[rec.arts.startrek] rec.arts.startrek.info - a moderator proposal and then some

griffith@con.Berkeley.EDU (Jim "The Big Dweeb" Griffith) (12/17/89)

First off, I'd like to propose that the group be joint moderated by
Mike Brown (Vidiot) and myself.  Mike's posting are generally of a
nature where they'd be posted to the group anyways.  Between the
two of us, I think we'd do a pretty good job.

Second, whether or not I am a moderator, I'd like to outline what *I* see
to be the criteria for articles in this group.  Due to the one-week
expiration date of news articles at my site (due to space limitations -
we receive *all* groups), I missed the original proposal.  This is based
on what people have said since the original proposal.

	1) Announcement of upcoming conventions, appearances, televised
	   interviews, or anything of similar nature.

	2) Post-convention summaries, primarily consisting of summaries
	   of guest speakers' talks.

	3) Word-for-word copies of newspaper articles.  Said articles should
	   deal with specific Star Trek news, such as news about upcoming
	   movies, episodes, interviews with Star Trek people.  Articles
	   expressing opinions, such as movie reviews, would not generally
	   be accepted.

	4) Advertisements for Star Trek related offers, such as the Franklin
	   Mint Enterprise replicas.

	5) Any other information which comes *first-hand* from a Star Trek
	   source (writers, production people, cast members).

	6) Official Paramount press releases and information.

Of these, items 1 and 4 are probably the most difficult to moderate.  Many
conventions are not specifically Star Trek oriented.  Any such conventions
must have some obvious connection to Star Trek in order to warrant being
posted.

Advertisements are also somewhat difficult, as there are a lot of hucksters
out there.  My initial reaction is that any advertisement that qualifies
must be from a source that does not normally or regularly promote or market
Star Trek goods.  This would allow advertisements for the Kraft Marshmallow
Dispenser, but not for advertisements from Lincoln Enterprises, etc.

Anyways, this is just my impression of how the group would be run.  Assuming
that this basic outline is followed, then "rec.arts.startrek.info" is more
appropriate than "rec.arts.startrek.announce", as items in group 2 aren't
announcements per se.  I'm proposing all of this for general discussion, so
please comment on the appropriateness (or inappropriateness) of what I'm
proposing.

				    Jim

Jim Griffith  /--OO--\     |
 ...!ucbvax!scam!griffith  | 		"Take my Worf.  Please"
BEWARE BATS WITHOUT NOSES! |

flint@me.utoronto.ca (Kenneth R. Flint) (12/18/89)

griffith@con.Berkeley.EDU (Jim "The Big Dweeb" Griffith) writes:

>Anyways, this is just my impression of how the group would be run.  Assuming
>that this basic outline is followed, then "rec.arts.startrek.info" is more
>appropriate than "rec.arts.startrek.announce", as items in group 2 aren't
>announcements per se.  I'm proposing all of this for general discussion, so
>please comment on the appropriateness (or inappropriateness) of what I'm
>proposing.

As a first "knee-jerk" reaction, it looks like Jim has thought this out
very well and the outine (that I deleted) seems very appropriate.

Thus, I support what Jim has proposed.  I think the group designation,
"rec.arts.startrek.info", following Jim's outline, is a more appropriate
title as well.

Thanks for volunteering, Jim.
Ken
--
Kenneth Flint	flint@me.utoronto.ca 		UUCP: ...!utai!me!flint
		flint@me.toronto.edu

louise@pravda.gatech.edu (Louise Penberthy) (12/19/89)

In article <20771@pasteur.Berkeley.EDU> griffith@con.Berkeley.EDU (Jim "The Big Dweeb" Griffith) writes:
>[proposal for moderated rec.arts.startrek.announce]
>
>	1) Announcement of upcoming conventions, appearances, televised
>	   interviews, or anything of similar nature.

Would this include all actors who ever appeared on any of the
shows or in any of the movies?  Just the principals?  Who?  I
hope the former; I would like to hear if John DeLancie, for
instance, were to appear in some other show.

>	4) Advertisements for Star Trek related offers, such as the Franklin
>	   Mint Enterprise replicas.

And the VISA card?  :-)

>	5) Any other information which comes *first-hand* from a Star Trek
>	   source (writers, production people, cast members).

In other words, Mike Okuda would have to submit it himself,
instead of talking to someone else who would submit it?  At first
blush, this sounds too restrictive.  After all, very few of these
"first-hand" people read USENET News, isn't that so?

What is the usual method for choosing a moderator?  Didn't Kyle
Jones also offer to moderate?

I will be on vacation for two weeks, and so will be mum on the
subject for that time, but Jim's proposal sounds okay to me.

-- Louise Penberthy          | "... as well as several small areas of thermal
School of ICS, Georgia Tech  |  radiation and carbon dioxide emissions
Atlanta, GA  30332           |  indicative of combustion."     "*Campfires*,
louise@pravda.gatech.edu     |  Data."     "Is that not what I said?"

kjones@talos.uu.net (Kyle Jones) (12/19/89)

Jim "The Big Dweeb" Griffith outlines acceptable r.a.s.i postings:
 > [...]
 > 	4) Advertisements for Star Trek related offers, such as the Franklin
 > 	   Mint Enterprise replicas.

