[rec.arts.comics] Omega.Mosley the racist

c8-2ck@seymour.Berkeley.EDU.UUCP (11/01/87)

In article <6684@ut-ngp.UUCP> emp@ut-ngp.UUCP (Omega.Mosley) writes:
>Disclaimer: Just because the Japs can put out weekly, expensive comics
>	   doesn't mean WE have to!

FLAME ON

Okay, Mosley.  I've put up with your postings long enough.  I knew that
you were ignorant, opinionated, and an all-around asshole.  But just a few
days after I publicly corrected Derrick Rowlandson on using the term "Jap",
YOU go ahead and use it yourself.

Are you really that stupid, or are you just plain racist?  Somehow I tend to
lean towards both.  You've got no compunctions about insulting anybody, do
you, sitting behind your fake little name to protect you from all the harms
of the world.

Get it through your thick skull, you miserable excuse for a human.  In this
day and age, you don't use the term "Jap".  Or "kike", or "wop", or "nigger",
or "Polack", or "Chink", or "wetback", or any number of insults -- unless
you plan on spending the rest of your life in your safe little white-bread
neighborhoods where there couldn't POSSIBLY be ANYONE AROUND who could EVER
take offense.  After all, who's to complain?  You're all good Christians,
good Texans, you all look fucking alike anyway...

FLAME OFF

(Apologies to all you other Texans and Christians out there.  I'm sure there
are some good ones out there, although I have yet to meet any.)

-Eric Sadoyama

emp@ut-ngp.UUCP (11/02/87)

...Eric, for your information, I have a late uncle who was Black, and my ex-
fiancee was Hispanic (Mexican-American? Chicano? I say one meaning
well, and am corrected with the other...). Also, some of my best friends
are Jewish, Polish, and Indian Indian. Oh yes, two of my business associates
are from the isle of Nippon, and I consider them personal friends who I trust
with my life.

...they call themselves Japs as well. They also use the term "Japanimation"
quite frequently, and look upon it as a positive term of grouping, and not
a racial slur at all.

...I respect your complaints, but I feel that this time all you did was
gripe for the sake of griping. You completely ignored the focus of the
post that pissed you off just so you could stand up and complain "OM's
a racist! He used the word "Jap" in a post!!!"". Don't you think that if
I WAS a racist, that I'd have already posted stuff to that extent by now?
Most racists I've known in my lifetime have never hesitated to use the
slur as a means of descriptive communication, especially if it really
doesn't even enter into the conversation by one iota!

...So, if I pissed you off, Eric, I apologize. However, you could have
handled yourself with a bit more proper accord than you did.

						OM

Discalmer: To get as upset as you did, Eric, is the type of action that
	   puts any claims of civil rights violations in the toilet. You
	   seriously should consider toning down your stance, otherwise
           some other asshole (one WITHOUT tact) will use your sore spot
	   to his own sick advantage.

hhaller@pnet01.UUCP (11/02/87)

Yeah, racial predjudice is a terrible thing. I tell you it's awful when a
decent, loyal Indian gets treated like a nigger, kike, wop, or spic.
   - Joseph Heller, _Catch 22_
()

rc1-dh@thoth2.berkeley.edu.UUCP (11/03/87)

In article <6688@ut-ngp.UUCP> emp@ut-ngp.UUCP (Omega.Mosley) writes:
>are Jewish, Polish, and Indian Indian. Oh yes, two of my business associates
>are from the isle of Nippon, and I consider them personal friends who I trust
>with my life.
>
>...they call themselves Japs as well. They also use the term "Japanimation"
>quite frequently, and look upon it as a positive term of grouping, and not
>a racial slur at all.

Obviously, OM does not know the difference between how
Japanese take the word "Jap" and how Japanese Americans take
it.  It was the Japanese Americans who were forced into
concentration camps during WWII and maliciously called "Japs."
"Business associates" from Japan are most likely ignorant of
the full implication of the word and therefore feel no
inhibition of casually use it, much in the same way OM
casually used it as an abbreviation for "Japanese."
But Japanese calling himself a "Jap" is no different from a
WASP American calling himself a "Gringo" in Spanish-speaking
places or "Gaijin" in Japan, not knowing that both are
actually derogatory terms.
		Takayuki Karahashi,
			 from the Valley of the Wind