[rec.pets] question about rhinos

bala@arizona.edu (Bala Vasireddi) (06/01/87)

Hello there,

   I am sorry if this question has passed through this group before,
but I have a dollar riding on this bet.

   The other day, my friend and I were watching the movie 'The gods
must be crazy', and there was a scene in which the hero and heroine
build a fire during the night in the african jungle, and a rhino on
seeing the fire charges out and puts the fire out by trampling it.
And then .... In the next scene the hero tries to explain to the
terrified heroine, the rhinos are some sort of firefighters of the
jungle, which the herione refuses to believe.

   Anyway, the question is "Do rhinos actually put out fires?"

Any information (including sources, if possible), opinions will be
gladly appreciated.

						bala.

P.S: I bet it is true. I vaguely remember reading it in the book
     "The African Adventure" (I think) by Willard Price when I was
     in grade school.

bala@arizona.edu (Bala Vasireddi) (06/02/87)

Oops i goofed. I didn't include my return address in my original
posting. So here it goes again.

Sorry guys..

--
Balachander Vasireddi           {ihnp4, allegra, cmc12..}!arizona!bala :UUCP
Dept. of Computer Science,      bala@arizona.edu    :ARPA

ccs006@deneb.UUCP (06/03/87)

> Oops i goofed. I didn't include my return address in my original
> posting. So here it goes again.
>
> Sorry guys..
>
>    Anyway, the question is "Do rhinos actually put out fires?"
>
> Any information (including sources, if possible), opinions will be
> gladly appreciated.
>
> 						bala.
>
> P.S: I bet it is true. I vaguely remember reading it in the book
>      "The African Adventure" (I think) by Willard Price when I was
>      in grade school.
> --
> Balachander Vasireddi           {ihnp4, allegra, cmc12..}!arizona!bala :UUCP
> Dept. of Computer Science,      bala@arizona.edu    :ARPA
> Univ. of Arizona,               bala@arizona.csnet  :CSNET
> Tucson, AZ 85721.

 Hey, POST IT!

 I've been wondering too...

					  Eric

Disclaimer: this is mine, not my employers'

kokubu@cmcl2.UUCP (06/10/87)

On the question about rhinos brought up by the film "The Gods Must Be
Crazy", it is my considered opinion, as someone who has lived in the
woods of New England and observed North American wildlife, that all
wild animals are afraid of fire. My friends and I discussed that scene
after seeing the film. We concluded that the rhino was a dummy (fake)
and that the scene was not to be taken seriously, as was much of the
slapstick in the movie.

aaa@homxb.UUCP (Wale Akinpelu) (06/11/87)

In article <16465@cmcl2.NYU.EDU>, kokubu@cmcl2.NYU.EDU (Gale Kokubu) writes:
> On the question about rhinos brought up by the film "The Gods Must Be
> Crazy", it is my considered opinion, as someone who has lived in the
> woods of New England and observed North American wildlife, that all
> wild animals are afraid of fire. My friends and I discussed that scene
> after seeing the film. We concluded that the rhino was a dummy (fake)
> and that the scene was not to be taken seriously, as was much of the
> slapstick in the movie.

Is not only wild animals but all animals are afraid of fire. I was
in Kenya Safari couple of years ago and our host had campfire in about
four locations in the camp. Note that this technique does not
work if the animal is threatened.

Within the Safari itself, there were people living with the animals.
On would expect that they will have campfire around their zone every
time, but they do not. Our host explained to us that the animals
can  identify them as being friendly and simply don't attack them.

Wale Akinpelu
..{ihnp4!cbosgd!allegra}!homxb!aaa