[rec.arts.startrek] The definitive

seanf@sco.COM (Sean Fagan) (03/06/89)

In article <5988@bsu-cs.UUCP> pervect@bsu-cs.UUCP (Barrett Kreiner) writes:
>All machines have an internal WORD size (WORD is *NOT* interchangeable with
>BYTE)  a BYTE is defined as 8 bits.. a Nybble (havn't used that in a while) is
>4 bits.  a WORD (on most of all current machines) is a combination of bytes
>and bits.  now repeat after me..
>WORD != BYTE

Very good.  You've got that down.

>BYTE= 8 bits

Then, you blow it here.  Byte is a term that, on microprocessors, meant 8
bits.  Machines from Unisys's predecessor (I'm showing my age, am't I?) had
9-bit bytes, and 18-bit words.  So did quite a few DEC machines.  In fact,
the PDP-11 and VAX are, I believe, DEC's only machines with 8-bit bytes (if
I'm wrong, I'm sure thousands of people will inform me).  IBM had 8-bit
bytes for their 360, but not necessarily for earlier machines.  CDC had
12-bit bytes for the 6600 (that was what the PP's could address), but tended
to work with 6-bit bytes, since they could put 10 characters (6-bits each)
in a word (60-bits, of course).  When they came up with the CMU (Character
Move Unit), they had 6-bit bytes.  The ARM (Acorn RISC Machine) doesn't really
have bytes; everything is word-addressable on it (32-bit words).  I could
therefore make a case of it having a 32-bit byte.  I could go on, through
about 30-40 years of computer history, but I think you get the idea.
Please not the followup, ok?

>bit = binary decimal (0 or 1)

This is true.

>Nybble = 4 bits = 1/2 byte

Nybble is not used always.  You could ask a lot of programmers, and they
wouldn't know what it is.  Usually used by people who use microcomputers.

>WORD= anything a manufacuterer feels like..

The definitions that are usually used are:
Word = Most comfortable size for ALU et al.  For example, a 68000 has a
16-bit word, while a 68020 has a 32-bit word.
Byte = Smallest addressable unit.  Again, this is not always the case.  When
it isn't, it's usually used to mean the size of a character (which can be
anywhere from 6 to 64 bits!).

Sean.
--
Sean Eric Fagan  | "What the caterpillar calls the end of the world,
seanf@sco.UUCP   |  the master calls a butterfly."  -- Richard Bach