[rec.arts.startrek] TREKKERS UNITE!!

rnoe@urbana.mcd.mot.com (Roger Noe) (02/03/90)

This followup has been cross-posted from rec.arts.startrek to
sci.space.shuttle with further followups directed to rec.arts.startrek.

In article <16595@eerie.acsu.Buffalo.EDU>, mathews@sybil (Ryan D Mathews) writes:
> For about ten years now, I've wanted to share with someone the
> thoughts that went through my head when I learned about naming the
> "first" Space Shuttle the Enterprise. This is what I thought:
>
> "You IDIOTS!! You utterly incompetant, moronic BOZOS!! YOU NAMED THE
> WRONG $#@%ING SHIP!!!!"
>
> Folks, the Enterprise was a TEST VEHICLE! It NEVER WENT INTO SPACE!
> It's NEVER GOING TO! Why the hell couldn't you gung-ho trekkies,
> trekkers, trekoids, and treknerds have waited for the real thing? I
> mean, naming the first spaceship the Enterprise is a neat idea... SO
> WHY DIDN'T YOU DO THAT??
>
> It's the Columbia that should be named the Enterprise. If those
> weiners had held their horses, the Enterprise would still be in the
> news today; Columbia is still going up regularly. But instead, the
> glorious Enterprise collects dust in a museum.

For about ten years now, I've wanted to share with someone the
thoughts that went through my head when I heard someone express
the ideas quoted above.  This is what I thought:

"You IDIOT!!  You utterly incompetent, moronic BOZO!!  THEY NAMED
 THE RIGHT $#@%ING SHIP, AT THE TIME IT WAS NAMED!!!!"

Ryan, the Enterprise was NOT intended to remain a TEST VEHICLE!  It
WAS SUPPOSED TO GO INTO SPACE!  This was a specific question which was
raised at the time, and NASA's officially stated position then was that
OV-101 (what we now call Enterprise) was indeed planned for regular
Earth-orbit missions following the approach and landing tests (ALT)
in which that orbiter vehicle was first carried, then later released
by the Boeing 747 shuttle carrier aircraft.  Only after OV-101, 102,
and 103 were named Enterprise, Columbia, and Discovery did Rockwell
International and NASA engineers decide the following:
	1. Enterprise would cost more to refurbish for flight status
following ALT than previously estimated.
	2. Structural Test Article 099 (STA-099), which had NOT been
planned for space missions, was in better shape than expected and could
be made ready for those missions at a cost much lower than previously
estimated.

Therefore they named STA-099 Challenger, refitted it for flight, and
left Enterprise to work for launch pad fit tests, structural tests, and
eventually occupy the place of highest honor in the National Air and
Space Museum.  I believe that NASA was being entirely forthright in
stating that they intended for OV-101 to make it into orbit and not
STA-099.  Therefore the Great Space Shuttle Naming Campaign did the
right thing at the right time, since the alternative would most likely
have resulted in NOT ONE of the orbiters being named Enterprise.  (That
name did not appear on NASA's list of preferred names.  The GSSN Campaign
specifically asked for the first shuttle to be sent into space to be
named Enterprise.)  The result was disappointing, but certainly not a
blunder on anyone's part, and not really a tragedy, either.  Challenger
literally took Enterprise's place in the shuttle fleet.  Would you have
preferred that the first space shuttle to disintegrate, to fail to return
from its mission, killing its entire crew to have been named Enterprise
rather than Challenger?  Instead, Enterprise is a permanent monument for
all to see.  Unlike its namesake in Star Trek III, the shuttle Enterprise
is invulnerable.  It was the first shuttle to FLY.  Challenger is no more,
and people easily confuse Columbia, Discovery, Atlantis (and one day also
Endeavour), but Enterprise shares its special position of glory with none
of them.  How can one be dissatisfied with that?

The mocking tone with which I began this response is only partly
meant to be taken in jest.  In the future, it would be wiser to collect
information first by asking a simple question than to haul off and
call people names.  It's not so much that I mind myself and a few
hundred respected friends being called idiots and utterly incompetent,
moronic bozos--if the epithets are deserved, that's one thing.  No,
the offensive aspect to the posting was that you didn't know anything
about what you were writing!

If I have misstated anything (chronology, whatever) above, I apologize
in advance.  Those events occurred what seems so long ago that I'm not
certain I got every detail right.  But the salient points are all present
and correct.  I'm confident if I missed anything, no matter how small,
this will be followed up by someone else.
--
Roger Noe               Motorola Microcomputer Division, Urbana Design Center
Phone:  217 384-8536        1101 East University Avenue, Urbana, IL 61801 USA