[rec.pets] 10 gallon marine tanks

In article <9403@shemp.UCLA.EDU> jason@CS.UCLA.EDU (Jason Rosenberg) writes:
>In article <7054@pur-ee.UUCP> tom@pur-ee.UUCP (Tom McCain) writes:
>>In article <1147@homxb.UUCP> agd@homxb.UUCP (A.DEACON) writes:
>>Sorry, I did forget to mention that I seeded the tank from a very well
>>established 250 gal. tank.  My tank is a 10 gal. I used about a cup of
>>crushed coral from the 250 to seed my tank.  As far as the filters I am
>>using a Biozonics under gravel filter and I have a Penguin 110 outside
>>filter both seem to be working well.
>>

>A power filter in 10 gallon tank during nitrification is really not necessary,
>possibly even a hinderance.  I would also be concerned about the size of your
>tank.  10 Gals is awfully small for marine setup.  You shouldn't expect to
>add much more than a few damsels and perhaps a hermit crab and or shrimp.
                      ^^^

Even a *few* damsels is more that a ten gallon tank is capable of
supporting if they ar expected to grow.

For a tank that small, neon gobies, dwarf or regular seahorses,
banded pipefish, or a invertibrate tank would be a goood choice.

>Dude, black mollies are freshwater fish.

Well, actually they are *brackish* water fish, and can tolerate, for the
most part, instantaneous transition into either fresh and salt water.

There is an account in Innes (1938) of a south american characin,
Leporinus fasciatus jumping from a fresh water tank to a salt
water tank of a different tamprature, and nobody noticed for
many hours

Actually most of the livebearers are like this. I'm not saying
that your prize hifin variatus platies can take being chucked
into a marine tank, their wild parents probably waould'nt have
had a problem. Their brackish water ancestry is why livebearers
like *some* salt in the water. And the fact that they are for the
most part herbivorous is why they are not great beginners fish.

--
Richard J. Sexton
INTERNET:     richard@gryphon.CTS.COM

"It's too dark to put the keys in my ignt lioo-ide