[rec.arts.startrek] call for discussion: rec.arts.startrek.info

kjones%talos@uunet.UU.NET (Kyle Jones) (12/12/89)

I propose a new moderated newsgroup rec.arts.startrek.info, that will be
devoted to Star Trek related postings that can be unambigously classified
as informational.  In my mind, these postings fall into one of these
categories:

    * Convention announcements
    * Program guides
    * Program synopses and credit listings
    * Schedule listings

These types of article are posted regularly to rec.arts.startrek.  However,
they are a trickle in comparison to the volume of the rest of the group.
The volume of rec.arts.startrek is high enough that the separation of
informational postings would be useful.  A short survey was taken in
rec.arts.startrek before this call was issued, and the e-mail response was
favorable (15 to 1).

brown@vidiot.UUCP (Vidiot) (12/19/89)

After e-mail conversation with Jim Griffith and if the net readers approve,
we would volunteer to be co-moderators of this group.
--
                harvard\     att!nicmad\
Vidiot            ucbvax!uwvax..........!astroatc!vidiot!brown

griffith@con.Berkeley.EDU (Jim "The Big Dweeb" Griffith) (12/19/89)

In article <325@vidiot.UUCP> brown@vidiot.UUCP (Vidiot) writes:
>After e-mail conversation with Jim Griffith and if the net readers approve,
>we would volunteer to be co-moderators of this group.

Let me amend this a bit.  We've been discussing this with Kyle and others,
and co-moderatorship is not really a good idea for this group.  We need
*one* place to send submissions, and *one* person to wade through them
and judge their suitability.  However, Vidiot should have the ability
to post his articles directly to the group, rather than being forced to
go through the moderator.  So regardless of whoever becomes moderator (and
it looks like me at this point), Vidiot will also be able to post.

				Jim

Jim Griffith  /--OO--\     |
 ...!ucbvax!scam!griffith  | 		"Take my Worf.  Please"
BEWARE BATS WITHOUT NOSES! |

jp@frog.UUCP (John Pimentel) (12/22/89)

In article <325@vidiot.UUCP> brown@vidiot.UUCP (Vidiot) writes:

>After e-mail conversation with Jim Griffith and if the net readers approve,
>we would volunteer to be co-moderators of this group.

I second the motion.
All those in favor send them (one or the other) an E-mail and tell them so.
All those opposed do the same.

---
Take care and have a good day.	 	John.

STANDARD DISCLAIMER APPLIES.
UUCP: frog!jp

In article <20805@pasteur.Berkeley.EDU> griffith@con.Berkeley.EDU.UUCP (Jim "The Big Dweeb" Griffith) writes:
>In article <325@vidiot.UUCP> brown@vidiot.UUCP (Vidiot) writes:
>>After e-mail conversation with Jim Griffith and if the net readers approve,
>>we would volunteer to be co-moderators of this group.
>
>Let me amend this a bit.  We've been discussing this with Kyle and others,
>and co-moderatorship is not really a good idea for this group.  We need
>*one* place to send submissions, and *one* person to wade through them

Whatever works.

>However, Vidiot should have the ability
>to post his articles directly to the group, rather than being forced to
>go through the moderator.

I still second the motion.

---

jp@frog.UUCP (John Pimentel) (12/23/89)

In article <5032@ptsfa.PacBell.COM> jmc@PacBell.COM (Jerry Carlin) writes:
>In article <8912121501.AA11524@talos.uu.net> kjones%talos@uunet.UU.NET writes:
>>I propose a new moderated newsgroup rec.arts.startrek.info:...
>>    * Convention announcements
>>    * Program guides
>>    * Program synopses and credit listings
>>    * Schedule listings
>
>I am 100% in agreement with this idea. I would like it even better if it
>were moderated!

Well, Jerry if you read the word right after "I propose a new" you would
clearly see (or at least I do) "moderated".

>--
>Jerry Carlin (415) 823-2441 {bellcore,sun,ames,pyramid}!pacbell!jmc
>To dream the impossible dream. To fight the unbeatable foe.

---

In article <7297@ficc.uu.net> peter@ficc.uu.net (Peter da Silva) writes:
>In article <4351@hydra.gatech.EDU> louise@pravda.UUCP (Louise Penberthy) writes:
>> I also think this is a good idea.
>
>Well, I think it's a really screwy idea. What you're gonna get is everyone
>thinking their stuff is 'info' and post to .info... or to both groups. It's

That is why the proposed group from the onset was proposed as MODERATED
with thus far TWO CO-MODERATORS. And if you bothered to read the proposal
you too would have seen it clearly stated "I proposed a new moderated group".

What ever happened to engaging brain before mouth (fingers)?

>If you want to improve the s/n ratio, there are a number of alternatives:
>	rec.arts.startrek.movies
>	rec.arts.startrek.books
>	rec.arts.startrek.original
>	rec.arts.startrek.new

Now you're blowing things way out of porportion!

>Also, you could try a moderated subgroup, a-la rec.humor.funny:
>
>	rec.arts.startrek.announce (moderated)
>	rec.arts.startrek.mod (moderated)
>	rec.arts.startrek.info (moderated)

>Or, you could segregate the flames into a seperate part of the hierarchy:
>	talk.startrek
>	alt.startrek
>	rec.arts.startrek.trekkie
>	rec.arts.startrek.trekker

What rock did you climb from under anyways :-)

>--
>`-_-' Peter da Silva. +1 713 274 5180. <peter@ficc.uu.net>.
> 'U`  Also <peter@ficc.lonestar.org> or <peter@sugar.lonestar.org>.
>"Scientific progress is predicated on name-calling and intolerance, not to
> mention asking lots of stupid questions." -- Mark S Madsen

---