[rec.arts.comics] Iceman's Belt

csdbl@uoft02.utoledo.edu (12/14/90)

In article <1990Dec14.033141.14200@midway.uchicago.edu>, cb_6z@gsbacd.uchicago.edu writes:
> In article <1990Dec13.111207.2464@uoft02.utoledo.edu>, csdbl@uoft02.utoledo.edu writes...
>
>>While reading thru the latest issue of X-Men (yes, I do read it, have been
>>since the beginning), I noticed that Bobby (Iceman) was not wearing the belt
>>that keeps his powers in check. Does this mean that (Finally!) he is getting
>>control of his powers back again? I, for one, will be glad if this is the case.
>>I am getting a little tired of characters losing control of their powers and
>>then taking what seems like forever to get control back (ShadowCat,
>>NightCrawler for example). I think it's interesting to see how the characters
>>deal with the situation of having to do without their powers, but in most cases
>>the situation is dragged out for an eternity. If Bobby has to continue to wear
>>the belt, maybe they should get someone to design a streamlined version that
>>looks less obtrusive (IMHO, of course).
>

> Just how did Bobby lose controal of his powers, and what will happen if he takes his
> the belt off?  Does he have to wear it to bed too?
>
> Also what happened to Nightcrawler and Shadowcat?

Bobby was taken prisoner by Loki during one of his many attempts to take over
Asgard. Loki enhanced his power to the point that Asgard's weather was being
effected, which attracted the Frost Giants, who subsequently got their butts
kicked back out of Asgard. I forget where the belt came from, but he originally
needed it to keep his powers in check after Loki's mucking around. Without the
belt he would immediately 'ice up' involuntarily, and his power would cause the
surrounding area to go into a deep freeze (maybe that's why the bathroom was
solid ice!).

NightCrawler and ShadowCat were both injured in the run-in with the Marauders
during the Fall of the Mutants storyline. Kurt can't teleport more than once or
twice without getting extremely weak. Kitty was stuck in her phased state and
is just now showing signs of getting control back. Even now her natural state
is to be intangible; she has to concentrate to maintain a solid form.