[rec.arts.comics] Misc. _Cerebus_ stuff

hartman@cs.swarthmore.edu (Zorn of Zorna) (12/15/90)

djo@PacBell.COM (Dan'l DanehyOakes) writes:
> Makes me wonder, sommat.  Remember how C. used to refer to himself
> with phrases like "the earth-pig born," etc.?  Obvious take-offs of
> Marvelisms, but also clear that he thought of aardvarkhood as some
> special estate...
   Not only that, but it might indicate that he was born that way, thus
taking away credence from the theories that aardvarks are constructed
from humans (which is usually supported by the dream sequence involving
Astoria "changing the baby into an aardvark" (though that quotation
probably isn't exact)).

   While I'm posting, might as well mention: in an earlier posting, I
noted that it was odd that "Sebastien"'s friend always walks to his
left, and thus is speaking into his (presumably) damaged ear.  What I
meant to say was that it would seem to make more sense to talk into an
ear that isn't entirely covered with bandages, even if there's nothing
at all wrong with the bandaged ear.  Sorry for the confusion cause by my
inept phrasing.

   And heck, I'll also throw in a couple of questions (I've been
re-reading the Biweeklies):
   Issue 23 or so indicates that Katrina is Julius' niece, and Jaka had
said at the end of #16 that she was going to Palnu.  And Katrina's
sister told Katrina and Theresa and Janette about the fracas at the
Festival of Petunias (in #16).  Is Katrina Jaka's sister, as I assumed
the first time I read this?  If so, why isn't she mentioned in _Jaka's
Story_?  Regardless, why did Jaka say she was going back to Palnu and
then not do so (since _Jaka's Story_ Epilogue #2 indicates she hasn't
been back in twelve years)?
   How did Theresa get from Claremont's place (and in a deep sleep), in
Lower Felda (I think), to Iest, and what happened to Katrina and
Janette?
   How old is Astoria?  Evidence regarding this was posted back during
the last round of "Is Cerebus Astoria's child?", but I neglected to keep
track of it.  Was the party in _Jaka's Story_ really at the time of
Astoria's 18th birthday?  (How long had she been married to Julius at
the time?)  If so, then she's only six years older than Jaka, or about
five (?) years older than Cerebus.

--jed, full of questions as usual.
--
hartman@{campus.swarthmore.edu, swarthmr.bitnet}
"Know all the Questions, but not the Answers / Look for the Different