[rec.arts.startrek] Space Shuttle Enterprise

noe@sunc4.cs.uiuc.edu (Roger Noe) (04/24/91)

Follow-ups directed to sci.space.shuttle.

In article <1648@vtserf.cc.vt.edu> jarrell@vtserf.cc.vt.edu (Ron Jarrell) writes:
>Huntsville has the Pathfinder on display.  My friends at Marshall tell
>me that it was an orbiter body built for vibration tests prior to
>the drop tests, as such it's an orbiter, but not built to fly.
>(Pathfinder's existence might explain why there's a number missing in
>the OV series... It's usually the one left out of lists.)

Can someone confirm this?  Is OV-100 Pathfinder?  One of the lists Ron Jarrell
refers to would look like the following:
	OV-099 Challenger
	OV-101 Enterprise
	OV-102 Columbia
	OV-103 Discovery
	OV-104 Atlantis
	OV-105 Endeavour
I assume they actually started the numbering scheme at 101, with what were to
be the operational OV bodies, and then backtracked when Challenger was turned
into an operational OV.  Does anyone know differently?
--
Roger Noe                            roger-noe@uiuc.edu
Department of Computer Science       noe@cs.uiuc.edu