[rec.arts.comics] What's Good At Marvel

rjohnson@vela.acs.oakland.edu (R o d Johnson) (12/15/90)

In article <51274@eerie.acsu.Buffalo.EDU> v116r8ac@ubvmsb.cc.buffalo.edu writes:
>In article <AbNyr3a00VpH8kIUsR@andrew.cmu.edu>, hm0f+@andrew.cmu.edu (Hugh Moore) writes...

>>CJ Cherryh couldn't write her way into a wet paper bag, much less out.

>You most certainly are mad.  To believe such nonsense as you appear to, one
>would have to be extremely out of his mind.  CJ Cherryh is one of the best
>authors there is, right next to Diane Duane, David Eddings, Gael Baudino,
>and too many more for me to remember.  To beleive that CJC has no talent,
>you would have to be out of your mind - if, that is, you have one.

Well, I think Hugh's comment was bit hyperbolic, perhaps, but to call
Cherryh "one of the best out there" is also a bit much.  I like
Cherryh, and I think she's grown hugely as a writer, but she's still
not among the truly great.  Jerry's list was a good one: Crowley,
Wolfe, LeGuin, Disch, Dick, Wilhelm, Tiptree, Ellison, et al. (the
list bears repeating, I think).  Have you read any of those people?

To put Diane Duane and *David Eddings* in the top rank of SF writers,
My God.  It's overdoing it to say Cherryh has no talent, but it might
be nearer the mark to say you have no taste.

(Eddings. . . the mind reels.)

--
 * Rod Johnson  *  rjohnson@vela.acs.oakland.edu  *  (313) 650 2315 *

                    "Become FUEL, you FOSSILS!"
                                    --Ambush Bug

bobek@triton.unm.edu (Pisces) (12/15/90)

The Mad Uncle writes:

>>Just try and tell me that Katherine Kurtz, David Brin, CJ Cherryh,
>>and many others are not good writers fully deserving of Literary respect
>>and recognition!!

>CJ Cherryh couldn't write her way into a wet paper bag, much less out.

Katherine Kurtz?
Geeez, Deryni - though an innovative TWIST - is NOT original, nor
"great literature."

David Brin?
Besides his Deadworld/Nightworld?  He is a psuedo-scientist tripe writer,
and HE ADMITS it.

CJ Cherryh?
Now we're really scraping the barrel.  I suppose you like
David and Janet Morris too?

No mean to flame, but Get a Repretoire!  WATCHMEN is a thousand times
better than all of their books together.  Go out and spend the
20 bucks on it and I guarantee you that it will not be wasted.

Granted, you may not like it - but it will not be wasted.

In article <0bO9bdi00VpEBIO14M@andrew.cmu.edu> hm0f+@andrew.cmu.edu (Hugh Moore) writes:
>... I can have some respect for a good hack like Heinlein...

Good hacks -- like Shakespeare, Dumas, and Dickens -- often are remembered
long after the "literary" fiction of their time is dead and gone.
--
"The average pointer, statistically,    |Henry Spencer at U of Toronto Zoology
points somewhere in X." -Hugh Redelmeier| henry@zoo.toronto.edu   utzoo!henry