[rec.arts.startrek] moderated rec.arts.startrek offshoot

brown@vidiot.UUCP (Vidiot) (12/17/89)

In article <1989Dec14.162845.11079@talos.uu.net> kjones@talos.uu.net writes:
<Vidiot writes:
<
< > This is kind-of against the net rules, but even if someone else moderated
< > the group, I can still set up my system so that I can still post the guide,
< > schedules, etc.  I doubt that anyone would object.
<
<Hmmm, I didn't see anything against it in the newsgroup creation
<guidelines, although I'll admit that such a self-nomination could be
<interpreted as a powerplay.  In reality, I thought that I should be
<willing to back up my proposal with action.  Therefore I'm willing to
<moderate the group in lieu of any other volunteers.  As yet no
<volunteers have stepped forward.

Normally, when a person is a moderator, all information goes to that person
for posting/rejection.  In order to save money in shipping things to the
moderator, I was indicating that I would post directly to the net, the
schedules and the guides that I do.  What I post is expensive enough.  If
it is against the rules, I won't do it.
--
                harvard\     att!nicmad\
Vidiot            ucbvax!uwvax..........!astroatc!vidiot!brown

rjp1@cbnewsc.ATT.COM (on the jagged cliffs of Ngranek) (12/21/89)

In (Kyle Jones) writes:
>In article (Jeffrey A. Hallett) writes:

>> [...] it appears that the people who will read this new newsgroup
>> will not read the old one for the simple reason that the traffic will
>> not change more than an iota.  The old newsgroup will remain the same
>> and the new newsgroup will be a miniscule subset of it just for the
>> sake of a few people.

> Judging from the enthusiastic support rec.arts.startrek.info is
> receiving I think the number of interested readers is much more than a
> few.

Assuming that the new newsgroup is created, what might be the
total number of articles posted to it monthly?  On the average?

I'm just curious...

One might argue that the readership of r.a.startrek will decrease
because the new group will be taking away all of the best or most
informative (juiciest) articles.

I'd be inclined to read the new group only.  But I might for a while,
skim through the old group until it inevitably falls into total
irrelevancy.

Just my .02 cents worth...

--									    --
rj pietkivitch							att!ihlpa!rjp1

kjones@talos.uu.net (Kyle Jones) (12/22/89)

rjp1@cbnewsc.ATT.COM writes:
 > Assuming that the new newsgroup is created, what might be the
 > total number of articles posted to it monthly?  On the average?

I'd guess around 15 to 20 core postings a month plsu a random number of
user submissions.  The core postings are the Vidiot's stuff, Chris
Wayne's station listings, Roger Noe's credit listings, and Ed
Whiteside's schedules.

 > One might argue that the readership of r.a.startrek will decrease
 > because the new group will be taking away all of the best or most
 > informative (juiciest) articles.

I know some people plan to unsubscribe to r.a.s once the new group is
created; they said as much in e-mail to me.  Still, the info group will
lack the humor and feedback of the discussion forum, and I for one would
miss that.  There are people in r.a.s that write consistently good
discussion type articles and I believe they do it because they enjoy
doing so.  There's no reason to believe they won't continue to do so.