--chris

Yes, Chris, you do seem to have a few things mixed up here.  I don't know why
Doohan would have said such things.  I don't even remember him doing very much
about this back then, so I don't know how he would have gotten this story.
I was very aware of that campaign as it was happening although I did not take
an active part in it.  (I then and now prefer the name "Constitution" for one
of the shuttle orbiter vehicles; perhaps the school children will go in this
direction for OV-105.)  The story I heard was straight from some of the Trek
fans organizing support for the name change.  Here's what I remember:

NASA planned to name the first one Constitution, rejecting a direct appeal
from Trek fans.  Trekkers, not being unaccustomed to publicity battles,
appealed directly to the President, who convinced the NASA Administrator
to change the name to Enterprise.  (Reportedly, many people at NASA still
dislike organized Trek fandom because of these events.)  Publicly, NASA had
every intention of making this orbiter vehicle (OV-101) the first operational
shuttle.  I think it was back during the approach and landing tests (ALT)
that they announced a change, that Columbia would be the first to orbit
(no, it wasn't Challenger, either) and that Enterprise would be relegated
entirely to ALT, launch complex fit tests, and finally a museum piece.
Maybe it was sooner they announced this, but it was NOT at the Enterprise
rollout in Palmdale.  I do have some blank spots in my memory around then
because of heavy partying, but I distinctly remember talking with people
about when Enterprise would fly (and I don't mean glide).  Unless NASA
intentionally deceived Trek fans and the general public, this is probably
what really happened.  I think it very unlikely that NASA would have done
such a thing; more probable is a lack of funding which prompted a change
in plans.  In any event, I have never heard of any NASA plans to name any
of the shuttle orbiters Enterprise before Star Trek fans started speaking up.

This is being cross-posted to sci.space.shuttle, with follow-ups directed
back here to rec.arts.startrek.  Perhaps someone with a better memory than
mine can tell us what happened from NASA's point of view.
--
long tloc = 507314353L;
	Roger Noe			ihnp4!uniq!rjnoe