I recommend changing the word "advertisement", to "announcement".  If
we're talking about ads, you have to decide how often to allow the ad to
be repeated.  Announcements are one time only.  I've seen the Franklin
Mint replica mentioned several times in r.a.s, I'd rather see it only once
in r.a.s.i, if at all.

tvf@cci632.UUCP (Tom Frauenhofer) (12/19/89)

In article <20771@pasteur.Berkeley.EDU> griffith@con.Berkeley.EDU (Jim "The Big Dweeb" Griffith) writes:
->Second, whether or not I am a moderator, I'd like to outline what *I* see
->to be the criteria for articles in this group.  Due to the one-week
->expiration date of news articles at my site (due to space limitations -
->we receive *all* groups), I missed the original proposal.  This is based
->on what people have said since the original proposal.
->
->	3) Word-for-word copies of newspaper articles.  Said articles should
->	   deal with specific Star Trek news, such as news about upcoming
->	   movies, episodes, interviews with Star Trek people.  Articles
->	   expressing opinions, such as movie reviews, would not generally
->	   be accepted.

Be careful - this stuff is copyrighted.

Thomas V. Frauenhofer	...!rutgers!rochester!cci632!ccird7!tvf *or*
...!attctc!swamps!frau!tvf (tvf@frau, tvf@cci632)	Daffy Duck Sings:
"I once knew an acrobat's daughter who swung by her teeth from a noose. 'Til
one day her bridgework gave way, and she flew through the air like a Goose!"

Tom Frauenhofer writes:
 > Be careful - this stuff is copyrighted.

Very good point; if I were moderating I wouldn't touch these.  A pointer
to the magazine or newspaper should be sufficient, especially if the
publication is distributed nationally or internationally.  Excerpts from
local dailies are trickier; summaries of these articles would be
appropriate I think.

lori@hacgate.scg.hac.com (Lori Barfield) (12/20/89)

In article <1989Dec19.140829.23751@talos.uu.net> kjones@talos.uu.net writes:
>Very good point; if I were moderating I wouldn't touch these.  [...]

Excerpts made for purposes of review do not violate copyrights.  Full
reprints are a no-no without permission (hey, they gotta make a living too).
Use this rule of thumb:  Have you duplicated so much of the original
publication that your readers won't want to go buy their own to read
further?  Or have you just printed enough to highlight the interesting
parts so they can tell whether it's worth the $$?

I'd like to read rec.arts.startrek, but I just can't keep up with it.
The proposed newsgroup has my support.  There is a very clear line
between discussion (the original group) and announcements or non-editorial
reviews of published information (the proposed group).

...lori

cwayne@hydra.unm.edu (Chris Wayne SCONS) (12/21/89)

In article <6517@hacgate.scg.hac.com> lori@hacgate.UUCP (Lori Barfield) writes:
>Excerpts made for purposes of review do not violate copyrights.  Full
>reprints are a no-no without permission (hey, they gotta make a living too).
>Use this rule of thumb:  Have you duplicated so much of the original
>publication that your readers won't want to go buy their own to read
>further?  Or have you just printed enough to highlight the interesting
>parts so they can tell whether it's worth the $$?

     If I want the whole magazine, I'll get the whole thing (and I usually do,
I've picked up some of the weirdest magazines just to get the one paragraph
blurp reguarding startrek), if not, then I just want the article.  I could care
less how I get it or where it's from, it's not important, I'm a collector.
All that's important is that I get it with the author's name attached to it.

     One thing that is needed is that whenever someone does post all or part
of an article, is to include magazine, vol, page, paragraph, etc, instead of
saying "... in last week's TV Guide there is this article about ... ."  Boy,
that bugs me.

 Chris Wayne @ UNM        |  "THE CAST AND CREW OF STAR TREK WISH TO DEDICATE
 cwayne@charon.unm.edu    |   THIS FILM TO THE MEN AND WOMEN OF THE SPACESHIP
 --------aka--------------+   CHALLENGER, THEIR COURAGEOUS SPIRIT SHALL LIVE
  Don Quixote              \  ON TO THE 23RD CENTURY AND BEYOND."

jp@frog.UUCP (John Pimentel) (12/22/89)

In article <20771@pasteur.Berkeley.EDU> griffith@con.Berkeley.EDU (Jim "The Big Dweeb" Griffith) writes:

>First off, I'd like to propose that the group be joint moderated by
>Mike Brown (Vidiot) and myself.  Mike's posting are generally of a

Good, someone(s) have actually come out and said "here I am".

[...I have deleted Jim's proposal, because I agree fully with it and find
no errors in his approach.]

>Anyways, this is just my impression of how the group would be run.  Assuming
>that this basic outline is followed, then "rec.arts.startrek.info" is more
>appropriate than "rec.arts.startrek.announce",

I also agree here that rec.arts.startrek.info covers more the proposed group
rather than rec.arts.startrek.announce.

I also appreciate that Mike is volunteering (officially) since alot of info
(accurate and concise) has been coming from him. Even if he doesn't end up
being a part of the moderation team at the very least his input so go directly
on line.

---
Take care and have a good day.	 	John.

STANDARD DISCLAIMER APPLIES.