[rec.arts.startrek] I've got gifs to post!

dave@compnect.UUCP (Dave Ratcliffe) (12/08/90)

In article <924@tsnews.Convergent.COM>, ward@tsnews.Convergent.COM (Ward Griffiths) writes:
> stanley@phoenix.com (John Stanley) writes:
> >   No no no no no no. Do NOT tar them.
> >   And do NOT compress them.
> >   Doing that cuts out a large part of the community that has only PC's.
>
> Well, this is Usenet.  As such, it is oriented in the
> direction of Unix and the standard utilities that are
> part of it.

Lordie! Don't say that to all the sites running VAX systems with VMS.. they'll
positively faint dead away!

> Remember, the PC weenies have literally
> thousands of BBS's at their disposal.  Unix hackers
> don't.

(donning flame-retardent Sys-Admin suit)

I, sir, am a 'PC weenie' AND a Unix hacker. And the number of BBS's for PC's
means nothing except MS-DOS has been available to the common man longer than
unix.

> Perhaps I'm a bit prejudiced.

A _BIT_? (Understatement award, 1st class)

> I learned Unix before
> I learned MeSs-DOS, with MS-DOS being the thirteenth
> operating system I learned.

Meaning what? Because it wasn't what you were weaned on that it's lower
in class somehow? Give me a break....

> I never learned to
> respect Microsoft's silly operating system, probably
> because I already had experience with many better.

Now you need some experience in diplomacy. Just because Bo knows Unix
don't mean Bo be better.....

> Besides, there have been PC ports of both tar and
> compress for years.  Both on archive sites and on
> BBS's.  But don't encourage waste of bandwidth just
> to guard against the laziness of PC users.

And don't assume that because YOU are aware of that fact that others are
as well.

I have major trouble putting up with people who hold that Usenet is for
Unix systems and all others should kow-tow to the Unix lords. This
community is made up of COMPUTER USERS, Not Unix or Messy-Dos, or CP/M
or MP/M or VMS or any other OS. If you have problems with that concept,
perhaps you should log into a FIDO system and join the OS wars they
always seem to have.

If you feel like flaming back, feel free as I've dodged them before.
Before you do, I suggest you think before slamming those with MS-DOS.
YOU may not like it but there are plenty of people out there who have
nothing else and are perfectly happy with it.

For those in r.a.s. who don't like this thread, note the cross-post and

And Ward.... next time you wanna tell someone that there is an MS-DOS
version of compress and uuencode, just TELL them and leave the attitude
in /dev/null where it belongs.

       *>> Dave <<*

: uunet!rutgers!psuvax1!eds1!wa3wbu!compnect!dave   | The Data Factory BBS  :
: uunet!wa3wbu!compnect!dave                        |    (717)657-4997      :
: dave@compnect.uucp or compnect!dave@uunet.UU.NET  |    (717)657-4992      :